30cm Nano Cube Journal - **24/12 Update - 45 days** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
30cm Nano Cube Journal - **24/12 Update - 45 days**

My latest project in the making - Bedroom 30cm Cube Nano Tank

Chapter 1. Foundation equipment - Tank/Light/Stand

First task was to find a nice size tank that I felt would be a good size. Something not too small but not too big either. I was happy with the Aqua one 30cm cube tank.

Second, was to find a light that would be suitable. I chose a cheap ebay light fixture with 2x 24w compact fluros. This was more than sufficient light for this sized tank.

Third, to find a stand that looked neat and flush with the tank. Results after searching many furniture stores/aquarium shops failed miserably. I then sourced another hobbiest who helped me with this stand.

Here is a few pics of the stand in progress:

Next task was to find a nice location for this unit. After setting everything up, it was moved upstairs to a bedroom.

Cabinet opened to show space for canister filter/Co2 Gear etc

Stand has two holes on the side replicated from ADA show stands. They look pretty nifty imo, perfect for the tubing to and from the filters/co2.

Light chosen with the 2x 24w 8000k compact fluro lights. They came with 2 switches so light levels could be cut in half easily.

The light is suspended from stainless steel line atteched to a bent solid steel bar

The height of the stand was made to suit easy access of the inside of the tank without the back pains. A few more pics to finish.

Hardscape materials boiled, cleaned and dried ready for use:

Next update, Hardscape and ADA equipment. Any comments, critiques welcome.

Cheers,

Saph.

Last edited by resilience; 12-23-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 AM

Awesome stand, it really goes with the clean look
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
I did a similar thing with my mini M. Where did you get that light? Did you attach your stand to the floor. I bolted mine with three screws into my concrete floor because I was scared it would be to top heavy and easily tipped over.

Thats a lot of great hardscape to choose from I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Are you using lilly pipes? I made my own out of acrylic and kind of with I had invested in the ADA ones... Are you using ADA co2 or something something else?

Sorry for all the questions I am just really interested in your project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments.

The light was purchased from ebay from a local seller. I paid $51 AUD including postage. The stand is freestanding with no secure bolts to the floor. I have setup similar tanks in the past and due to the weight of the fully filled tank/stand, its too heavy to tip over unless you physically pushed it with alot of effort. (Touch wood though).
Yes I will be using lily pipes, keeping it clean and neat is my goal. Co2 will also be via ADA perhaps trying the Cal Aqua Labs inline diffuser.

Im still waiting for the equipment to arrive, but in the meantime planning a hardscape. Will update shortly.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the hardscape will look like. The stand looks very well made, I still think some sort of wall attachment (some type of bracing bracket) would greatly increase your "peace of mind" when it comes to the possibility of tipping, your stand does look pretty tall and extremely top heavy. In my opinion, 2 screws and a metal bracket would pay off in the long-run "JUST IN CASE"

--Daniel

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Very nice start. I can see you got lots of rocks ready.
I think you should stick to one color only, dont mix dark and light color together.
Looking forward for any progress.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Awesome looking start. Can't wait to see your progress!
________
Canelita live

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Algae Grower

very nice setup. hope to see more updates soon.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

Mine is extremely top heavy. I wasn't just worried about people bumping into it but also earthquakes. Of course if the earthquake is strong enough to get the stand to fall over then the tank is probably just going to slide off my stand instead.

Are you using ADA mini lilly pipes or regular sized ones? I was looking at the cal aqua inline diffusor too. I just got worried that it would be hard to clean and easily broken. Considering it would be underneath my stand the extra "coolness" glass hardware gives would be lost on everyone but myself. I also had a hard time finding people who had experience with it to get some opinions.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Man very very nice! what is the e-bay seller cuz here in the states Ive never seen a 2x24w 8k fixture. I know in AUS voltage is 220. Nice woek on the stand. Did you wet sand the stand and add clear coat cuz it looks smooth. I agree with every one else. You should secure the stand to the wall.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
Man very very nice! what is the e-bay seller cuz here in the states Ive never seen a 2x24w 8k fixture. I know in AUS voltage is 220. Nice woek on the stand. Did you wet sand the stand and add clear coat cuz it looks smooth. I agree with every one else. You should secure the stand to the wall.
Hi MARIMOBALL, if it's OK, I'll answer some of your questions as I built the stand for Brandon.

Before the final coat, yes I did wet sand the stand with a very fine grade of paper. There is no clear coat. 3 coats of undercoat and then 3 coats of top coat. All I used were the spray cans you can get just about anywhere.

The e-bay seller here in Oz is 1guppy1. They are very cheap and popular lights here.

Last edited by shake; 10-07-2007 at 07:42 AM.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Planted Member

I am surprised we don't have that kind of light available here in the US. It would fit my Mini M perfectly.

Nice job on the stand looks good.

Still waiting for some hardscape pics.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
thanks for the info. the ADA light for the mini goes for $160 here that light is prob $50 at most, and you get an 8K bulb. Ill have to track down the brand of light and contact them directly. Currently im thinking of getting a 27w full spectrum desk lamp that looks like a robot at Home Depot and taking it apart and building a custom hanging fixture with it.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
thanks for the info. the ADA light for the mini goes for $160 here that light is prob $50 at most, and you get an 8K bulb. Ill have to track down the brand of light and contact them directly. Currently im thinking of getting a 27w full spectrum desk lamp that looks like a robot at Home Depot and taking it apart and building a custom hanging fixture with it.
Don't you think 2 of these:

AH Supply 13 Watt bright kit w/ reflectors

would be more cost effective, versatile, and just all arround do a better job?

Just a thought.
________
KaddaNdra live

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
did you make the stand from which the light hangs? i've always wondered where people are getting these. obviously not the ADA one.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode