Ed's 60P Redo (#5) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Ed's 60P Redo (#5)

Hi All,

I've decided to redo my DoAqua 60P. This will be my 5th redo of this specific tank, and my 28th attempt at aquascaping.

The concept is going to be simple. For this aquascape, I'm going to use the following:
- Iwagumi setup with Seiryu stone hardscape (5 rocks total)
- DHG carpet front and back
- Don't plan to use any other plants, but may add in background plants if I get too bored

Technical specs:
- Filtration: Finnex PX-360 w/ 15 Rena biostars and stock ceramic discs
- Outflow/Inflow: Generic Lily Pipe from Ebay(?) and Do!Aqua Violet Glass
- Lighting: Custom built Makersled LED fixture
- CO2: 20lb pressurized CO2 injection that is hooked up in parallel with 3 other tanks in the room, bps = who knows =]
- Fertilization: PlantFertz K,N,Micro 2 pumps and Flourish Iron 2mL xWIR (hopefully every 3d)

*WIR = Whenever I remember

Let me know if there's anything else you guys want to know about my tank!

Day 0 (2014.01.11): Hardscape
Finally got around to designing the hardscape. Took about 3 or so tries and 2 days to get this right. From my previous experiences setting up these tanks, I almost always am never satisfied with my first layout/placement. I need to be able to sleep on it for at least a night or two without making any tweaks or finding any flaws before I am satisfied enough to set things up. There are very few things more frustrating than trying to redo a layout with soggy aquasoil...

Day 1 (2014.01.13): Initial Planting & Fill-Up
Finished my section exam, so I decided to plant the tank. I went with a pure DHG layout for simplicity. Used about 3 pots worth of DHG that I got at a local LFS a few days back. The quality of the DHG wasn't very good, so let them sit in my 90P with high light and high CO2 and got them back into good shape. I think it still only came out to about 70% of the biomass that 3 healthy pots would have provided.

The filter I'm using is a Finnex PX-360 that was running on this take before I broke it down. As soon as I broke the tank down for this rescaping, I hooked it up to another tank so that I could at least hang on to the beneficial bacteria. Hence, my tank should cycle pretty quickly. I'm still expecting to run into the typical progression of diatoms -> algae -> clear water. I'm pretty busy, so I'll be using my personal low maintenance, let the tanks take care of themselves mostly method AKA water change every 3 months, top-off evaporated water when needed. =] It works for all my other tanks and keeps me pretty happy.

I also got the parts for the LED light fixture for this tank. It currently is using an 12" custom fixture that I built with parts from ebay, LEDgroupbuy, etc. I'll set up a separate journal documenting how I make the light fixture. With my schedule it'll probably take at least 2 or 3 evenings to get it done.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M

Last edited by ced281; 01-14-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Updated w/ latest photo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like it! I love minimalist tanks. I'll be looking forward to updates!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Rock position looks great. I'm interested to see how this turns out too.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
nice layout, bookmarked

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode