My 29 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
My 29 gallon planted tank

Hi everybody,
I've been in the hobby for 6-7 years and I had a couple tanks but they weren't anything special nor did they look that great. For the past two years I've been taking a break from submersed plants and have been doing emersed setups but this summer I decided I'd try submersed again. I had set up my 29 gallon tank at the beginning of summer and put in emersed HC but then i went away for the rest of the summer for an summer program/internship. Before I left the HC was filling in nicely but when I came back everything was in really bad condition with mold and fungus rampant. I left it like this for 1-2 months because I was too lazy to clean it and then one day had a spurt of energy to go through and set it up anyways. I wiped off the algae and mold from the glass and picked out the rotting plants and flooded the tank. The algae from the DSM died off but the BGA remained and infested my tank. I started to put in plants and cycled using tetra safestart plus (great product btw). Added fish and more plants, and nuked the BGA with ethromycin. Tank has been set up for 2 months i think, and I just added 22 supreme red shrimps last week. Everyone has been doing well. I added a lot of my plants from my emersed tanks and I'm happy with their transition

This is my second journal ever! My first planted tank looked like this
First planted tank in 2010

Tank Specs
Used standard 29 gallon tank I got as an RAOK with glass canopy
(3) 23 watt 6500k fixtures 7 hr photoperiod
Used Fluval Stratum/Flourite black sand/Black eco complete mixture (got it used with the tank for free)
Rena xp2 filter with xp3 impeller (used filter my brother had laying around)
Used 150W Eheim Jager Heater (also came with the tank)
Pressurized co2 using a stainless steel mini dual stage regulator that I built with clippard mouse solenoid and SMC as1200 needle valve.

Flora I realize this is a huge list but I couldn't help just putting in a bunch of interesting and unique plants haha especially since I collect plants for my emersed collection
Dwarf Hairgrass (not sure of sp. asking seller)
Staurogyne Repens
HC Dwarf baby tears
blyxa japonica
rotala singapore
hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
anubias petite
anubias nana
anubias nana 'variegated'
ludwigia sp red (converting from emersed)
ludwigia suffruticosa
ludwigia sphaerocarpa (converting from emersed)
Hyptis Lorentzianna (converting from emersed)
C. cordata rosanervig (converting from emersed)
Hygrophila argauia (converting from emersed)
Hygrophla Lancea (converting from emersed)
Persicaria praetermissa (polygonum... converting from emersed)
Alternanthera reineckii ocipus (converting from emersed)
Alternanthera reineckii 'variegated' (converting from emersed, not rosanervig version)
Limnophila aromatica
unidentified ludwigia (i think it's ludwigia arcuata)

Fauna
5 glowlight tetras (i really like these guys, subtle yet their orange stripe is mesmerizing along with white rimmed fins)
1 silver tipped tetra named alpaca (gf bought and named this one )
4 ottos
22 supreme red shrimp
5 ghost shrimp (3 of them have been moved into unheated marbled cray tank and surprisingly are still alive... of the two that are still in the tank, one of them is berried and ready to drop and the other i just didn't feel like taking him out yet)

funny thing is that the silver tipped tetra leads the other 5 glowlights when they school LOL

Pictures of the tank. All taken with my iphone

HC carpet filling in

Otto hanging out, trying to figure out what that red spot is//if i should be concerned

side view shot

Hydrocotyle bed, grows too fast... considering replacing with downoi bed

ghost shrimp carrying eggs (this is why i didn't want to move her to the crayfish tank, a bit cruel... i know the larvae won't survive though)

Hygropila Lancea coverting from emersed and putting out maroon/purple leaves. Great color! slow grower though..

Alternanthera reineckii variegated converting from emersed, this plant has went from submersed to emersed and back to submersed. kept its mottled variegation coloration so it's stable and not like the rosanervig virus which gives pale veins.

Alternanthera reineckii var 'ocipus' converting from emersed. The leaves are not the deep magenta red of regular reineckii and is a more salmon color. I love the hue. When grown emersed the tops are yellow/green and undersides are pink.

underside

topside

Blyxa japonica, i could never grow this before in my first tank but this time i got a plantlet for free in a transaction and it's taken off. A nice hue of red!

Plant glass with a Buce inside and a sprig of HC. Hydrocotyle japan wrapped around suction cup and just grows as a wad. it grows too damn fast, the mass started as a spare strand a couple weeks ago...

Anubias bed tied to lava rock and resting on the surface of substrate. petite-->nana-->nana variegated

Ludwigia sphaerocarpa planted last week. Converting from emersed form hopefully my tank specs can grow it and maybe it'll even show a bit of red!

Aromatica in the back left. Ludwigia sp red converting to submersed form (i never knew it was such a red plant!!) Ludwigia arcuata on the right? any thoughts?

Ludwigia suffruticosa bed on lower left. Colors are washed out but in real life the leaves are yellow with pink tints and pink undersides. Very pretty, pics don't do it any justice

Glowlights schooling. Rotala singapore on the right

Shrimpies!

gotta love silly ottos

In terms of aquascaping I think it's subpar to the other threads but for me I think I made progress on making a tank look more presentable. I should really take out a few species... but I love them all LOL I will try to update if people are interested.

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay so I need advice, I originally planned the tank to include that driftwood branch you see from my first planted tank. It's supposed to go where the flame moss pads are
the top of the rocks on the left

the far right where the moss pads are

Here's the wood piece tied to slate

I wanted to put it there so it was kind of like a tree on a rocky terraced hill and tie the flame moss to it. What do you guys think? I asked my gf she says she thinks it'd look weird
Any suggestions? I can put a large rock piece there if necessary

The wood piece is not quite as large as the first picture makes it seem but you get the idea...

-Neil
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Looks good. This has a lot of potential as it fills in! I like the current layout, but it would also look good with flame moss on that driftwood. I'm not really the best when it comes to aquascaping. Hopefully one of the folks that has a keen eye will chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i think you should just try it in a smaller tank(if you have one). Just to see if you like it. if not, just try it out in your main tank. Just let the moss grow on the drift wood and just see if you like it. If you dont, just take the moss off of the drift wood and just plant it back in your substrate.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think I'll just stick it in there sans flame moss and see how it loos//take pictures for you guys

-Neil
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks great!

~Sam

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@TheTrigger
Thanks! I was a bit worried about what other people thought of my tank haha. Personally I'm satisfied where I am with it right now and I suppose that's all that matters. Though honestly I actually planted the scape to just be mostly HC with some anubias, staurogyne, and maybe one or two stems but obviously that didn't happen LOL

-Neil
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
@TheTrigger
Thanks! I was a bit worried about what other people thought of my tank haha. Personally I'm satisfied where I am with it right now and I suppose that's all that matters. Though honestly I actually planted the scape to just be mostly HC with some anubias, staurogyne, and maybe one or two stems but obviously that didn't happen LOL
I ditched my 29. Had it for 7 years and I was never fully satisfied with anything I did with it. Height was always an issue for me. Clearly you've shown that you've had more luck than me lol. I've since swapped my 29 for a 20 long. So far I'm getting great results! For the first time in all the time I've been doing this I'm successfully growing an HC carpet. But the tank looks great, and if you're satisfied, than that's all that matters!

~Sam

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah height is definitely an issue, it makes a lot of the rock work look very awkward. I think that's why I put in the branch because it takes up half the tank basically. I think it'd look better with a branch on the rock ledge I've made, will definitely try it tomorrow.

I had another piece that'd have been great for this tank but it's a trunk with roots kind of piece so I decided not to use it because it'd be very weird in the same tank as the branch.

I'm going to buy myself a mr. aqua 12 gallon long next

Plus I got the whole tank+equipment+substrate+rocks for free so who am I to complain! LOL

-Neil
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I couldn't agree more. Everything in my tank was awkward for me. The height threw everything out of scale and proportion.

~Sam

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've seen some really nice 29 gallon scapes so it's definitely possible but they all had that big bushes of rotala red/green contrast scheme going on. For 29 gallon tanks maybe you could just build an enclosed hood and block a quarter of the height LOL.

As a sidenote I needa get a black background on this thing. I'm thinking of just getting cardboard and spray painting it black and attaching to the back.

-Neil
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
I've seen some really nice 29 gallon scapes so it's definitely possible but they all had that big bushes of rotala red/green contrast scheme going on. For 29 gallon tanks maybe you could just build an enclosed hood and block a quarter of the height LOL.

As a sidenote I needa get a black background on this thing. I'm thinking of just getting cardboard and spray painting it black and attaching to the back.
Yup. I've got a piece of poster board behind mine. Wish I would have spray painted it from the start

~Sam

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Put in the wood, what do you guys think? Also added on the black background!

-Neil
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like the way it looks and I plan to tie on the flame moss and attach some trident ferns in the left corner.

My staurogyne repens in the last picture melted/shed all their leaves last week for some reason. They're coming back now. I wonder what causes this...

-Neil
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Mine do the same thing sometimes. Some leaves get brown and just die, than grow back normally. Strange considering everything grows fine without the same issue as the repens

~Sam

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode