My 50 gallon setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
My 50 gallon setup

Hey all,

I have had 20H and 10g planted tanks running for about a year now, but I was able to acquire a 50 gallon with substrate and light for a reasonable price from another member here (Thanks JDinh). I have had this tank set up for about a month now, but just finally got a digital camera, so I figured i'd share my setup with you. Comments and criticisms are very welcome!
50 gallon
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil
Coralife 2X96W light (96W from 11-8:30, 192W from 12-6)
cascade 700 and cascade 500 canister filters
Pressurized CO2 with Rexulator and DIY reactor(run inline on canister)
Hardscape: Driftwood w/ riccia, riccia rock

Flora: HM, blyxa japonica, rotala colorata, rotala sp green, rotala rotundifolia, ludwigia palustris, ludwigia arcuata, eriocaulon type 2, riccia, limnophila aromatica, hygro sunset, hygro bold, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, rotala vietnam, rotala hippuris, Rotala sp. 'Goias', Polygonum sp. 'Kawagoneum', Ranunculus inundatus, echinodorus orientalis, peacock moss rope. I also just started to grow a mat of HC for the foreground using the method described by Tom Barr in a recent post.

Fauna: 15 harlequin rasboras, 4 bolivian rams, 2 northern blue rainbows, 4 julli corys, 2 pygmy corys, 4 unidentified otos (Anyone know what they are from the pic below?), rubberlipped pleco, 2 white cloud mountain minnows, 4 cambarellus shufeltii

Here are some photos. The tank is still filling in, and i'm planning to switch some of the plants out for others in the near future. Thanks for looking and for comments and criticisms!
Full tank

Left side

right side

UnID'd oto. Any help here?

dwarf cray

Rams:I think the first photo is 2 females, while the next 2 photos are a male. Anyone have opinions here?

Rainbow

Sorry for the quality of some of the pics. These fish won't sit still!

Mike

Last edited by mpodolan; 10-03-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Erk

PTrader: (25/100%)
The tank looks great! I like a lot of the plants you have in there!

In regards to the rams...the ones with the pinkish bellies are female

Keep up the nice work
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks erk! I have been able to acquire many of the plants that I have wanted for this setup from the SNS here. Thanks for the info on the rams, as well

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful tank; lots of growth for a month. Does your crayfish give you any trouble?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, sonicstang! The crayfish aren't troublesome at all. They are still juveniles, but they only get 1.5-2", as they are dwarf crays. They are very cool to watch, and they do a nice job searching the substrate for excess food, etc.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM

I might have to pick one up! Again beautiful; I hope my tank fills in as well!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
The tank looks good! Glad to see it again!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank JD! I'm having a great time with this tank. it's nice to have so much more room to work with
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a quick update. I made a few changes, because I received some new plants. I added some Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia', pogostemon stellatus, and an Aponogeton madagascariensis. Things are continuing to fill out, with little algae so far (keeping fingers crossed)

Full tank

Left side with new additions

Right side

Let me know what you think

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great looking tank. Thanks for naming your substrate cuz it's what I have and I didn't write down the name b4 tossing the bag. Now I can add it to my profile.........lol!
________
Glass Bubblers

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdon1md View Post
Great looking tank. Thanks for naming your substrate cuz it's what I have and I didn't write down the name b4 tossing the bag. Now I can add it to my profile.........lol!
thanks! Yea, it's not the best looking substrate, but it was free and seems to work well so far.

Mike

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 AM

WoW! I like your tank. I hope mine becomes that some day! I'm glad to see that someone who gives advise really walks their talk! Good Job!
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
WoW! I like your tank. I hope mine becomes that some day! I'm glad to see that someone who gives advise really walks their talk! Good Job!
I appreciate that! I'll update next week once I get some new pics, as I've made a few changes

Mike

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Where are you guys getting blyxa japonica?
I can't find it anywhere.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got it from the SNS. I might have some to sell soon. I might be more willing to sell if you had some comments about my tank...haha

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode