ADA 29g Pre-Journal **(75cm w/ ROUGH STAND PICS) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
ADA 29g Pre-Journal **(75cm w/ ROUGH STAND PICS)

Hello everyone! As many may know, I've been planning on setting up a planted tank for quite some time now, and due to certain limitations, it fell through. Finally, I have begun the process, and will most likely have the aquarium up and running no later than december.

I am going to be aiming for an ADA style scape, with some decent gear...

-AGA 29g 30x12x18
-Coralife 2x65w Power Compact
-Rena Filstar xP3
-Pressurized CO2 5lb cylinder, solenoid, Rhinox 2000, ect
-2 liters of Powersand Special S
-12 liters of Aquasoil Amazonia I or II (also need opinions)
-Rex Griggs or Greg Watson ferts (EI method)

This will be my first high light planted tank, and I realize how difficult it might be, so I've really taken my time in terms of research to make sure everything is right. I hope that this goes along well, and I'm already excited for opinions and thoughts from all of you here on the boards. The plants that I'm thinking about as of now consist of...

-Rotala rotundafolia
-Eleocharis vivipara
-Cyperus helferi
-Taiwan Moss
-Eleocharis montevidensis (Giant Hairgrass)
-LOTS of HC

And the Hardscape right now, consists of some sand blasted Malaysian wood...

As of now, the hardscape, and my choice of filter, is what I need some opinions on. The hardscape I'm liking right now is on page 2, I accidently deleted all the photos from my host... I'g going to use this one, moved over to the right a bit...

I'm planning to cover a decent amount of the driftwood with taiwan or peacock moss, then put some Cyperus Helferi or stem plants behind them, and fill in the foregrounds with a carpet of HC. Sorry about the picture/temp. setup, its very mundane. I would actually use the tank, but it is still home to my low tech fish aquarium. All opinions and criticism are more than welcomed!! Thanks!

Last edited by CmLaracy; 01-07-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
They both look rather large, assuming the duct tape indicates the footprint of your tank. I bought a piece of driftwood when starting my tank based purely on measurements, and though it fit well it ended up dominating the entire tank even after my plants grew in, making the tank appear very small.

They are nice pieces though so you should try them out in the tank and see how it looks. You could always cut them in half too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

I see what what your talking about! Your so very right... I think I might be able to get away with the first one, but not the second... Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 PM

I have a xP2 on my 29g planted and it's excellent. I would highly recommend it. I can't say enough good about it and especially because it is more bang for your buck. I believe it was only $75 on bigalsonline.com.

Also, I have seen plenty of ADA tanks but what exactly does ADA mean, I feel like such a newb hahaha
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

ADA stands for aqua design amano. Tekeshi Amano is a legend in aquscaping, so much so that he has a style named after him, cause he made it, and hes worth millions and sells an entire line of amazing but very pricey aquarium supplies. here is a good link to some of his tanks

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...rip-japan.html
post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I second the XP2. I have one on my 29g and it is excellent. I can't compare them to Fluval though, since I've never owned one, but my Renas have all impressed me.

I like the first piece of wood better in that position.

Get ferts from Rex....they are cheaper.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the link, I have seen ones like those.
I really like this link:
http://www.aquaristics.com/ada-gallery.php
I can't use that much bandwith at my college so it says bandwith limit exceeded but they are insanely nice tanks.
BTW I kind of like the driftwood offset to the left better.
post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Cool, but what should I do about the hole in the bottom of the first piece? I wish that spot was filled with wood, it would look so much nicer... maybe I'll cover it up with some moss...

Would the XP3 be complete overkill on my tank? cause big al is have a 10% off sale on an already cheap $89 XP3... or should I save some bones and go with the XP2?
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
I think people tend to go way overboard on the filtration for their planted tanks. Once the tank is balanced and running well the plants do the majority of the work for you. I have a AquaClear 70 and its more than enough for my tank, even with a heavy fish load.

post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

So the xp2 will do?
post #11 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have an xp1 running my 37 gallon (same footprint as your 29 gallon, just taller) and I think it has to much flow. I am very pleased with the quality though. It is silent.

post #12 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

nice, so the xp2 it is then!

That must be one TALL aquarium...
post #13 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

I'm not really liking any of the three pieces of sandblasted malaysian wood I bought... good thing I can return them for cash, they were $35 a piece! I'm going to exchange them for some that I might hopefully like better.
post #14 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
got a xp1 on a planted 29g and love it, in my living dead quiet filters like a beast!

id go with the xp2 its just more filter baskets and a minimal amount of flow more then the xp1.

post #15 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Deffinitely choose the XP2; fluvals are crap.

If theres a chance for frequent re-scaping/etc, then you might want to consider ditching the powersand, it pulls up quite easily and it's effects supposeably fade away within a few months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode