55g Reconstruction - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
55g Reconstruction

Well, I decided that I really like the look of black blasting sand, so I have concluded that I am going to replace the current tan/brown pool filter sand.
It is currently has dirt as well. As a preventative, I am removing at-least 50% of the dirt because my Bolivian Rams really dig deep craters when breeding and I am always fearful they will dig to deep and create a nasty mess of the water.

I want to place Osmocote Plus root tabs between the current dirt and the blasting sand, is there a specific way to do it? I don't want to over do it or under do it.

Once I get the sand in, I will post pics for thoughts on scaping, driftwood, & planting placement. And I am asking for your opinions.

Specifications:
-Tank been running 17 months
-2 Penguin Bio-Wheel HOB filters (1 house filter floss only/other house all fluval ceramic bio-media)
-300 watt heater
-Dirt with PFS as cap (changing to blasting sand)
-T8 Shoplight
-50% weekly water change
-Background painted blue

Current Plants:
-Red Tiger Lotus
-Brazilian Pennywort
-Crypt/red
-Amazon sword (recently melted due to me relocating it, so may not see it in upcoming pics)
-Anubia
-Java fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')
-Java fern (Microsorum pteropus)
-Water sprite
-Hygrophila polysperma (I think)
-Alternanthera Reineckii
-Cryptocoryne Balansae
Dose dry ferts & Glut.,daily

Current Fauna:
8 Rummy Nose Tetras (8/12 survived)
1 Adult male double sword guppy
1 Adult female bristle nose
2 Bolivian Rams (paired)
1 female German blue Ram
4 Green Corydoras
3 Julii Corydoras
1 Assassin snail

If I left any info out, please ask for it....thanks

Last edited by Aqualady; 01-08-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Forgive the phone pics......It has been close to 8 hours and i am finally done. Pics follow
First 2 pics are before, hince,the sand
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140108_140225.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	257169

Name:	20140108_140254.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	257177

Name:	20140108_195712.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	257185

Name:	20140108_194609.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	257193
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, no one has a thought? Oh well.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like the black compared to the natural sand. Creates a nice contrast with the blue background and the plants. They seem to pop and stand out more now.

I have never been a big fan of black but it is growing on me more and more as I see it. I think it is the blue backdrop than it looks really nice with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like the black sand and how it looks. I only like pfs if you are gonna do lots of ground cover plants. I say either get more plants or stock it up with lots of schooling fish. I personally go over board on filtration so I can have to many fish It looks great though. great work.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
I really like the black compared to the natural sand. Creates a nice contrast with the blue background and the plants. They seem to pop and stand out more now.

I have never been a big fan of black but it is growing on me more and more as I see it. I think it is the blue backdrop than it looks really nice with.
Thanks Texan...I did not like the black for a long time...of course it has grown on me over the years now...I agree it seems the background stands out much more....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whjdm069 View Post
I like the black sand and how it looks. I only like pfs if you are gonna do lots of ground cover plants. I say either get more plants or stock it up with lots of schooling fish. I personally go over board on filtration so I can have to many fish It looks great though. great work.
Thank you, I want a foreground plant, maybe Downoi or s. repens any suggestions.....when I had pfs my plans were to cover 85-90% but seem to never get that far....I also want to up my Rummy nose or what is another schooling fish that would compliment the rnt?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
what is another schooling fish that would compliment the rnt?
Cardinals/Neons are some of my favorite and Harlequin Rasbora would compliment the Rummy Nose nicely. My daughter calls the Rummy Nose race car fish because of their checker tails.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Cardinals/Neons are some of my favorite and Harlequin Rasbora would compliment the Rummy Nose nicely. My daughter calls the Rummy Nose race car fish because of their checker tails.
cute....I like them because my favorite color is red and I love zebra pattern so those fit my liking......I have 12 harlequin rasboras in my 40B which is about 12 feet away from this tank...lol....any other schooling fish ideas/ I thank you for giving some advice
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Gave me some inspiration for my 55g! Would love to have some nice driftwood like you've got!

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuuder View Post
Gave me some inspiration for my 55g! Would love to have some nice driftwood like you've got!
Awesome, glad to know I inspired you.... fiance and I found the dw at a lake over 1 year ago......me and my fiance are waiting for the below 0 weather to get above 0 so we can hunt for more....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
cute....I like them because my favorite color is red and I love zebra pattern so those fit my liking......I have 12 harlequin rasboras in my 40B which is about 12 feet away from this tank...lol....any other schooling fish ideas/ I thank you for giving some advice
Her favorite pattern is zebra print to so she likes them as well.

Another option but I have had a hard time finding them even online is Green Neon (P. simulans) lively, tiny little fish with a cool, green-blue neon stripe and less intense red on the belly than the cardinal tetra. Does not grow nearly as large as the cardinal (about half the size). Very social. Great for small planted tanks. If you want to go balls out and can afford them some dwarf neon rainbows are really nice too.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Contrasting colors

This is just an IMHO.
I think you are going to need a lot of stem plants
to offset the blue background. This tank calls for a
Dutch style setup. Blue is very bright and is a contrasting
color to green, so there is competition. If the blue is
painted on or adhered to with a film sheet, I would suggest
you remove it and put on maybe a black background.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by walluby View Post
This is just an IMHO.
I think you are going to need a lot of stem plants
to offset the blue background. This tank calls for a
Dutch style setup. Blue is very bright and is a contrasting
color to green, so there is competition. If the blue is
painted on or adhered to with a film sheet, I would suggest
you remove it and put on maybe a black background.
Thanks for the advice. I had a black background on it before and I didn't like it for myself. Yes, I want this tank to be heavily planted but we all know it can take time for that to happen. I wish I had the $$ to throw all the plants in it all at once but I don't, so I will enjoy the journey getting there. My goal is to have many plants. Also, do have any suggestions of nice stem plants?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tiny update

I added a little planter with a tiny amount of fissden fontanus **aka***Phoenix moss. I am hoping for a full planter of it. Before anyone ask...lol...I did not have much so I spread out what i had (wish I had more)

Name:	20140109_144340.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	257569

FTS with new FF planter

Name:	20140109_144415.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	257577

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode