Hidden Rainbow, 30L dennerle nano with DIY slate background. Lots of photos (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hidden Rainbow, 30L dennerle nano with DIY slate background. Lots of photos (56K)

A big fan of planted aquariums and wanting to create something a little different.

I decided to make a DIY slate background for the tank, as I wanted something that stood out and added a dark, yet natural, backdrop for the plants to contrast against.

The photo below is the latest photo of the tank, and I will try to update it every week.

I have written more about the slate background in a post below this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3510.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	256841  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A big list of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The slate background was made by simply attaching some thin pieces of Welsh slate to a sheet of 3mm acrylic using some aquarium silicone sealant.

The slate was supplied by Fennstones. there website is: http://www.fennstones.co.uk/

I arranged the slate in the most natural way I could think of, and placed some pieces of slate on top of others to ensure there were no gaps or silicone showing.

The slate has a fantastic colour that provides the most brilliant contrast when compared with vibrant aquatic plants.

Slate is the perfect material for this kind of project as you can use very thin pieces to create a good look, without taking up lots of space in the tank.

The background is stuck onto the glass using silicone sealant.

More shall follow on the planting, tank specifications etc..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3439.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	256849  

Name:	DSCF3456.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	256857  

A big list of
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
love the background

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazenight View Post
love the background
Thanks. It was very easy to make, only took me an hour or so in total, excluding letting the silicone cure

A big list of
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7g Cube -
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The more I see of tanks with slate backgrounds the more I want to make one for my own tank. That looks lovely! Are you going to attach any mosses or ferns to it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank and equipment specifications:

The tank is a 30 litre Dennerle Nano Cube and the background, as already established is a DIY slate arrangement with the slate from fennstones.co.uk.

The substrate is one base layer of JBL aquabasis with some Dennerle shrimp substrate, I believe to be the Sulawesi Black version.

The filter is a Marina slim 20 which is perfect for the tank, quiet, slim and can hold a lot of media. Here is a review for the Marina slim range
25W Aquatropic heater.

CO2 is supplied via a DIY yeast solution which runs from the bottle, through a non return valve, then through a two way spliiter with one end going to a release valve and another into the diffuser. I used a Fluval ceramic diffuser and here's a handy tip for your co2 tubing: slide it though a glass capilliary tube to keep it straight and neat instead of paying good money for one of those glass tubes; it looks no less elegant yet costs far less.

The drop checker is a very cheap one found on Ebay - you can get much more stylish ones but there really is no need.

Lighting: I took an aquael decolight duo plant and replaced the pink light with another daylight bulb. Total 22 Watts, one 10k and the other 6.5k I believe.

A big list of
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Wow that's quite a lovely background, I would attach some mini mosses to it for added 'pop' without loosing the detail of the slate depth from some of the larger mosses (or just trim larger ones as they over grow it).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Guys,

A lot of you have suggested adding some moss. I was thinking of some weeping moss or something that will trail down the slate. maybe something for any shrimplets to hide in too.

A big list of
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice background!

What sorts of fish/inverts are in there? I think I see glowlight danios and furcatas.

Deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your comments and suggestions so far guys, much appreciated.

I will make a post shortly about which plants and livestock I have in there. I will just take a few good photos first to illustrate.

A big list of
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planting:

Complete list of plants added thus far:

Foreground
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Sagittaria subulata

Midground/background
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia Mini Super Red
Rotala Wallichii
Proserpinaca Palustris
Hemianthus micranthemoides

A big list of
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

I have removed the red Ludwigia and replaced it with some Najas sp. roraima and Najas guadalupensis which are both more delicate-looking plants. I hope this makes the tank look bigger and won't take over quite like the Ludwigia does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24th-jan-2014.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	264610  

A big list of
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

An article on this slate background can be found here: http://aquaristmagazine.com/making-d...te-background/

A big list of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode