20 gallon long, first tank journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 gallon long, first tank journal

so here, if this photo shows up, is the beginning of the hard scape for a 20 gallon long. this is my first tank journal.

i am currently waiting on some more stone to arrive, and will add more to the left side when it does.

i am thinking of planting mostly hc to carpet the substrate. any suggestions for a few accent plants will be welcomed, however i do want to keep the tank fairly minimalist as far as plants.

i am going back and forth as to whether i want to add white sand to the "valley" area or just fill it all in with carpet.

thanks for having a look. comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

is that sand or dirt? how do you keep the substrate from sliding back down the hill?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

the substrate is caribsea floramax, which i have never used before. right now the hills are staying put on their own, however, i suspect i am gonna have to add some plastic retaining wall type reinforcements before i add water. the "cliff" in the front area of the right side appears slightly more sheer in the photo than it is in reality. i am hoping i will be able to retain that shape when i plant/flood the tank. gonna take some figuring i reckon.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

i do have 14 pounds of stone that i am waiting for, and i might try and use those as retainers on that cliff side. might be able to get a cool effect when the plants grow out over them. any ideas on what sort of plants might have a cool hanging effect in that area, and also around the entrance to what i hope will make a nice cave home for a cpo crayfish?

Tags
20 gallon, aquarium, hardscape, iwagumi, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode