14.3g AquaTop EuroStyle Bowfront Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
14.3g AquaTop EuroStyle Bowfront Journal

Hey gang,

after a 5 year hiatus from Aquariums I’ve finally gotten SWMBO’s permission to set up a tank again. The last tanks I had were larger, 65 and 125 gallon tanks with African Malawi cichlids, and their aggression took the fun out of it. So I’m going back to my roots so to speak, back to smaller tanks with more peacefully community fish with lots of plants.

For now I’m starting back small and low-tech, and later this year build another tank for raising some Endlers that will be CO2.

Specs:
Tank: 14.3g TruAqua AquaTop ES-24 Eurostyle Rimless Bowfront
Lighting: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 24”
Filtration: Fluval C3
Heater: AquaTop GH-75W Heater
Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black
Ferts: Flourish Tabs, Flourish, and Flourish Excel
Flora: Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula)
Telanthera Cardinalis (Alternanthera reineckii ‘cardinalis’)
Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana)
Anubias Congensis
Anubias Afzelii
Anubias Nana
Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
Narrow Leaf Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus)
Fauna: Nothing yet, planning on Red Cherry Shrimp, Dwarf Cories, Otos, and Neon Tetras

Started setting it up yesterday afternoon, here are some pics as things went along.

The tank was shipped cross-country via UPS Ground from TruAqua and I had visions of 5 gazillion pieces of glass in the box. However, to TruAqua’s credit, they packed it REALLY well with 3 layers of bubble wrap outside and packing paper inside the tank.

Used some eggcrate to support the driftwood I picked up off ebay that was mounted to some slate tile. Better safe than sorry with this being my first rimless.

Light mounted, tank placed in final place on a table in our family room.

Substrate and driftwood in place.

Added some river rock for variety.

All plants in and flooded.

Closeup of the left side of the tank.

Looking forward to getting some inhabitants for the tank.....

Last edited by fandsw; 12-28-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Woot you are the man in my alabama group who looking for rcs!! Nice to see ya here! Subbed to the journal!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One week update

One week update: Tank fully cycled with Safe Start Plus, parameters were 0/0/20 this morning. Ammonia did go up a hair to 0.25ppm during the cycle for 3 days, but it's now at 0. Nitrates started showing up the second day, so the SafeStart Plus did what it was supposed to.

Now stocked with 20 Neons, 5 Cories, 3 Otos, and 10 RCS, all introduced the first day, with no losses. Not losing a Neon was a pleasant surprise, as I've always lost at least one or two the first day or so in the past. The RCS *LOVE* the right most piece of driftwood, as it hollow from the top. They've turned it into their home base. I've observed 2 of them molting, so that's a good sign as well.

On the plant side I've added some Italian Vals in the back right to fill things in a bit more. Also introduced some HC on the front right. It took forever to get here do to the holidays and late shipping by the seller, so don't know if it will hold. However seeing some growth in some of the plants as well.

Real happy so far with the progress.....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

4 week update

4 week update

After a 14 day battle with ick that cost me 18 neons, 3 cories, 1 oto and 8 RCS shrimp things are finally back to normal. The 85 deg F temps didn't hurt the plants and they've continue to show good growth. I've also restocked 10 more RCS shrimp and 3 more cories. Everyone is doing well now. Actually did my first trimming 3 days ago, cutting and replanting the Bacopa. Added 2 Aponogeton longiplumulosus bulbs to the left side of tank and they absolutely exploded. One was only showing a small 2 inch stem when planted, the other showed nothing. 2 weeks later and you can see the results.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

8 week update

14.3g Bowfront progress report: Tank is up and running now for 2 months, really great plant growth even without CO2. Before and after pic really shows the difference. Only hiccup was a bout of ick about 3 weeks in. Yanked out the Vals as they were looking ratty, moved and spread out the wisteria in the back in it's place. About time for a trim next weekend.

Day 1:

Day 60:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode