Low tech lotus tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low tech lotus tank

Here's a shot from day 1 right after my first water fill

The substrate is dirt with PF sand cap. I stared out planting 4 tiger lotus, some crypts, Val and sage. Also floating amazon frog bit

This was taken bout a week and half in.

One month after setup I added 6 sterbai. Cories till then I only had 2 harlequin rasboras in there. Filtration to this point was an old whisper. I replaced it with ac110 and a large sponge then a month later I added a fluval 404

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
don't bury the lotus bulb all the way, it could rot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Added 6 wild caught angel about a month ago. They have very nice shape to their faces

Their coloration is very silvery in low light and other times it looks greenish. They re very entertaining to watch constantly pecking and flaring at one another. They eat everything I've tried feeding them. My only concern is that they really bite the hell out of one another, some of them have battle sores hopefully now that they're in a much larger tank (than LFS) and they have way more cover etc they'll stop inflicting so much punishment on each other (won't hold my breathe) . For now I'll just keep the water as clean as possible and keep an eye on them. I'll add a few current shots of my tank soon. Still unsure if I need more plants or if I need to wait it out and let the lotus grow out more. I was thinking of tearing down my 55 and relocating my crinum calimastratum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I love the lotus. Given some time, they will overtake your entire tank, regardless of the tank size.

My 2 breeding Angels are always in one of two modes: making love or killing each other, torn fins, body bites, chasing and so on. Looks like the male gets the short end if it.

I personally think that you are good on plants, especially if you want to keep it on the lower end of maintenance. But that's a personal choice and taste.

IME, how you plan the bulbs does not matter: if lotus wants to live, it will do just fine either way, and then some.

Just try to enjoy the tank. Looking good.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode