It begins! My Fluval Ebi CBS/CRS Haven - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
It begins! My Fluval Ebi CBS/CRS Haven

Hey guys so I'm finally getting my Ebi going. My ultimate goal for this tank will be to keep cbs/crs. I will keep it low tech to avoid any CO2 complications with the shrimp. Like most any Ebi you will see I ran into the background problem. So the start of this tank involved re-attaching said background.

This is the final result, looks like it should hold!

I will be using Floramax black to build up the substrate and capping it with the included shrimp stratum, Osmocote+ will also be used for plant growth. I saw a nice stumpy looking piece of driftwood at Petco I might try and procure tomorrow. I'll get into what plants I'm using in tomorrow's post.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
I'd stay away from the Osmocote+ if you are making a shrimp haven. osmocote+ leaches ammonia. Not a huge fan of shrimp stratum but its what you already have so will fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Just be really careful not to over do it. Put in less than you think you need if at all. I find if you have plants that will sufficiently use it, then you shouldn't have a problem.

From experience and research, ammonia problems tend to come from too many osmocote

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Two days ago I spent about five hours scaping. This was my first try at aquascaping a fully planted tank. I picked up a nice piece of driftwood. The anubias that was supposed to have come with it had died off, I asked the manager of the Petco if I could have an albino bristlenose pleco instead and he said yes! This driftwood has a really cool pleco cave built in, it faces the front of the tank and goes back almost two inches. Can't wait to watch the pleco and shrimps hiding out in there! I did run into some problems with the substrate. It was harder than I thought to build up the higher spots, I wanted a small passage under the driftwood but I couldn't get the two high points the driftwood was resting on to hold the weight, they would flatten and spread out as I tried to build them up, and I didn't want to have the floramax start showing through. Here are my included plants so far. Special thanks to drewsuf82 for the RAOK that made these plants possible!

Anubias Heterophylla
Dwarf Sag
Crypt Wenditti
Red Crypt WEnditti
Dwarf Sag
Jungle Vals
Wisteria
R Cabomba
Bacopa

The floramax base

Capping with UP aquasoil

Some of the plants in placr

Different angle on plants

Suprisingly clear water for one light rinse of floramax!

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by DTDPlanted; 01-15-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: adding info
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

reserve post 2-FAUNA
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forgot to reserve my future setup posts :P thanks for the advice on osmocote, I was thinking one capsule opened up and spread about on top of the floramax but under the shrimp stratum. Does this sound appropriate for the tank size? I figure that is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a teaspoon. I understand your thoughts on the shrimp stratum Bostoneric, Ive read mixed reviews but like you said, it's what I got . I actually have a bag of UP Aquasoil...since Im trying to make this my best tank maybe I will use that instead. I have another tank I wanted to plant that I could use the Fluval stratum on, and compare results later.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Going to have to agree with bostoneric, unless you really need it I would shy away from osm+. Many use it safely but I personally have had a whole colony of shrimp crash from adding this to my up shrimp sand. Unless you're thinking of stems or heavy root feeders I would just pass on it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question

I have had some strange pleco deaths in this tank. After being established a few days I put my female betta "Ruby" into the tank along with an albino bristle-nose pleco that came with the driftwood. The second day I came home from work and the little guy was belly up on the substrate . I tested all parameters and came up with fat zeros on all, maybe 5ppm nitrate if any. I should note that I used well established bio media in the filter from my edge. I chalked this up to a sickly fish from Petco (no surprise) and took him back to the store where I got a replacement. The new guy went in the tank yesterday night. I saw him moving and stuck to the driftwood when I got home from work around 6:30, and within an hour or two of that he was belly up too! Ruby seems to be happy as a clam with no stress bars or other signs of distress, good appetite etc. any ideas as to what is causing this? I should note again that once the second death occurred I re-tested all parameters. Zero on all, and pH seems steady at 7.6. A bit high for the CRS/CBS I want to keep so Ill be working on bringing this down for the next couple of weeks

Also my acclimation method is 30-60min floating in the tank for temp adjustment, then drip acclimation in a separate container for a few minutes until it's topped off, followed by 15-20 minutes in this container before being released into the tank.

Last edited by DTDPlanted; 01-17-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: adding parameters
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

I highly doubt your tank is fully cycled in 6 days. Especially if you could barely find a nitrate reading. Did you get an ammonia reading at all?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wasn't really expecting a full cycle either, no ammonia reading. I'm confused as to what could have killed them if all those parameters are reading zero. I also have another pleco from the same source in my established edge, seems to be doing just fine there. I'm starting to wonder if it's starvation from the store, they aren't particularly fat when they come home

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
if you are doing shrimp there really are only 2 fish that are shrimp safe.

an Otto and panda loach.

a pleco will just make a big mess of everything and pollute the water.

Also when you order shrimp they'll probably come in breather bags. do not float those.
method i've used for adding new shrimp to any of my tanks is SLOOOOOW drip method.
I even do it twice. once the container I'm using get full i remove most of the water in there and do another full drip till that container is full.
again sloooooooowly. 1 drip a second.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Cool info for even me, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post

an Otto and panda loach.

Also when you order shrimp they'll probably come in breather bags. do not float those.
method i've used for adding new shrimp to any of my tanks is SLOOOOOW drip method.
I even do it twice. once the container I'm using get full i remove most of the water in there and do another full drip till that container is full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post

an Otto and panda loach.

As always thanks for your insight bostoneric. I do find myself liking ottos more than plecos after some research anyway. I would like to keep a few but after the tank is well established and stable of course. For now Ill just rely on my betta to get things cycling. Once things seem stable Ill look to introducing some CRS and CBS! woohoo!

Also, I have read a few posts about the "white stuff" that grows on driftwood and I see people saying its usual fungus, goes away on its own, etc. I would describe what Im seeing as looking like spider webbing, the kind that will fully cover a small area and looks like somewhat like cotton. Does this fall into that category? Ill take a picture for good measure. I hit some spots with H202 to see what would happen. I also see some green underneath some spots which looks like a bit of algae creeping up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode