Chayos00's 125g tank journal (Updated 03/16/2019) - Page 61 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1004Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #901 of 915 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I tried yesterday to see if that valve that came with the regulator could tune the meter to a setting just above 100cc/min, but it's more of a macro vs micro style of valve. If I had a lower flow rate need I might have been able to get a more precise setting I could tell or use, but since I'm already at the 80-90cc/min rate at the gauge goes up to 100, now if I had a 30-250 one it might have been doable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That valve is probably only meant to serve as a shut off valve... can come in handy if you want to leak test your regulator with every CO2 cylinder change. I previously had a leak at the CGA 320 stem as it went to the reg... it was due to me inadvertently twisting the reg while trying to tighten the nut onto CO2 tank. If I had leak tested (solenoid off it had a shut off valve and CO2 tank turned off after pressurizing the high pressure side) it I would not have lost a 20lb tank in less than 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chayos00 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Checking in after being away for awhile. God I love this setup, great job again man!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
chayos00 likes this.

"Motivation without discipline, is just a dream."
post #903 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggles17 View Post
Checking in after being away for awhile. God I love this setup, great job again man!

Thank you!

Also I'm working on a possible upgrade for another tank I have in my garage, the 100g tank I have some other random fish in. It may grow either by 2x or 3x this size! A friend and I were going to flip a pair of tanks we got for cheap on FB and just may end up keeping one of them. The glass tank is in good shape, but I want to see how the bigger acrylic one is before deciding. They are over at my buddies house as he has a MASSIVE garage he's holding them in at the moment.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #904 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thank you!

Also I'm working on a possible upgrade for another tank I have in my garage, the 100g tank I have some other random fish in. It may grow either by 2x or 3x this size! A friend and I were going to flip a pair of tanks we got for cheap on FB and just may end up keeping one of them. The glass tank is in good shape, but I want to see how the bigger acrylic one is before deciding. They are over at my buddies house as he has a MASSIVE garage he's holding them in at the moment.

Ya rub it in that even my first setup isn't complete ;p that's awesome man, good for you. Can't wait to see where it goes! I see your overflow box is still holding up well, eh?

chayos00 likes this.

post #905 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ya rub it in that even my first setup isn't complete ;p that's awesome man, good for you. Can't wait to see where it goes! I see your overflow box is still holding up well, eh?

LOL it did take me three years to build this stand, so totally understand how that feels! Good things come to those who wait.

The overflow box is doing well, no issues with it at all. It's funny seeing how thick of an acrylic was used on these two tanks we grabbed are. The one is like a 1/2 thick vs the 1/4" or what ever I used was.

post #906 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to attempt to breed Amano shrimp again, this time with a cycled SW tank set at 30ppt salt. The 10g tank is setup and ready to go for a cycle. I dumped in some Dr Tim's to try and help establish the cycle. I made a tight fitting cover from acrylic from home depot. Got the Fluval Planted+ lights on the tank and will leave them on 24/7 to try and grow algae.

I noticed one of my female Amanos berried the other day! Woot Woot!

post #907 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Didn't take long for algae to take off in this Amano breeding tank! Granted having a Planted+ light on 24/7 sure does help! Just need to get this tank cycled now!

The Panda cories keep popping out new babies, so happy about that for sure! Wondering if the Indian almond leaves are helping! Also saw a baby cherry shrimp in that tank too! I added them as I read they would eat fungus if it got on the Panda eggs. Still don't have any berried females of the blue shrimp I have in my desktop 10g tank.

And for other news! This is the big one! I've managed to score a 300g (96L x 24"W x 30"T) acrylic tank from the local Salty fish group! It's gonna need some buffing and removal on the half hacked internal sump, but will be replacing a 100g that's out in my garage as part of my QT/breeding rack. I've been trying to figure out what to do for a filter setup for that tank, but I think I have it figured out. I already have e a SunSun HW-404B canister and wondered about getting either 2 or 3 overall and filtering the tank with that. But then I was looking at "giant DIY canisters" and came across pond drum filters using matala mat filter media. Which may be the route I go with as I need to get rid of the 100g tank so I can't make it a sump. The 55g plastic drum method still kind of becomes a sump, but just a vertical one minus the overflow aspect and it's a sealed setup with an internal pump, which I could possibly setup with low volume 24/7 CO2, but at like a 5cc/min just enough for a plant boost, I still have a spare CO2 regulator if I did decide to do that. Too bad the media and another pump would cost another $400 or so, about $200 for the media and the same for a DC pump.

post #908 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's here! Now to clean it, sand it, polish it, and build it a stand. But I'm sure some honey do's will need to be done first!!

96'L x 24"W x 30"T
A Tenecor acrylic tank, unsure of it's age. It had the Simplicity Plus internal sump, but the guy I got the tank from broke it out and I'm gonna finish removing it.

Phil Edwards, Greggz, vvDO and 5 others like this.

post #909 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you say build a stand?

Looking forward to seeing this planted in 2022!
chayos00 and Grobbins48 like this.

------------------
post #910 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Did you say build a stand?

Looking forward to seeing this planted in 2022!
Hahahaha As it's going to replace the 100g in the garage it's just going to be a 2x4 & 2x6 rough finish stand, nothing pretty that would go in my house. So like that other stand it took a day to do, so this stand should be similar in build time, just a weekend is all it should take. That stand is on the first post for my QT rack. It will be this summer sometime that I anticipate getting it running.

Oh and gonna be just a lite planting in this tank.

Greggz likes this.

post #911 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To make it easier to see, this will be what the stand will be like.

post #912 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got the 300g as cleaned up as I could. The majority of the salt crust it removed that I could get. I discovered that internal sump setup that Tenecor did the "Simplicity Plus" seemed to give the back glass some extra rigidity, as they cheaped out went with 1/2" vs 3/4" like the front pane. I'm going to sand smooth the area's that the 1/4" sheets were glued to the back of the tank and then I'm going to contact a local acrylic supplier to see if I can get 1/2" or 1" square rods of acrylic and glue them across the back to give the acrylic that needed bracing to enforce the back acrylic. I didn't remove it, but the person before did to get back that 4-6" of lost space from that internal sump, which from what I read was pointless as Tenecor used bioballs. I was thinking about drilling out the bulkhead holes as they are setup for 1" bulkheads (based on the ones from BRS) and either stepping them up to 1.25" or 1.5" and doing a dual intake to reduce an flow issues as well as doing a dual return back to the tank. I'm going to see what the biggest DC pump I can find will be to use, then I can always scale it up or down to get the needed flow. Figured if my 125 is good with 911gph on a Jebao DC-12000 @ speed 3 of 6, then a 300 ought to be good with 2100gph, so maybe more like 1500-2000gph. Eh... who knows, I'll see what I end up building with it and what the flow in the tank actually looks like.

Waiting for it to fill....

Kid comparison, 30" tall tank to a 2 year old. Just has to play in the water LOL

The soon to be removed former intank sump.

Left side shot showing acrylic condition.

Front showing acrylic condition, lots of light scratching making it hazy.

Right side shot showing acrylic condition.

post #913 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I now see what you mean by the internal sump - that is a bit different than what I have seen. Would be nice to slice off the thinner back sheet, have clear access to the interior for polishing, then replace the back sheet with 3/4". Gotta love the tippy toes helper
chayos00 likes this.

post #914 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I got the 300g as cleaned up as I could. The majority of the salt crust it removed that I could get. I discovered that internal sump setup that Tenecor did the "Simplicity Plus" seemed to give the back glass some extra rigidity, as they cheaped out went with 1/2" vs 3/4" like the front pane. I'm going to sand smooth the area's that the 1/4" sheets were glued to the back of the tank and then I'm going to contact a local acrylic supplier to see if I can get 1/2" or 1" square rods of acrylic and glue them across the back to give the acrylic that needed bracing to enforce the back acrylic. I didn't remove it, but the person before did to get back that 4-6" of lost space from that internal sump, which from what I read was pointless as Tenecor used bioballs. I was thinking about drilling out the bulkhead holes as they are setup for 1" bulkheads (based on the ones from BRS) and either stepping them up to 1.25" or 1.5" and doing a dual intake to reduce an flow issues as well as doing a dual return back to the tank. I'm going to see what the biggest DC pump I can find will be to use, then I can always scale it up or down to get the needed flow. Figured if my 125 is good with 911gph on a Jebao DC-12000 @ speed 3 of 6, then a 300 ought to be good with 2100gph, so maybe more like 1500-2000gph. Eh... who knows, I'll see what I end up building with it and what the flow in the tank actually looks like.

Waiting for it to fill....

Kid comparison, 30" tall tank to a 2 year old. Just has to play in the water LOL

The soon to be removed former intank sump.

Left side shot showing acrylic condition.

Front showing acrylic condition, lots of light scratching making it hazy.

Right side shot showing acrylic condition.

Everytime I come here, I feel more and more inadequate . Love what you're doing with that beast. The 2x4 stand will be more than strong enough. Not sure if you have access to any woodworking tools, but if you are concerned about strength (no need to be) you could square the lumber up a bit and use timber frame joints to put it together.

I really want to bug you about the construction of the acrylic overflow at some point. I'm leaning towards acrylic instead of glass internal to glass external. You know how long I've been battling with this

chayos00 likes this.

post #915 of 915 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Everytime I come here, I feel more and more inadequate . Love what you're doing with that beast. The 2x4 stand will be more than strong enough. Not sure if you have access to any woodworking tools, but if you are concerned about strength (no need to be) you could square the lumber up a bit and use timber frame joints to put it together.

I really want to bug you about the construction of the acrylic overflow at some point. I'm leaning towards acrylic instead of glass internal to glass external. You know how long I've been battling with this

I'm semi limited on what I've got for wood working tools. What I really wish I had was a table saw!! I've got a roybi 10" chop saw that my dad gifted to me when I started my aquarium stand build, a Craftsman circular saw, belt & orbital sander, a porter cable floor drill press, then regular drills too. So I'll probably just stick with the following stand build design idea, only thing different I'll do is ensure that no joints overlap, so like this picture has the side joints lined up, look at the picture I posted above of the QT rack/stand I have.

You can probably guess my vote on glass vs acrylic for the overflow. As long as you can get your hands on a table saw to cut the acrylic, that's my vote!

I'm trying to find some leveling feet to allow for an unlevel garage floor, without trying to shim the stand or trim individual feet to make it work. I did this on that 100g stand and it was a PITA to try to sand/trim/cut the individual feet. I found these on Amazon (see links below) and they seem to be like what I would like to find. Granted I'd rather have a better lip on the bottom, but if I do this across the whole stand then hopefully it would be enough to support it all. So I'm going to guess like 4 to 6 feet will be used going across the stand to support it all. So then either 8 or 12 leveling feet will be used in total. So assuming 300g (2500lbs water + 250lbs tank) and another 120g (1000lbs water + 150lbs tanks) from a possible 6 20g tanks, that puts me at total of just shy of 4000lbs overall weight. So 500lbs per foot for 8 feet and 333lbs for 12 feet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOHS92I/
Or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV7WFF6/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode