105 Gallon Log w/ background hardscape. 56K WARNING! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
105 Gallon Log w/ background hardscape. 56K WARNING!

This is my first planted tank, so here it is:

its a bad picture. I removed two of the clover plants, I'm not sure what they're called. I also removed the watersprite and replaced it with RED cabomba. I also trimmed the cabomba and added red cabomba in front of it. I've also added more baby tears to the bottom. Ill post a picture soon.

Last edited by territhemayor; 09-19-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It looks ALOT better now, I've added alot more greenery and im growing some riccia in the back and ive bought more glosso.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
I like the sand in the middle, reminds me of a spill way on a large resevoir. Not so hot about the diffrent kinds of rocks on the background. Looks good though!

What lighting do you have?

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice work.
Nice background.
Nice set up.

More plants required!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Nice! What are the dimensions of the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

updated image.

I have PC lights. 2.6 wpg. What I've done is I've removed the patch of glosso and replaced it with some I bought. The patch was overrun and infested with bladderwort. I also bought these fish:
20 rummy nose tetras. 5 have died due to stress.
15 black rasboras. Very healthy and happy. Also very rare apparently, from germany.
10 more neon tetras, 13 total.
5 more otocincles, I should have 7 now.

So In total I have:
13 neon tetras.
15 rummy noses
15 black rasboras.
5 otocincles
1 busynose pleco
28 amano shrimp
4 columbian tetras (My first fish ever )
6 sterbai's cories.
2 skun loaches.

I am expecting to raise the number of rummy noses to 22 total. I will be removing the neon tetras once my other tank is set up, and possibly the black rasboras, however they are quickly becoming my favorite fish, if only I could buy more, I cleared my LFS out.
After that, in a year or so, I'll buy some discus. I'll also be getting some nice rams soon, 5 i think.

I've taken out the watersprite and added red cabomba, as I may have told you. So the foliage is:
2 mid range red plants which I dont know the names of. I'll post a pic too.
a bunch of these guys, Also dont know the name.

Also these guys:
Water Primrose (Ludwigia palustris)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...palustris.html
Heres a pic of mine:

I've also got glosso, baby tears, cabomba and red cabomba, and this guy I dont know the name of.

ANd i've got some riccia growing in the black attached to stones.

I think thats all.... If any of you guys know the names of the ones I dont, I'd love to know.

Thanks a ton.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
The first plant is, I believe Ludwigia ovalis(is that the right name). The second is looks like Ludwigia palustris. The last is Brazilian Pennywort.

The tank looks great. The background looks nice but I think it would look better with just one type of rock. As long as you are pleased with it then thats all that matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Pretty tank! How did you do the background?

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

MY pal did the background, he used a black silicon epoxy I think, I'm in the process of scraping the paint on the sides to perfectly match the outline of the rocks. I'm using flourite red, but its so dusty i freaking hate it.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingnerd607 View Post
What lighting do you have?
I have PC ligthing, 2.6 WPG. I am thinking of buying a better system, but I dont know ANYTHING about lighting.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to unix2k Send a message via MSN to unix2k Send a message via Yahoo to unix2k
Thats one awesome tank. Its a perfect scenery.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks I've had some more deaths too.
One neon died.
I've had a total of SEVEN rummynoses die due to stress
and one oto.
LUCKILY none of my black rasboras have died, whom are by far my most important fish. My LFS gets them in like twice a year and they go REALLY fast. They got a shipment in two days ago, and yesterday I picked up every single one. lol.
I've also ordered 9 more neon tetras. I got 4 black neon tetras and 5 gold neon tetras. DOing that is my favorite, having multiple varieties of the same basic fish. Thats what I'm really interested in. I think it adds a sense of rarity to the fish, basically what I have with my black rasboras. They are my favorite fish I think. If my LFS has them, I'm picking up all they have.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm setting up a second tank soon, I hope it cycles quickly tho :\
This tank has way to many fish in it, I'm holding almost 100 in there, I feel like its dangerous. What do you guys think? They are all small fish, the biggest being rummy noses, but im definatly scared. I'm setting up this tank to take as many off as possible. thanks.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some new fish and some tripods!
I got these new fish:
2 columbian tetras.
It's fun to see these little tiny guys next to the ones I've had for two years, they are about a quarter or a third of the size
heres the big tetras and the small tetra.

I also got 4 gold neon tetras and 5 black ones. They're interesting fisih. The gold ones are practically like albino, except with the blue streak. The black ones I haven't had a good look at but heres a pretty blurry picture.
and heres a white one.

I really like these fish, they school together just like neons, so you could have a black AND white school, kinda like ying and yang. Cool right? You can get them on live aquaria.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=898
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1582
They are white, not "gold", the picture LIES! and the black one is darker than you think. The black line is really distinguished and they have a distinct color eye, really stands out. I forget which color though.
Heres a picture of the whole tank.

Thanks. I dont have 100 fish btw, so many rummy noses died , I've only got like 7 or 8 left of 20 So in total i think I have 70. in 110 gallons, thats pushing it a little I think, but I think im okay.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Neat tank! I like the hardscaped background idea ...

What are your water parameters? Is this tank cycled or are you relying on the plants to take care of the initial ammonia spike? Sorry for all the initial losses ... It will get better ...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode