getting back into the planted world
this is my photo journal for my 75 gal low-tech setup

What I have so far:
75 gallon perfecto tank
Hagen Glo T5 lighting with 2-6700K 54 watt bulbs 1.44watts/gallon
Emperor 400 HOB until I can get canister
50# soilmaster select
driftwood from Fintastic of Charlotte labeled as Spider Wood

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Journal 1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	4617  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
That is an awesomely unique piece of driftwood. Does it have sharp edges though? Fish love to wizz through the branches and could get scratched.

110 Tall in progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks. I love it! No they are not very sharp. Got the piece for $30.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
nice piece of wood!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
it's the one piece that i always call "the special one that can make you want to build another tank." it's a treasure. good find! now i
m wondering what are you gonna do with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you have any suggestions Ikuzo?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hehehe, I think I almost bought that piece of wood myself. When I was in there looking at that new "spider wood" I was trying to figure out if it was manzanita or not. Unfortunately all the pieces they had were too big for my tank or didn't go with the hardscape of the larger one. It looks like you found a good fit for yours.

I'd fill in the back left corner with thick growing plants and use a lot of Anubias and Java Fern around the trunk of the wood to soften it up. Keep the rest of the plants in the tank low to emphasize the arch of the wood. Some well trimmed moss would look nice on some parts of the branches as well, just don't obsure them or let the moss get too overgrown. With the way that wood's shaped it's the dominant element of the tank, everything else should work with it and not try to compete for visual space.

I'm sort of embarrassed to hear when people on the forums go to Fintastic. I worked for them years ago. Every time I go in there and see the current state of the plant section I just want hang my head and cry.

Do you get to Charlotte very often? I live up near UNCC.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree about Fintastic's plant section but still I like going there to window shop. Never know when they may have some new fish that you cant get at our local Petsmart. I liked the plants better when they were on South Blvd.

How long ago did you work there?

Ordered plants last night....should be here wednesday. I will post more pics then.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
the same with Phil Edwards, i'd go high on the left and stay with low plants to the right. the look of that branch hovering will be awesome.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlids4me View Post
I agree about Fintastic's plant section but still I like going there to window shop. Never know when they may have some new fish that you cant get at our local Petsmart. I liked the plants better when they were on South Blvd.

How long ago did you work there?
I worked there when they were at South Blvd. If you remember that store it was for two years before they moved and then a few weeks after the move. It was a great opportunity being able to use the store's budget to promote the keeping of pond and aquarium plants. It's too bad the for-sale setups were reverse engineered and not really well set up for plants. Even so, I enjoyed taking care of that part of the store while I was there. It would be awesome if they got someone else there who was as enthusiastic about them as we are.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks nice! You will need more than just an Emperor 400 till you get a canister.

If you get a canister, some cheap canisters that are good are the xP3 or xP4.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
I worked there when they were at South Blvd. If you remember that store it was for two years before they moved and then a few weeks after the move. It was a great opportunity being able to use the store's budget to promote the keeping of pond and aquarium plants. It's too bad the for-sale setups were reverse engineered and not really well set up for plants. Even so, I enjoyed taking care of that part of the store while I was there. It would be awesome if they got someone else there who was as enthusiastic about them as we are.

Oh okay. I think I dealt with Alex at South Blvd when I was setting up my first planted tank. Not sure who helped me at the new location but it was shortly after the move.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
Looks nice! You will need more than just an Emperor 400 till you get a canister.

If you get a canister, some cheap canisters that are good are the xP3 or xP4.

What else would I need until the time that I can get a canister?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nice driftwood.

I don't think you will need anymore flow in the tank until the canister, assuming you aren't adding any fish for a while!! I'd recommend an xp3, been really happy with mine.

Speaking of fish....are you going with cichlids? If so, which part of the world?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post

Speaking of fish....are you going with cichlids? If so, which part of the world?

Thinking of having community tank. Maybe add a couple of Rams, Discus and/or Angels

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode