46gal. high-light bowfront discus tank (56K!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Erk

PTrader: (25/100%)
46gal. high-light bowfront discus tank (56K!)

Im a new member on here, and mostly been hanging out in swap and shop, cause Im gonna be starting a 3 gal. nano soon...thanks to Chaz

Anyways....in my main display tank at home, Ive been tending to some fish health issues for a lil while here lately, but I think things are under control now. CO2 has been off for a while, im only using the 1x96watt 6700k CF, for 10hours a day, and I never really had decent plant growth in the past

Ive been debating getting rid of the fish, or going bare bottom, as I realize trying to do both plants and discus in a small tank like this isnt gonna work out so well

Im going to give things one last try in this small (46gal) tank, before I really consider selling the fish. Im ready to turn co2 back on as soon as my rhinox2000 arrives, and get back to this slowly....so I thought I would try to start a "journal" so the masters can help a poor discouraged newbie...thats not so "new" anymore, but very discouraged ATM

Tank looks like crap right now, but I will get some pics up soon

Thanks

Last edited by Erk; 06-10-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: New thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Erk

So here are some pics....the rhinox still didnt arrive yet. Airstone is still on, until it arrives, just for the fish. Temp is about 87 again, cause of the meds over the past two weeks.

I have some algae on the back wall, and down in my glosso and some green crap that has been around for a while! Dunno how to get rid of it

Nothing really on the plants tho....still using one CF as stated....no ferts in a while

I did a big water change last night, and cleaned all the filters....I took some plants out due to meds, and have them in my moms tank, so I will get them back shortly, and in much better shape then they were

Thanks for all your help in advance
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
lovely discus!

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Thanks Subotaj

Unfortunately, they are still flashing, and Im very frustrated with them. Im either going to have to go bare bottom, or sell them..I think
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
The tank does not look bad. I like seeing a solid colored background instead of a decorative background. This way, the plants and tank decor do not get "lost" in the background.

Also, you can have plants and discus in the same tank with no problems. Many people here do. The only thing is, your 45 gallon is kind of small for 4 discus. I would be concerned for the Blue turq hiding in the back. This is usually a sign that something is wrong with it.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Thanks crazie.eddie...I used to have a blue background that was dark blue at the bottom, and faded to light blue at the top, but I wanted to try a rocky background, but I do see what you're saying as far as the plants getting "lost"

I have owned these discus since the end of March, and as you can see...the plants arent doing so well..I feel I sacrifice the plants for the fish, which is the way to go, but whenever I try to grow the plants, the fish get sick, and I have to back off everything. I know my tank is small, and thats a shame, but I will be a father in December, and I cant afford a new tank.

The blue turk has always been the most shy of the group...he comes out to feed, and seems ok for the most part, but the small pigeon and the ocean green always pick on him, and chase him around. The big pigeon seems to "defend" him for the most part.

Again, I just finished a 14 day Ich Treatment on sunday, and Im hoping everyone is ok now...but I just dont know, and I really dunno how to proceed from here

Thanks again very much for your input
Eric
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

More plants might get rid of 'that green stuff'...suck up more nutrients. But I would probably hold off for a little bit until your fish get off the meds.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Thanks narhay I do have more plants, I just have them in a tank at my moms, since they like co2, and I cant have mine on during treatment. Today is one week since I finished up treatment...temp is still up, airstone is on, co2 is off.....the rhinox2000 still hasnt arrived, so co2 wont be going on until it does.

They seem to be doing well, swimming top to mid level, always coming to the front when I go near the tank, and they eat like pigs again...so im not going to rush anything.

I think I will do my water change today, like normal (wed. and sat.) and just move some plants around, and work on getting some dead plant matter out

Thanks again for your advice
Eric
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Got a few more pics taken after I did my normal water change yesterday, and I moved some things around....still have plants in my mothers tank, co2 is off.

The old background has been put back on....shows the algae off on back wall a good bit better, but Im please with the amount of algae I have at the moment...given the circumstances. I dropped the temp down a tad..its holding about 85

Suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Erk

BREAKTHROUGH!! It seems as tho my big pigeon is doing "runs" up the side glass wall...trying to lay eggs maybe! If she is willing to do that...then I feel much about the state of my tank ATM!

I will try to get some pics tonight after work!!

Thanks everyone!
Eric
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Erk

Updated tank parameters are:

pH=7.0
ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0 (this is a first for me! and prolly why they acted like they wanted to spawn last night....nothing tonight )
kH=3
gH=4
phosphate=1.0 (the lowest Ive ever seen this)

Again..I havent dosed any ferts in a while due to meds

I guess I should start to get back to it? Im still waiting on my rhinox2000 to arrive...can I dose macros without co2? Or should I wait? I can add excel as well? Been done with meds for about a week and half now

Thanks!
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Got some new plants from Minsc last night...so I have some more pics Still have plants in my mothers tank I have to get back shortly

Both pigeons in "their" corner

My poor turk about to get beat on

Now he is running and hiding...like usual

I dont really know how to plant HM so it forms a nice "bush"??

Suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks!
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Erk

Also, I dosed 1/2 KNO3, 1/8 KH2PO4, and 1/8 K2SO4 last night after my water change....still no co2 going in, but with nitrates at 0 and phosphate at 1, I figured it wouldnt hurt.

I will prolly dose some excel when I get home today and maybe my CSM+B...next water change on saturday, so the ferts that dont get used shouldnt hang around for very long

Thanks
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM

I love those discus. nice tank so far I'd like to see some tall background plants fill the back of your tank.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
WHOA DUDE! Did you say you were treating for Ick? Ich can't survive in water that's over 80 degrees and your discus need 84! What's going on over there?

You won't have to sacrafice discus or plants, you can do them both together. You may not be able to grow every plant species you want, but 90% of them will do fine. Lets see if we can get to the bottom of this.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode