125 Gallon Planted Tank Journal Updated 10/27/07 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
125 Gallon Planted Tank Journal Updated 10/27/07

Well, I managed to pick up a 125 Gallon Tank w/ Dual Overflows and drilled for an additional closed Circuit combined with the stand and canopy for $200.00.

It was previously a Reef Tank, so I have some work ahead of me. I don't have pictures yet because it is still sitting in the back of the van.

At the moment it will have an Ehiem 2026 Filter, "Probably" a Hydor 300W Heater Inline, 2x96W PC Lights & 1x96W PC Light, Pressurized Co2 (Rex Setup including Reactor), Milwaukee SMS 122 PH Meter (Haven't figured this thing out yet).

Right now I'm still in debate on potentially picking up another Ehiem 2026 and connecting both into the overflows.

I don't really want to drop the overflows because I may want to add a sump later, but I know I don't want to go that far yet.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort

Last edited by enchanted; 10-27-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting them up is the best part - looking forward to pictures as it progresses.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
FWIW, I have 2 2026s on my 125, and sometimes wish I still had a little more water movement, so I added a 2213 in the middle.
Great find BTW

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
"Well, I managed to pick up a 125 Gallon Tank w/ Dual Overflows and drilled for an additional closed Circuit combined with the stand and canopy for $200.00. . . ."
I hate you *.

*I have been haunting craigslist.org and local classifieds forever and haven't found anything. Or at least anything I can afford!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
I hate you *.
*I have been haunting craigslist.org and local classifieds forever and haven't found anything. Or at least anything I can afford!
Boy did I see this coming,

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
FWIW, I have 2 2026s on my 125, and sometimes wish I still had a little more water movement, so I added a 2213 in the middle.
Great find BTW
Actually, what I'm doing is using two via-aqua subermisble pumps and turning the overflows into secondary filters isntead of using a sump at this time. I don't know enough about sumps yet, and honestly I don't want to spend the money on the lighting for it, that I don't want to try a sump yet.

This seemed to be the best option for both situations that I could come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
I hate you *.

I actually found it on Craigslist. LOL

Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Boy did I see this coming,
*snrrk*snrrk*snrrk*

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well,as promised here come the pictures.

This one is after I first got it in on the stand. Since then I have added 150lbs of PlaySand, filters, and played with the overflows (will explain later).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankempty.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	4540  

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Now, I forgot to take the pictures of "ZERO" visibility after I added playsand without rinsing it. Sorry, I was being lazy.

But, I have added the Ehiem 2026, along with creating 2 makeshift canister filters (still need to add media), and using my "Ghetto" lighting, since it was designed for a 36" tank, not a 72" tank.

I've also added a few plants to the mix.

Right now I'm waiting for the tank to warm up, then go talk to the LFS to get a few fish to put in there while I sort out the rest of this (timers, Co2 tank that needs filled, etc...).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tankfull.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	4541  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I woke up this morning to the tank being over 80% clear thanks to the Ehiem 2026 and my "Ghetto" Canisters.

Unfortunately the picture doesn't do it justice as you can see below.

As for the "Ghetto" canisters, at least that is what I am calling them, I have three pictures below and can explain what I did, although not done yet.

The first is a picture of the pipe inside the tank, which currently has no end on it. As soon as I find my drill I have the PVC to drill holes in and create a "Ghetto" spraybar, including the end cap, to attach to this. I have one of these on each side.

The next picture is from the top of the tank where you can see the plumbing going over and into the overflow and some filterfloss. I don't have the media setup perfect yet as I want to pick up some plastic (possibly the needle craft sheets) and cut out trays to use.

The final picture is of the overflow itself. And yes, it is dirty as I wasn't able to get it as clean as I wanted, but it is definitely cleaning up now that it has water in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tankclearing1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4544  

Name:	pipeintankghettocanister.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	4545  

Name:	overflowtopghettocanister.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	4546  

Name:	overflowghettocanister.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	4547  

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Due to the various problems I have had with the 46G I decided to migrate fully to the 125G temporarily and tear down the Bowfront till I can completely clean it and decide how to reset it up (minus "ANY" flourite).

I fully believe the flourite is the root of most of my problems in that tank the more I think about it. This primarily comes from the fact that the biggest algae blooms always transpired immediately after a water change that I had spent time cleaning the flourite and kicking up dust from it.

So, I have a first shot of the aquascape, although not really clear unfortunately. I'm hoping the tank clears completely up by morning.

This is a Version 1, as there are still many changes to come. I haven't finished moving the cherry shrimp or my single remaining Kuhli Loach yet, they are next after the tank clears up enough I can see.

Plus I simply had to many plants in the 46G to make a good aquascape in the 125G so I have posts up to get rid of some.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tankaquascapev1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	4559  

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm guessing these are the pictures everyone is waiting for to comment on. The tank is now 96% clear. It's still a little cloudy, but very lightly.

So far I moved over the three Neon Tetra's that survived my Co2 experiments on the 46G (I have a PH Controller for the 125 to avoid these deaths in the future), the 5 Spotted Cory Cats (which are insanely active), my 1 Khuli Loach who won't die, and most of the cherry shrimp. I also added 11 Long Fin Serpae Tetra and 4 Otocinclus.

I still plan to add another 8 Neon Tetra's and more Corey's, not sure what else yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tankaquascapev1clear.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	4576  

Name:	tankaquascapev1leftside.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	4577  

Name:	tankaquascapev1center.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	4578  

Name:	tankaquascapev1rightside.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	4579  

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I am all ears for recommendations on changes, etc... I'm currently trying to sell off some of the plants in here so I can have some more room to make changes and add some more unique plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode