Some 30gl history (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Some 30gl history (56k)

This is the first tank I ever truly planted, I toyed with scaping from the start but mainly learned to grow plants in it. It was originally intended to end up all SA, but I've been collecting and propagating freebie scraps that come from all over the globe. Here's some progression from the first week I became aware of the potential of planted tanks.

In the beginning, various plastique species in there, had just added a 96w coralife aqualight, bubble wall still running, no CO2 or ferts. Thought I was a real plant guru because I had seven live plants here and there Live growth ended up scraggly and covered with algae as usual, replacement was my accepted method of plant keeping for years up to this point.

This is the point of me stumbling upon internet info. Removed the bubble wall and plastic plants, changed to sand, added my first plant order, found some real driftwood and added DIY CO2. Started Flourish and Excel doses.

Gradual transition to preserve my most important occupants, the biofilter. In hindsight I would've done it all at once and stuffed the tank with plants.

Weeks later.

Found out that Seachem stuff and CO2 really works, grows angelfish pretty well, too.

Shortly after that last pic, I met our friend BBA. I added pressurized CO2 and started guestimatively dry dosing NPK. The visual remained virtually the same or some random variation for a while as I learned to dose and propagate.

Second plant order, all from PT and APC members, for stocking other tanks. Just a mess of acclimating plants, around 22 species IIRC.

Time passed, plants grew, some were added, some were moved out, some died off, etc etc, until we finally make it to the current state of the tank. For the last few months I've been making a conscious effort to play the plants off each other as I move things around. I think once the HZ fills back into a bush on each end and I sort out the other messy details, this will be a more solid scape in time, I actually have more motivated scaping plans for it now, with a visual in mind somewhere between wild and dutch style.

Thanks for looking. Thanks to all the members who sculpted my progress with plants and posts. -J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jaidexl; 12-13-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fixed image link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
MOST EXCELENT 30! Wanna trade!? I promise to do all the grunt work...... lol!
________
Web shows

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Haha, actually, I'm always up for a new challenge Too bad you're not down the street! Although, I think I'd get the upper hand in the trade after looking at your equipment. Yours is too new to compare anyway, come back after two years of learning and changing things and we'll see if you still want to trade it then.

Thanks for the compliment. -J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
That last one is awesome! I like how the wood makes a cave.

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:46 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice progression. Beautiful, Koi Angel.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Knuggs & Ohio

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:42 AM

Beautiful tank. Wow the progress from the first picture to the last is amazing.

Thanks for sharing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Your tank has made a beautiful transition! Its lovely!

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you both for looking

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 06:42 AM

I agree, nice job! Hopefully mine will look like that one day.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i don't know how i missed this thread, but i must say that i like the last one.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, guys!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode