My Planted Salty Photo Album - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Arrow My Planted Salty Photo Album

This is my very first salty, but I am trying to do the same thing as I have done with our planted tanks....

Get as balanced of an eco-system as possible.

http://www.cecolts.com/saltwatertankalbum/

It is working well so far... Live Rock, 10+ species of plants, one fish, and several snails and hermit crabs.

I have to feed suplimental food for the clams and sea-squirts on my live rock, but even with only the small soda bottle filter in the corner, my water stats are pristine without much in the way of extra care.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Those of us who keep sw tanks call those macro-algaes..not "plants". The dictyota you are keeping is a reefkeepers nightmare. It uses alot of CA. and spreads uncontrollably..same goes for the grape caulerpa.Sweet little clown goby, I have a green/red one in this nano.

Be careful growing caulerpas, they have nasty toxins and can go 'sexual' on you. If this happens the macro will drain it's green color to white, and it will dump all the PO4 and nitrates it has taken up into the tank. It can crash the tank, and kill all the inhabitants.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

dictyota?

As for the caulerpas, I am keeping an eye on them and will remove any parts that turn white, and keep them trimmed to keep them from taking over.

It all seems pretty happy for now. My husband took a water sample in to be tested, and the guy accused him of mixing up fresh salt water to be tested since the water stats were so clean.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Dictyota is the reddish fibrous macro. Those algaes will keep the water very clean. I keep a refugium with macros attached to my 90, it acts basicly as an extra filter of sorts. I have had caulerpa go sexual on me three times, luckily I was home. Now I avoid it, and grow Chaetomorpha instead. Even though I removed it all, occasionally it comes back in the refugium. Darn stuff is amazing, and resilient. Here is a photo of an African bluestripe pipefish from my 'fuge'. This is when I was still growing feather caulerpa, or caulerpa mexicana.

For the past few years I have been fighting an unwanted red macro called asparagopsis taxiformis, another nightmare algae. It is horrible stuff. Here you can see a tiny bit of it mixed in with the chaetomorpha. This is a Dragonface pipefish.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yup. The hair algae was getting overgrown until we put in some pointy turbo something-or-other snail. He trucks around and eats paths through it.

___
___
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
It's good to see another Coloradoaner who's interested in macro algaes too. Your tank looks to be progressing well. What are the stats?

Do you plan to make it a mixed tank with various species of both algae and sessile inverts, or do you plan to stick with just planted?

Thanks

Last edited by Agrippa; 11-05-2007 at 10:06 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Errr... cessile?

As for tank stats, I will have to have my hubby chime in on those when he gets home.

We don't have a full saltwater kit yet, so we have to have the water tested at the LFS. I know at last test everything was perfect except the PH was a little low, so have been slowly buffering it up since then.

___
___
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Buffers will raise the PH..then drop it further than it was. Create some surface movement in the tank, by using a powerhead. {This will also help to oxygenate the water}That will increase the ph. You can use baking soda which has been baked in the oven to raise PH. Indoor carbon dioxide will also drive down PH. Sometimes simply airing out your home will help. We see this most often when weather is very hot or cold, and people tend to keep their homes closed up. A test to see if it is indoor CO2 is take a sample of the water outside, run an airstone in it, then test to see if it has risen. Another factor to consider when testing, or getting water tested at an LFS for PH: the lights of the tank must be on for several hours before removing the sample. The water needs to be tested fairly quick after it is removed. If over a half hour from the time you take it, until the time they test it..it will not give an accurate reading. Are you using RO/DI water for this tank?
A sessile invertebrate is one that does not move on it's own. Permanently attached, such as corals are.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
caulerpa will get white on the tips as it grows. Don't trim off any white you see. If it begins to go sexual it will very evident.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it.

___
___
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update... tank stats still perfect according to the store test.

Have been keeping my macros trimmed and all is doing well until a few days ago we spotted a fireworm in one of the lower rocks.

Can't catch the darn thing, and I am afraid he will come out and eat my feather dusters.

___
___
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I haven't ventured into the salty side yet, but I just wanted to say that your Clown Goby is adorable. They are the cutest little fish! That makes me want a SW tank.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
oh MAN you guys (and girls) are makin' me jealous with your macro tanks. Nice work so far, Taf Caf.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! Honestly I was terrified to start with, but so far it really hasn't been that hard.

I think what got me started off so well was getting live sand and a couple live rocks and even the water from a show tank instead of from the back. It was 100% cured and cultured and ready to go. Then we had set up the tank and waited almost a month before adding the fishy.

___
___
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Great looking tank, what's the lighting specs? I've been trying to make a green tank out of my mantis tank for a short while now, eventually I'd like to have the 'zen garden' look. I think it's funny how some reefers loath macros in their display while the rest of us try so hard to grow as many as possible. Where did you get your macros from? Mine are all locals, my Dictyota dichotoma isn't doing so hot. Next on my list is some blue Ochtodes if I can get my hands on it. I didn't plan my substrate very well, so my shoal grass isn't doing well either, that's the plan for the next tank, silt bed with lots of seagrasses. I actually try to promote hair grass for the flowing lawn look, some species look great IMO, as long as they're very green and not the mushy snot colored variety.

You might find you don't even need that filter. My 8gl has only a powerhead, 10lb LR and weekly water changes with ro/di and maintains zero nitrates even though that tank has no macros other than some hitchhiker red turf algae of some sort.

One person I was surprised to see in the RC macro forums, though it really shouldn't have been much of a surprise, is Tom Barr. With as much helpful info as he gives us here. It's funny in some cases, where some people there don't really realize his experience with greenery, so it seems like they think some of the things he says are cookoo, lol. I don't know, maybe he's well known over there too, but that's the impression I got from a few threads.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode