Chayos00's 125g tank journal (Updated 03/16/2019) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1004Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 915 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
ok, Yazmin is very beautiful by the way!
Thanks! She is my baby girl who's 12.5 years old!

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 915 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow! you must be taking very good care of her because she looks very healthy!

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

(I'm 13
)
post #33 of 915 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
wow! you must be taking very good care of her because she looks very healthy!
Yeah she is pretty healthy, however she does have a neurological degenerative issue that is causing her to drag her feet some, but not too bad at this point. So I am very thankful that is her only issue! Hopefully it doesn't get to the point of her not being able to walk or control her bodily functions back there.

post #34 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So last weekend I started to make the cabinet doors, yes I know finally! So initially I planned on making shaker style doors, but instead of the traditional doors I was going to miter the corners at 45* angles, however I could not get the saw calibrated enough to get the proper 45 degrees to be perfect. So I decided to go with the traditional look to the doors. So now all that wood that I had previously routed and planned to just cut at 45's no longer will work. So long story short is I got the door frames all cut out and just need to do some more routing on the framing and put it together, then of course cut out the insert on the panels.
post #35 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wow it's been a LONG time since I've updated this post. But also had lots of life activities keeping me busy.

So the physical build of the stand is pretty much done at this point. I'm currently working on my urethane coating on the stand at this point, which has been a challenge all on it's own.

The trim was a pain for me to get right. Took a while to figure out the 45 cuts to make them butt up together, the canopy isn't perfect, but I got the stand much more accurate. I found some trim that I thought looked good at Home Depot. The first go round, I cut it all too short, so back to the store to do it again.... but I got it right at that point. You might notice a pieces of wood along the top of the canopy, well those are what I used to nail the canopy trim to hold it to. The front piece has one along the whole top as well.

For the staining method I used was as per this article. However I do have this to say about using gel stain, after the first coat is applied it's like attempting to lightly paint a little on so that you aren't just wasting your time and wiping it right off. So after getting the darkness I liked, I moved on to putting the Arm-R-Seal satin topcoat on. Had some issues that reddit's r/woodworking was able to point me in the right direction. So right now I'm at the point where I'm building up my topcoat layers to make it thick enough of a protective coating.

Had some issues with the Arm-R-Seal satin after a few coats it got cloudy, after another post online it was recommended to go with gloss as that doesn't have any flatteners it in causing cloudy looking seal issues. So once I've got enough protection on, I'll put on a coat of semi-gloss or satin, depending upon what my test samples turn out like.

The doors took some thinking of how I was to make mount the panel insert in the center of the door. I finally settled on using these really short nail gun nails and basically stapling them into the outer frame. I put several straight into the front of the frame and then after that I went between them and put others at a 45 angle to hold the panels in place. I then got to staining the doors after the stand and the canopy as I was limited on space to set everything.

The inside of the canopy will get painted white, just haven't gotten to that part yet. I'm also going to have to put another layer inside the stand as I've gotten some of the gel stain on the paint that stained it brown.

So yeah, I think that's about where I'm up to on this.

Pics are updated on post number 3.

Most recent pics taken today.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #36 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

nice! :0
chayos00 and chayos00 like this.
post #37 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice work on the stand. very crafty. hope to see the tank rocking that stand soon.
post #38 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

This looks absolutely amazing so far, can't wait to see how it pans out. Imagining working with something this big just makes me googly-eyed!!
post #39 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 AM
Algae Grower

Looks better than anything you can buy!

Thanks for the tip about putting heaters in with soaking driftwood to speed up tannin release. I got the Malaysian driftwood, so that will be a big help.

Joe
post #40 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the kind words!

I just found a local supplier who can get me the acrylic I need to make my DIY overflows. Getting a 48" X 48" sheet of 6mm black acrylic for what I can get a 48 X 24 sheet online. Not just at 52-53 bucks. Plus I found a buddy who has a decent table saw that I can cut it into what I need. Finally nice thinking that I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

post #41 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very, very nice stand build. I built my own several years ago, so I know the thought and labor that goes into it.

But I have to ask.........have you been building this stand for almost 3 years?

------------------
post #42 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Very, very nice stand build. I built my own several years ago, so I know the thought and labor that goes into it.

But I have to ask.........have you been building this stand for almost 3 years?
Ummmm..... yeah...... It's been very off and little on for working on the project. I'm a horrible procrastinator! But I've gotta get it done shortly as we have another one on the way.

Plus I over think the crap outta things an end up getting "analysis paralysis!" Screws me horribly for getting stuff done.

livingf1t and livingf1t like this.

Last edited by chayos00; 09-29-2016 at 06:47 AM.
post #43 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
"analysis paralysis!"
Wow... I know have a name for my own condition.
bbroush, bbroush, chayos00 and 3 others like this.
post #44 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
Wow... I know have a name for my own condition.
It's taken a while but I have finally admitted to myself my issue! LOL

post #45 of 915 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So time for another update! The stand and canopy build is finally finished!! I have the final coat of urethane on and if there's any imperfections, I don't care anymore I am done! LOL I am FINALLY done! I way over did this to make it a furniture grade stand. I can say I will never do that again!! However I hope you like it! Now to get the tank resealed, drilled, plumbed, and my overflow setup!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode