Rimless 10 Gallon Natural Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Rimless 10 Gallon Natural Planted Tank

I posted a thread a while back about my DIY(ish) stand and my rimless tank. You can see the stand info here.

Here's a picture of day 1. The water lettuce and rocks were collected locally from a nearby lake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eyebeatbadgers; 04-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I like it, how much is it bowing?

I'm thinking of doing this on my tank rack that will be made sooner or later...

-Andrew
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Cool Glass X-Rays! I was thinking of adding on to the ones I got they are X-Ray Pristella. Mine doesn't have long fins like that. Is that a sexing difference or different specie?

Do any look like this?

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

@ Fish Newb:Thanks ! Deflection of the tank is 1/8". I think this is acceptable. I haven't had any leaking issues except for when I try to top up the tank for pictures, it will leak a bit. This is from where the silicone was cut back around the very top of the glass, and is remedied by leaving the water level where it is in these pictures.

@knuggs: Thanks !! The ones with long fins are related to black skirt or "phantom" tetras. They were in the same tank, and exhibit exact same body type and finnage. The tag at the pet store didn't match the fish I got, so I dont know the proper scientific name. The closest thing I've found is the white skirt tetra, which it is not. The fish you have pictured is what my shorter finned fish are, I think. The pet store labeled them as "Red Belly X-ray tetras". Silly name. I assume they are Pristella maxillaris, shown in the top of the second fish picture. I'd like a positive id of the other fish.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I have search the net everywhere. Finding information on these guys is nearly impossible. I think they are just a variation of the Pristella and Skirt Tetras. So, I just assume they have the same needs as the originals.

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Wow your tank looks awesome. I was going to do this but i feared that 10 gallons of water could spill at anytime. Heres my thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...al-update.html

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Bet your waterlettuce sied huh?
It floats, not rooted.

looks nice now though.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
I have search the net everywhere. Finding information on these guys is nearly impossible. I think they are just a variation of the Pristella and Skirt Tetras. So, I just assume they have the same needs as the originals.
Same here. It's a shame they aren't recognized, as I think they're a pretty neat looking fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_lover0591 View Post
Wow your tank looks awesome. I was going to do this but i feared that 10 gallons of water could spill at anytime. Heres my thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...al-update.html
I was worried a bit at first of course, but the tank seems quite solid. As long as I don't rough house it or anything it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
Bet your waterlettuce sied huh?
It floats, not rooted.

looks nice now though.
Yeah, water lettuce died very quickly. But it was free, so it did it's job for a while ( I let it float after those pictures were taken, and still died).

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I need your help/ideas. The light I was using took a crap this week, so I was in need of another fixture. Although I wanted to go AHS, my current financial obligations didn't make that feasible. I decided to use two clamp-on style desk lamps from the local Wal-Mart (7.00 each) and a couple of compact fluorescent bulbs. The only problem is the dome of the lights are not long enough to completely cover the bulb. This leads to the tank lighting the whole room up, and blinding the viewer of the tank. I've searched high and low for a longer domed lamp, and have come up empty. I could use a shorter bulb, but I really like the intensity of the lights I'm using currently, which are 26 Watts on the right, and 20 watts on the left. Do any of you know where I could look for a bigger desk lamp, or what you're using?

Last edited by eyebeatbadgers; 04-15-2008 at 08:02 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump for light ideas. Anyone thought about using recessed lighting canisters in a DIY hood?

Here's a current pic

Last edited by eyebeatbadgers; 04-15-2008 at 08:04 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
that tank is looking nice. the messiness is refreshing.

how about a couple of those cheap clamp lights that you can find them at any hardware store? the more common dimension has a ~11 inches wide reflecotr--probably too big for this tank--but they also make more slender models with the rim just 5 inches wide or so.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have looked at those clamp lights, but I'm afraid their light will be too spread out for my purposes (they're made to light up a whole room, not focus the light over a small area). Also, the clamping mechanism seems to be better suited for a 90 degree angle, I'm not sure I could make it work clamped to the side of the tank. The only ones my local hardware store carries are the 11 inch models that you mentioned. I appreciate your input though If i start to lose eyesight, I will probably give them a whirl.

The tank is a mess. I'm not sure the direction I want it to go yet, so I'm just letting everything grow as it wants to for now. The fish and snails seem happy though !

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
NIce growth But the tank looks too like a mess Looks like a dinosaur just ran through there..

4way o.O

One month in.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:44 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
when i refered to the messiness i meant that i thought it works as design. those stems pointing in different directions create a pleasing balance. if it were my tank i would just plant those Eleocharis or whatever they are and leave the rest of it be.

-D
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've planted the Eleocharis ( dwarf hairgrass) three or four times now. Half of the sand in the tank is really super fine, the other half is a bit larger in particle size. The super fine crap sits on the top, and does not hold new plants well at all. I think the tetras swimming through it disturbs it and up it goes. Or maybe it's one of those dinosaurs...A substrate change is in order, once I find a suitable similarly colored sand with bigger particle size that is inert.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode