40 Breeder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
40 Breeder

Just getting started and need more plants. Anyone has suggestions let me know I'll take considerations. I'm planning to add some small anubius to the left side, cyperus H. to the left and right corners.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the sand and rock look. Only thing i can suggest is to bring the drift wood on the right a little bit forward. Seems invisible behind the plants and add moss to the drift wood. Anubias will work also.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 AM

I 2nd Marimoball's driftwood comment, it would look great in front of plants on the right. I think Anubis Nana along the rocks would look good as well.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Uhmmmm can't do that since there is a slate under the wood to keep it from floating. I know I shouldn't have use it and just tried to water log it but it's too late now. Also I should have gotten an ADG rimless tank even with the cost. The top rim is annoying me lately and my setup would have look great with the ADG.

I was thinking of adding more wood, maybe manzanita wood but making it water log sucks. What I really want is Bolbitis, but I failed pretty bad last time.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I like the concept. couple of things you may or may not know....

- don't worry about not going with an ADA tank (that can be bought from ADG). If your scape is good enough, those ugly black trims won't matter (see https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...k-warning.html)
- careful with the sand and aquasoil (?) mixing.
- good luck with keeping the sand clean (diatoms, bga, gsa, even bba are easily seen with those)
- driftwood from manzanita takes about a week or so to get waterlogged, but will discolor your water like crazy. Make sure you boil it if you get some. Get Purigen or carbon as insurance in case you see water discoloration.
- that wisteria will take over your tank, and the longer it is there the better its rooting will be -- will give you a good dust clouding when you decide to take it out.
- the tank needs a top up. Get the water line high enough to be hidden by the black trim, I promise you it will look better.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Here's a quick update, took out the drift wood w/ slate on the right side...it's just floating now look for a new home but I've been lazy. Added a few more plants but basically only the wisteria is growing which it should. Now I gotta start to learn how to dose properly. Man it just don't look as nice as the good ones you see on the net...

Before

Now
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
What sort of rocks did you use? Slate?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Rocks are called Basalt, you can find them at most places that sells stones for landscaping.

As for the slate, I took out the driftwood that was attach to a slate of rock. I hated it because if you plant near the drift wood the slate under it makes the level of substrate too shallow. I had this drift wood for over a year and I thought it would since by now but nope, it's just floating. I'm too lazy to take it out so it's there for now and I actually don't mind it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't really tell if thats an Anubias or some Crypt, but that plant in the middle, closest to the viewer, if it is an anubias shouldn't have its rhizome burried. Not sure if it is, and you probs already know that.
It looks really good too. I do agree though that the water line should be up behind the black trim. It is a very clean looking tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

It is attached to a small rock but not visible on the pic. This is my first real planted tank that I really scaped.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i really like the look of your tank, clean and just makes me relaxed looking at it. now for some more neons!!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I think the growth is looking pretty good, wisteria never hurts the eyes while learning to dose and grow other species, but the other plants don't look so bad from here either. I like the open sand bed and rock layout, the anubias really kicked it up a notch.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
i really like the look of your tank, clean and just makes me relaxed looking at it. now for some more neons!!
LOL I had over 20 cardinals but they all died and I haven't been able to figure it out. I actually got a thread in the fish section "larger cardinals dying". I guess the disease spread to the whole batch while all the others species are fine. I believe it might be that disease dubbed the "neon tetra disease". I'm going to try Harlequins next.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
cool tank... I got 8 harlequin hengeli a few weeks ago. THey're pretty cool. They seriously shoal.. Better than tetras.

And expect the red rainbow to grow 3 times that size (if you treat them right )

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
looks good, I like the contrast of the rocks on the bright sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode