My 30G obsession (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 30G obsession (56K)

I just found this pic and it's what my tank originally looked like in May when I first set it up. Hard to believe the difference, bio wheel filter and all.
Click image for larger version

Name:	30G Tank original incarnation.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	4612

I let it grow out, changed the substrate (took the sand off the top) and removed the HOB filter and replaced it with a cannister.

So, here is the second incarnation. F305 cannister, diy CO2, diy hood w/ 4x T-8. 2 @ 6700K x 25 Watt, 2 @ 10,000K x 30 Watt. BBA was cleaning my clock so I upgraded to automated pressurized CO2. Here's the before.

I started trimming yesterday and went to PetSmart. Bought a few plants. Was just gonna add some and trim back the Wisteria that w/ the Amazon Sward was taking over, but TADAAAAAAA.........

Total makeover. Here are some more views....
FTV

Left

Right

Now, the Glasso carpet should fill in on the left pretty nicely. I'd like to get my hands on some dwarf hairgrass for the foreground on the right. Any sugestions are welcomed. I'm EI dosing w/ plantex micros and 50% w/c per week. I've been keeping fish for years but this is my first attempt in the planted realm. Brand new as of like May so any ideas or suggestions are welcome!!!!

Oh yeah, how the heck do you get pics to show up on the post rather then a link? I click insert image and cut and paste the web address from photobucket and only get a link on the screen.........lol

Figured it out............
________
perfect tits Cams

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need to put IMG tags around your text like so:

[IMG] image text (what shows in your current link) [/IMG]

but without spaces.

You should be able to copy it allready just like this from photobucket. Its below each thumbnail, or displayed on the left once you select a pic. Quote my post so you can see what I posted if you dont understand my ramblings

Landon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So here's a 2 week update. Added some wood, attached Java Fern to it, added some Hornwart, Combobia, and a few Corkscrew Vals for a little variety and 2 weeks worth of growth. Also slid my Sward back to add some depth in the middle. Fighting with Algae a little but all in all, I think things are coming along pretty well. Glasso's starting to fill in pretty well too.
FTV

Left

Right

________
Laguna Bay II Condominium Prathumnak

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:48 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Algae fight seems to be settling down due to stopping ferts (for now cuz my water level were through the roof!), a 50% w/c, and addition of the extra plants. We'll see how things turn out. I'm thinking EI dosing is not quite as easy and I had hoped. Might have to modify and monitor w/ test kits to see what my tank actually needs to develop a dosing regimen. I'll keep you posted!
________
Bubbler pipe

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:49 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

10-13-07

And another 2 weeks of pruning, moving, tweaking, preening, ect........

FTV

3/4 for the overall experience

A splash of color

And a touch of pearl

It would appear that I'm creating this journal for posterity as I don't seem to be getting much traffic. That's OK I suppose cuz it helps to keep my spirits up to go back and look at the progression of my plants. Am considering switching to ADA ASA as soon as I can save up the coinage. I think that might help. I have a 29G that's not being used so I've tossed arround the idea of moving everthing to it to allow more vertical plant growth although I'll loose some real estate. I'm also modifying EI to suite my conditions. My Nitrates are consistently at 20+ even without KNO3 and my Phosphates are consistently through the roof, 4+ without KH2PO4, probably due to my stocking levels even with light feeding........... So, I calculated the ppm rise in Potassium w/ EI combined KNO3 and K2SO4 and deduced that if I dose 1/3 tsp 3x a week of K2SO4 that I'll be dosing the same amount of Potassium. I've also ordered some GH booster from Rex as well as a DC. The goal is to get rid of the green hair algae and I've tried everything else. I'll keep you posted. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
________
SEXYSAYMONS live

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks good-keep it up!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Doing good so far......Do you have good water movement flow throughout the tank? From the looks of it it 'seem' you might need a LGPH powerhead to get some movement going. The stuff on the plants in pic 4 is usually an indication of not enough water movement so stuff settles on the leaves...I might be wrong but it kinda looks that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good eye. I think most of it is remnant from one of the 3 massive BBA outbreaks I fought through. Eventually, I'm going to pull the lot and re-plant the clean tips but want them to grow out more b4 I do. Probably not till I get the ADA ASA and do all of that at once. That area is however the slowest area for water movement. I may try to change things up a touch and see what happens. Maybe buy some new hoses and put my spray bar on an end so the whole tank gets circulation.

Thanks!
________
LIVE SEX

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdon1md View Post
Good eye. I think most of it is remnant from one of the 3 massive BBA outbreaks I fought through. Eventually, I'm going to pull the lot and re-plant the clean tips but want them to grow out more b4 I do. Probably not till I get the ADA ASA and do all of that at once. That area is however the slowest area for water movement. I may try to change things up a touch and see what happens. Maybe buy some new hoses and put my spray bar on an end so the whole tank gets circulation.

Thanks!
That might just help even combat that hair situation you are facing now too

The Junkie
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a definate possibility, although the GHA seems to be spread evenly through out the tank but definately appreciate the tip!!! I'll give it a shot. Certainly can't hurt!
________
Live Sex

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's an update. I removed the Amazon Sword and added some moss and tied some propagated Java Ferns to the driftwood. Also moved some stuff around. Seems to be coming along but still not where I'd like it to be.

And whatever this plant is, I just can't seem to get it to grow. The leaves are crumbling and shriveling up. Look like CRAP. I'm almost to the point of pulling it and throwing it in the trash! I don't even know for sure what it is!!!

But this stuff (whatever it is) is growing like the weed it is!!!! Wow, it's really come around. Thought the BBA outbreak I fought had totally killed it but it keeps branching out with awesome looking stems. I've propagated a few of them where the Sword used to be and they're doin great!

So there's the update. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
________
The Cliff Condominiums Pattaya

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I think the red plant is ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII. Take a look here for some more info http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...=Alternanthera
The second one looks like rotala rotundifolia. The rotala does tend to grow fast, so I'm sure it will recover fully in no time. Nice progress!

Mike

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Mike. The link you provided really helped but didn't speak to what deficiencies I might be facing if the leaves are shriveled and amost look "burnt". Any ideas?
________
Washington medical marijuana

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:22 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Man, I can't believe I didn't see this thread. I could tell from the very first shot that it wasn't all that bad placement wise, your plants just weren't growing. Once they did you really tightened things up! That corner shot really shows how much depth is in the layout. Nice work

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, thanks! I'm stunned. To me it's just my "needs lotsa work, rough around the edges, trial and error," planted tank. Thanks for the encouragement!
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode