10g Shrimp Metaframe Restoration, Photo Heavy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
10g Shrimp Metaframe Restoration, Photo Heavy

Hey everyone. I wanted to share photos from my 10 gallon Metaframe shrimp tank restoration. I came across some old Metaframe tanks on craigslist. Turned out the guy who had them lived down the street from me! How could I pass it up, so I picked up a 5 and 10 gallon.

I decided the easiest way to seal up an old tank like this was to just put glass over the slate bottom, and re silicone the entire tank. I love the slate bottom but did't want to risk leaks or contamination from old tar. I also did not want to even attempt removing it. So I just covered it with glass.

Check out the pics, it's what you all really want to see.

10G and 5G, Paid $50 for both.

Chipped away all the old cracked tar sealant.

Had my local glass shop use low iron 3/8 inch glass. The bottom did not have to be that thick, or low iron since you won't see it but I wanted the lid pieces that way. So to make it easier I just had all the pieces made from the same glass and thickness. They made a bottom pane, two lid pieces for easy removal and air flow, 4 triangles and 2 rectangles for lids support. The lid will make sense in the photos when you see it. I tried to explain to the guys in the shop what this was for, they just couldn't wrap their heads around it. When I picked up the pieces the guy said, here you go sir hope you enjoy your glass shelves. lol

The bottom piece was a perfect fit, pheeww!

I siliconed the bottom in place, then siliconed up the sides, around the top inside edges really really well. Last I put the triangles and rectangle pieces in place. Sorry I don't have a photo other than the finished one. I cleaned up the silicone job with a razor and then water tested on my balcony for a few days.

here you see the triangles in place and rectangles all holding the glass lids in place.

While it water tested outside I built a stand. Many of you may have seen me post these photos. I used reclaimed wood from the early 1900's, it came from a torn down building in NY's financial district. It cost about $40 with the cuts made, not too bad. I then picked up pipe from home depot. It was tricky because the wood was warped but with some shims in back of the tank it sits level.

Many trips to Home Depot later…….

I wanted this scape to be very simple. I definitely didn't want to spend more money on materials, I have a ton from my other tanks. I did have to purchase a light though, I went for the Sat+ it works great for moss and it's crazy thin. I really like it.
I used leftover Aquasoil, Ada cosmetic sand to make a beach for feeding the shrimp(the food doesn't sink in to sand). Manzanita attached to slate(for support)for a kinda crappy looking moss tree. Slate pieces to make hiding spot caves to separate the beach from the aqua soil side. A ceramic shrimp castle with flame moss attached on top (cheesy but the shrimp spend a lot of time in it after molting).
For Plants I used blyxa-frogbit-marimo-flamemoss-javamoss.
For filtration a sponge filter initially to cycle, but I just added on a eheim classic canister with Viv spin outflow since the sponge was just not keeping the water as clear as I want.
I use a cooling fan clipped on top to keep the water at 74.

So the ViV spin mini outflow I bought last week did not fit around the top edge of the tank. I decided to heat up the glass over my gas stove burner and carefully and successfully was able to widen the gap so it fits over the edge. I also had to do that with the mini inflow. It was a bit scary but I had no choice since I already paid and received them from someone on this forum. I didn't want to return them to him, plus i really needed the spin to slow down the filters output of the Eheim. It was blowing the frogbit into the corners.

You can see how the lid sits on top, leaving gaps for the filter pipes and a gap for the cooling fan to blow across the surface.

I try to follow the one tank per room in my apartment rule that I agreed on with my roommates, this one went in my bedroom. I already tried to convince them the bathroom is a room lol. I get to lay in bed and watch my shrimp, can't beat that! Here's the view.

Thanks for looking! Any questions feel free to ask!

What should I do with the 5 gallon? hmmm

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 01-30-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks really nice, love the recycled wood for the stand.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks, I'm really happy with the physical tank and stand. I'll prob rescape down the road but for now as long as my shrimp are happy I am. I need to pull the moss off the tree and try weeping or christmas. I also need to take a better pic, you can barely tell what it is in the photo I posted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode