Sophie's 20gH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sophie's 20gH

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and decided it was time to start my own journal. I started setting up my 20 gallon high tank in November 2013. I know next to nothing about keeping planted tanks, but decided this tank would be where I learn.

So I set it up with some plants. Some are still here, some aren't. I dose twice weekly with flourish. It is my new year's resolution to get stronger lighting and co2 going on this tank to make it more high tech. I have a lot of learning to do, I don't even know the names of some of my plants.

Currently it has:
- The big leafy plant on the left which I got from my LFS when I set the tank up. This one is doing great, it's had to be trimmed a few times and has a bunch of new leaves growing. No idea of the name though.
- Some java moss sort of attached to the driftwood.
- Anubias attached to the driftwood. This has been doing really well since I started adding flourish, heaps of new leaves.
- The plant at the back with the small leaves. No idea what it is but I had it in an old tank and while it's not really thriving, it lives.
- Big bunch of water sprite on the right. Just added this today.
- 3 guppies, 2 platys, 1 dwarf gourami, snails and a bunch of fry.

I just wanted to start this journal so that I can keep a track of my progress. I hope to learn heaps about planted tanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.47.10 pm.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	256281  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Algae Grower

I'm completely identical to you. Will be starting my first planted tank soon on a new 70 litre tank I just got, and a journal will follow shortly after that. Interested to see what you do with your tank, will keep an eye on this to see what you learn! Subscribed. Tank looks nice!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added some java fern so here's an updated photo! Currently has three platys, one guppy, heaps of guppy fry and a DG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 9.23.24 pm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	260946  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Really nice start to your tank. Had a similar start, but not as nice. Cant tell from the pic, but if you have the rhyzome of the java fern below your substrate, the fern will eventually die. Best to attache to driftwood or pull it up enough were just the roots are burried.

You can check out my tank journal in my sig and see how mine has progressed. It takes time and yours will come a long way but you have already had a jump on me. The 2 keys I found that have helped my tank out the fastest would be a better light like a good T5 and some root tabs.

Great start by the way. Can't wait to see this progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #094
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Really nice start to your tank. Had a similar start, but not as nice. Cant tell from the pic, but if you have the rhyzome of the java fern below your substrate, the fern will eventually die. Best to attache to driftwood or pull it up enough were just the roots are burried.

You can check out my tank journal in my sig and see how mine has progressed. It takes time and yours will come a long way but you have already had a jump on me. The 2 keys I found that have helped my tank out the fastest would be a better light like a good T5 and some root tabs.

Great start by the way. Can't wait to see this progress.
The java fern just has it's roots buried. The rhyzome is just hidden behind the driftwood cause I find it looks funny :p thanks for the tips! Your tank looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode