20 Long College Planted Journey! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
Cool 20 Long College Planted Journey!

Okay, my journey now starts to my project of a 20 gallon long high tech planted tank with fish. I currently have a 55 gallon planted tank, but am converting it to a Cichlid tank very soon. I have the 55 in my room and I am wanting the 20 long in my room also. Not much room for a bigger tank. Currently being in College, things are happening at a slow pace with the tank but I'm alright with it. Gives me something to do.

MORE PICS BELOW ON SECOND PAGE AS YOU SCROLL!

Bought a 29 gallon for $15 thinking I would like it, but I still wanted a 20 long so I am getting one today.
Tank: 20 gallon long
Lighting: 30" Finnex Fugeray with moonlights.
Filter: HOB Whisper 20-Will add power head also.
Co2 System: DIY Paintball Co2 System. Bought bubble checker, Co2 Diffuser, co2 drop checker.
Eco-Complete mixed with Fluorite black (all they had at the time)
Homemade Stand

Pictures of progress:
1/11/14

1/13/14

New Filter!

Unboxing!

1/1/14
Put in the new Stand I built!

Finally got my Co2 Tank filled and installed my DIY Paintball Co2

Also added some new plants! Some Star grass and Telanthera Cardinalis

Will add more pics soon! More coming in slowly! Going to carpet with DHG very soon by the end of this week. Also have some ferts coming in from NicolG! Excited!

DHG Came in.

1/23/14

1/24/14 More DHG came in! Even more to come next week, also some rotala and limnophila aromatica coming in next week too!
Put Danios in there to help the Tetrasafe cycle the tank. I'm pretty sure it is cycled by now though. Will be adding my Harlequin Rasboras in probably by mid next week to make sure everything is okay!

MORE PICS BELOW ON SECOND PAGE AS YOU SCROLL!

Last edited by wade0328; 01-29-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: New link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade0328 View Post
Dirting the tank: I plan on using some Eco-Complete possibly, any suggestions on better substrate for my purpose?.

Capping the tank: Haven't decided on some black diamond blasting sand, or black gravel.. Not sure yet. Trying to keep the cost down on the gravel as Black diamond blasting sand is 8 bucks for 50 lbs. Any suggestions?

Co2 System: I've never did Co2 before, what do you guys recommend for a 20 gallon long tank? I'm going for something cheap but efficient for a 20 long. I have a place that fills Co2 paintball tanks as I used to do paintball. I could get a paintball Co2 tank for cheap. What other parts would I need?
As far as substrate, I did black eco-complete capped with black blasting grit in both my 40B and 20L (both are high tech)...I've been happy with it so far, it doesn't take much washing before and it's heavy enough to now cloud your tank when moving plants around. The only flaw is that the blasting grit doesn't stay a dark black, especially with a bright light on it. It's not that bad though, so to me the price of the blasting grit still justifies using it.

As far as CO2, a paintball CO2 setup would probably work pretty well, you'd just need the tank, a decent regulator, and a needle valve. A solenoid, drop checker and bubble counter are definitely very helpful. You'll also need a way to diffuse the CO2 into the tank, a glass in tank diffuser is by far the cheapest, but also the least efficient. If you intend to use a canister filter you can look into CO2 reactors and inline diffusers.

Hope that helps! Definitely try take advantage of the search function on this forum!

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, thanks so much for the tips! Yeah, I will try to use the search more often :P

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post
As far as substrate, I did black eco-complete capped with black blasting grit
that is sort of pointless. eco-complete doesn't requiring capping, and due to the grit's smaller size it will eventually end up under the eco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
that is sort of pointless. eco-complete doesn't requiring capping, and due to the grit's smaller size it will eventually end up under the eco.
You're right, it eventually does get mixed up with the eco-complete. I honestly did it more for sand look, plus I enjoy keeping cory cats which prefer the smaller particles...by all means it is not necessary for plant growth, more personal preference over anything.

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Will eco-complete float around alot if messed with?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade0328 View Post
Will eco-complete float around alot if messed with?
I have eco-complete in both my 5.5 and my 10. They will not float around even if messed with. Any that floats is usually from adding the eco-complete in the beginning.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well that sounds good, I probably will not even cap it. Unless I just want some depth. You think 1 bag of Eco-Complete in a 20 long will be good?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would recommend two bags at least. I setup a 20 gallon long with a little bag and it barely had the depth to initially place the plants. I eventually added another bag. If you want slopes or anything you will probably need more.

Check out Petco online right now it is super cheap and three bags should give you free shipping.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
The light you linked to is actinic which isn't necessary for freshwater planted, in fact I don't think it benefits the tank at all except for trying to view nocturnal fish. That light is also only 24" which is 6" short light wise and may affect a "high tech" setup.

I am cycling a new 20 long myself but it will be low tech and unheated (or am hoping I can get away with no heat). The LED fixture I wanted is not in stock (Beamswork 6500k 30" light that runs around $50). So for now (and I may just stick with this) I am using 3 clamp lights called brooder lamps with 13watt 6500k CFL bulbs. The light coverage is excellent and if I need to up the light intensity it is an easy and cheap bulb swap. I think I have about $30ish into the 3 lamps and a 3 pack of bulbs. You will need something hang them from or a glass top. I set mine directly on the glass top, they put out very little heat so no worries there.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update on the tank: I have been buying all of my equipment. Just bought a 30" Finnex Fugeray. I have bought all of my equipment for my DIY paintball Co2 injection. Waiting on a few parts to come in. Bought bubble counter, drop checker, and diffuser. Haven't bought soil yet but will update when I have everything completely. Will post plenty of pictures in the 1st thread from beginning to end, will probably even video it to help others who are learning.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATE: Just got the 20 long. Put Fluorite black and eco complete black in there just because that's all they had in stock. I have everything except for my Co2 tank and heater left to get. Here is the current verrry rough hardscape, obviously need to get more rocks.

Pics:

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATE: Filter has came in. Tetra Whisper 20, really quiet filter! 30" FugeRay has came in also! Pics in the original post!!

Last edited by wade0328; 01-14-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update! Got my new stand built and put in my paintball Co2, also planted a few other plants!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATED: More DHG Came in! No input from others?

Last edited by wade0328; 01-25-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode