Wow it's been a LONG time since I've updated this post. But also had lots of life activities keeping me busy.
So the physical build of the stand is pretty much done at this point. I'm currently working on my urethane coating on the stand at this point, which has been a challenge all on it's own.
The trim was a pain for me to get right. Took a while to figure out the 45° cuts to make them butt up together, the canopy isn't perfect, but I got the stand much more accurate. I found some trim that I thought looked good at Home Depot. The first go round, I cut it all too short, so back to the store to do it again.... but I got it right at that point. You might notice a pieces of wood along the top of the canopy, well those are what I used to nail the canopy trim to hold it to. The front piece has one along the whole top as well.
For the staining method I used was as per this article
. However I do have this to say about using gel stain, after the first coat is applied it's like attempting to lightly paint a little on so that you aren't just wasting your time and wiping it right off. So after getting the darkness I liked, I moved on to putting the Arm-R-Seal satin topcoat on. Had some issues that reddit's r/woodworking was able to point me in the right direction. So right now I'm at the point where I'm building up my topcoat layers to make it thick enough of a protective coating.
Had some issues with the Arm-R-Seal satin after a few coats it got cloudy, after another post online it was recommended to go with gloss as that doesn't have any flatteners it in causing cloudy looking seal issues. So once I've got enough protection on, I'll put on a coat of semi-gloss or satin, depending upon what my test samples turn out like.
The doors took some thinking of how I was to make mount the panel insert in the center of the door. I finally settled on using these really short nail gun nails and basically stapling them into the outer frame. I put several straight into the front of the frame and then after that I went between them and put others at a 45° angle to hold the panels in place. I then got to staining the doors after the stand and the canopy as I was limited on space to set everything.
The inside of the canopy will get painted white, just haven't gotten to that part yet. I'm also going to have to put another layer inside the stand as I've gotten some of the gel stain on the paint that stained it brown.
So yeah, I think that's about where I'm up to on this.
Pics are updated on post number 3.
Most recent pics taken today.