Chayos00's 125g tank journal (Updated 11/05/2019) - Page 63 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #931 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
The only place I can find them is UK ebay but at prices that would make your eyes water. At current exchange rates it's $7.72 per tetra or $86.46 for 10

So ultra rare here. Glad to see them "in the wild" so to speak.
Wow, sure wasn't that much per fish! I want to say when I found them they were like $3-4 per fish or something like that. I can find them through LiveAquaria.com for $4.99, but haven't had great luck with fish from there.

Bump: So seems I probably used WAY too much H2O2 and Glut to kill algae, my water is cloudy today....
Greggz likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So as I thought, I've got an ammonia spike, tested at 0.25ppm. Would explain the white cloudiness in the tank today. Either from hosing out the poret foam as I normally do every month or so, or just too much Glut H2O2.

post #933 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you using the API test kit? Obviously you've learned to tell the biology of your aquarium by eye but even with that said I find the API ammonia test kit really frustrating in terms of the 0-0.25ppm reading.

To make sure I'm getting the right result I usually test the API ammonia as well as the Nitirite test. Curiously, I've found that 0.25ppm of ammonia never has a corresponding rise in nitrite? So I bought a second liquid ammonia test by "waterlife." I've found that 0.25ppm on API is always a 0ppm reading with waterlife. In short, I think the API color indicator can be misleading. That or darkish yellow to light green depends on the spectrum of light you're using at any given time.
chayos00 likes this.

post #934 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Are you using the API test kit? Obviously you've learned to tell the biology of your aquarium by eye but even with that said I find the API ammonia test kit really frustrating in terms of the 0-0.25ppm reading.

To make sure I'm getting the right result I usually test the API ammonia as well as the Nitirite test. Curiously, I've found that 0.25ppm of ammonia never has a corresponding rise in nitrite? So I bought a second liquid ammonia test by "waterlife." I've found that 0.25ppm on API is always a 0ppm reading with waterlife. In short, I think the API color indicator can be misleading. That or darkish yellow to light green depends on the spectrum of light you're using at any given time.
Yeah still using API for A, N, & N. Normally Ammonia reads correctly for me. I checked and again today it's still 0.25-.5, but leaning more towards 0.25. I checked in a few different light sources and they all read at least 0.25. Good news is the white cloudiness has cleared up! I'll check out the waterlife test kit you mention though. However after looking for just a minute, seems these are only sold in the UK.

post #935 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Yeah still using API for A, N, & N. Normally Ammonia reads correctly for me. I checked and again today it's still 0.25-.5, but leaning more towards 0.25. I checked in a few different light sources and they all read at least 0.25. Good news is the white cloudiness has cleared up! I'll check out the waterlife test kit you mention though. However after looking for just a minute, seems these are only sold in the UK.

I thought they were a global brand? I'd still seek out a second opinion specifically for the API ammonia. I've spent way too much time trying to discern the difference between 0ppm - 0.25ppm.

Good to hear the cloudiness is gone. We all know how off putting a sudden bloom can be.
chayos00 likes this.
post #936 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did some tweaking/cleanup of the tank tonight. Took my S. Repens and put a Tupperware containers worth in the sump and left a small patch in the tank. I've got two gallon sized bags full of it, I feel guilty chucking something like that.... Moved the sword on the far right side and put it in the far back left now and just one regular sword back with it. Did a big hacking of the mermaid weed as that just grew like a beast! I added the new tissue culture plants in small round Tupperware containers to see if they grow. There's one TC plant that I'm not even sure if it will survive as sitting in the cup for two days it has melted on me, eusteralis stellata. The others are doing okay and I put most in this tank and a few pieces of each in my desktop 10g tank (no feet and no CO2). Gotta get tank looking pretty again for the local club home show contest this year.

Before

After (yeah there's a few swords floating)

S. Repens
Greggz, johnson18, rzn7z7 and 5 others like this.

post #937 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Algae Grower

This is one massive but very beautiful tank.
chayos00 likes this.
post #938 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Even with the swords floating your tank looks fantastic.
chayos00 likes this.
post #939 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
This is one massive but very beautiful tank.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Even with the swords floating your tank looks fantastic.
Thanks! I'm debating about what to do with them, I've got a tank I don't talk about out in my garage that I may drop them into. I always feel bad trashing perfectly good plants!

post #940 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So trying something new to premix my dry ferts that I dropping in my RO tank. Since my son (2.5yrs) got into my stand and got water all over somehow my obviously poorly sealed cheap ziplock bags didn't keep the moisture out and the ferts clumped. So dropped them into my nutribullet and mixed them all up. Doesn't seem I need to run my big pump to mix my water as much now! Score!

Also the power head only seems to be doing pretty well to mix up the RO mixture before a water change. Bonus only 7w of running power.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #941 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I've had some recent issues with getting my pH meter to calibrate, keeps saying the incorrect fluid is being used. I've followed all online troubleshooting options and the ONE last possible thing to try is soaking the pen in the 3M KCL fluid as some found an overnight soak got it working correctly again. However if that doesn't work then time for a new meter.

post #942 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I love it.

But if my wife saw me doing that.......new one would be on the way and that one would be committed to fert duty ONLY!
chayos00 likes this.

---
---
post #943 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I love it.

But if my wife saw me doing that.......new one would be on the way and that one would be committed to fert duty ONLY!
After my wife just saw me rinse and put it up to dry...

Wife: umm you okay with just drinking poison?!
Me: the fish are just fine in it and I rinsed it.
Wife: you aren't a fish!

HAHAHA needless to say I then put a shot of Dawn in it and then some water and ran it as a blender to clean it.
Greggz likes this.

post #944 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
haha, pretty slick. If you just call the ferts "Nutrients" (ie. Micro- Macro-) then isn't that it's intended purpose? That'd be my argument anyways...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #945 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
haha, pretty slick. If you just call the ferts "Nutrients" (ie. Micro- Macro-) then isn't that it's intended purpose? That'd be my argument anyways...
Good point, those aren't poison they are nutrients! Saved for future reference!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode