My high-light 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
My high-light 10 gallon

This is my first planted tank, in its second incarnation. It is about 3 weeks old in this pic. I initially had some bacopa in there that just rotted away at the stalk, and it caused me to have to redo everything at the 1 week mark. I found out later the fish store just had a bad batch at that time, so it wasn't my fault after all! But anyway, this is the second incarnation, and I feel it is looking fine!

I have two 25w spiral-type CFs in the stock hood, at 6500k each. At 5 wpg I figure I should work on getting some CO2 in there, but for now I just drop a healthy splash of Flourish Excel in there each day, at the beginning of the light cycle. I keep the lights on 12 hours a day, and all seems to be well.

I will be adding to this thread as time goes on. If anyone happens to be reading this, and wishes to comment on my setup, please feel free.

I'm a noob!!

Last edited by Church; 11-23-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dam everyones planted tank beats mine. I just need more plants and some moss!!
However, I finally got my ferts so hopefully we will start to see some recovery.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here's an update... some things have been changed around a bit here. I'm still trying to get the hang of things...

The left side:

The right side:

My camera sucks.

Last edited by Church; 10-05-2007 at 09:16 PM.

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You have a very nice planted tank. Your first planted tank is definately better than my first planted tank!

What's substrate are you using? Which brand of spiral screw in bulb is that?
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ Thank you! It's Eco-complete substrate. The bulbs I'm using are GE Energy Smart Daylight 6500k. It's really ghetto, using the stock incandescent fixture, but I was originally on a budget. Soon enough, I'm getting a Satellite dual-bulb hood to replace it.

Also, I forgot to mention that I recently added the Red Sea C02 generator, so the photosynthesis is kicking up a few gears. It was noticeable only 2 days later!

Last edited by Church; 10-05-2007 at 09:16 PM.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update

So I just upgraded my lighting to the 20" Current USA Dual Satellite fixture. In honor of this, I performed a little rescape, and took some new pictures of the tank. I'm currently only using one half of the lighting fixture, as I didn't have enough money to buy another white-light bulb to replace the dual actinic bulb that came with it. But at any rate, I'm surprised how much brighter and evenly lit the tank is now, even using only half of the available light. I can't wait til next paycheck, so I can get another bulb. I'm wondering... should I get a 10,000k or should I get another 6500/10,000?

At any rate, I'm really starting to love what the aquascape is turning into. I recently had to get rid of the bloodfin tetras, because their nervous energy seemed to freak out my ottos, and truthfully, the ottos are my favorite fish in there. So I decided that this would be a rasbora tank, and got more of them. Anyway, here's the pictures:

First, a full shot.

Next, a closeup of the driftwood and companion crypt.

One of the two bristlenose plecos in there... they fight each other all the time over who gets to own the driftwood.

A few more of the tank and occupants:

I was just experimenting with the lighting on this one, but here's the two plecos right before going at it:

Last edited by Church; 12-21-2007 at 11:00 PM.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try the Current Dual-Daylight, which is 6700K and 10000K.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah that's what I'm using now. The fixture came with one dual daylight, and one dual actinic, and I turned off the dual actinic. I've decided for now to just use the dual daylight... but I've been wondering if, from the viewing standpoint, the tank would look better with another dual daylight, or if I should go with a full 10,000k as my second bulb? Would the tank look better with half 6500, half 10,000... or with 25% 6500 and 75% 10,000? It's hard to know. I remember when I was using straight 6700k spiral fluorescents, everything was a little too yellow for my liking, and so far I'm liking the half and half thing...

Last edited by Church; 12-21-2007 at 11:01 PM.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was bored so I did this, and now I'm posting it here:

Last edited by Church; 12-21-2007 at 08:56 PM.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thumbs up Time for an update!!

Ever since those last pics were taken, I've been battling an ongoing case of green water. It was started off by my digging around the substrate, while also changing out all of my filter media at once (bad idea). Then it was exacerbated by my having to move, and set the tank up at another house. Well, long story short, I eventually got a hold of one of those "Green Killing Machine" submersible UV filters, and two days later, I could see the inhabitants of the tank again! This of course inspired me to perform a good rescape, and this is what I ended up with:

Here is a shot of the right half:

...and the left:

I also added a few inhabitants to the tank, since at the moment of taking these pics, the rasboras were in the quarantine tank. I lost most of them, and am only left with 3. So this tank only had otto's and snails during the gw outbreak. I figure I have to reintroduce fish slowly, in order to keep it under balance. So I bought 7 little glowlight tetras. Here's how cute they are:

I really like where this aquascape is going, I think. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things, even when I experience bad times, like with the green water. But I'm still a noob, and I'm still looking for tips and advice. If anyone is reading this and wants to offer some constructive criticism, I'm all ears.

I'm thinking of adding some didiplis diandra and some hemianthus micranthemoides, for the midground, and I think I want to kind of leave the front left corner as a grassy plain.

The green water is gone for good, though! I've had the UV filter out of there for about 6 days now, and everything is still crystal clear. I'm back in the game, now! Yeehaw!

So, seriously, can anyone offer me any advice on what could strengthen this scape?

post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Beautiful tank, and very fast progression youve made.
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Nice progress. Photos are severely overexposed. Try using the +/- on your camera a few stops.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I really need to get a camera... right now all I have is my cellphone, and it's the best I can do. It's amazing, though, how this hobby is actually inspiring me to get into photography, and finally purchase a quality camera...

...I'm just not there yet.
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
hello Church
you have a great aquascaping skills. i really like how the tank looks. you have done well to keep it low at the front and building higher towards the back. it's a pretty 10 gallon. i agree with the grass field on the left. feels great to have an open space there.

however i think the blyxa at the front right is disturbing. i would also remove those diandra infront of the wood. some moss on the wood would be great too.

some schooling fish in there would be a great view.

cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 AM
Planted Member

you're tank looks great. One tiny thing i have to say about it is i love that piece of driftwood. I feel like you need to give it some more exposure... Under the left side of the driftwood could make a great dark shadowy spot with some plant cover above it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode