My First Attempt at a Professional-Looking Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Attempt at a Professional-Looking Aquascape

Hi everyone, I got a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long for Christmas and I am excited to attempt an iwagumi aquascape. The specs are as follows:

36" Finnex Fugeray Planted Plus
eBay glass inlet and outlet pipes
Eheim 2215 filter with inline heater
1 9L bag of Aqua Soil Amazonia
1 3L bag of Aqua Soil Amazonia powder
Seiryu Rock
HC
Dwarf Hairgrass?
Cardinal Tetras or chili rasboras
amano shrimp?

This is my first attempt at an aquascape. I'm sorta trying to recreate the rocky hills of the Scottish highlands. Tell me what you think.

Last edited by thayes427; 01-03-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I don't like my title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Hardscape looks good! The tricky part is going to be choosing the right plants and arranging them appropriately. For plants, have you thought about utricularia gramnifolia? UG might be a better choice to emulate the Scottish highlands.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice , I will go with UG toooo nice scape . Keep in mind that hill will decrease in 6 month sooo . Good luck with the new set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the replies. I am wondering, why would you choose UG? I feel like it would grow too tall and cover up the hardscape. I changed the right side of the hardscape and I think it might be complete.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Why would the hill decrease in 6 months? UG looks awesome BTW... Also, the setup looks AMAZING. I am subscribing! How do you like the Finnex planted plus?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the compliments. I really like the planted plus. Of course I haven't grown plants under it in this tank yet, but I have one over my dart frog vivarium and the plants are growing well. I think I will actually go with HC because it will add to the scale factor I'm trying to create and I think it won't cove up the hardscape as much as UG would. I hope to be planting and flooding this weekend (too impatient for a dry start and scared about HC rot). I'll keep you posted
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Why would the hill decrease in 6 months? UG looks awesome BTW... Also, the setup looks AMAZING. I am subscribing! How do you like the Finnex planted plus?
You need to place subtrate supports to support the hill you have. (look up greenmachine on youtube)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I've been thinking about that. I have both egg crate that I could cover with window screen mesh and plexiglass. Which do you think I should use? Also, i've decided a dry start is worth it. With the hills, I am wondering if the hc on top of the hills will get enough water. Do you think with enough misting the hc on top of the hill will be moist enough? Thanks.

-Tom

Last edited by thayes427; 01-03-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: I thought of another question
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Elatine hydropiper

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

I love the look of your scape! I'm planning on doing something similar. Where did you get your rock and how much did you buy?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obakemono View Post
You need to place subtrate supports to support the hill you have. (look up greenmachine on youtube)
Obakemono, can you expand on this? For those of us trying to create hills without having 8" of substrate, this would be super helpful.

Thayes, that looks like an excellent setup for seasoned planted tank enthusiasts, let alone a first time attempt
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS_1OO View Post
Obakemono, can you expand on this? For those of us trying to create hills without having 8" of substrate, this would be super helpful.

Thayes, that looks like an excellent setup for seasoned planted tank enthusiasts, let alone a first time attempt
watch this:
http://youtu.be/wZDexLMZFrU?t=11m51s
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
For substrate support you honestly could just go to homedepot and buy those bags of tiny lava rock and use that as a base for where you have the hills and pour the aqua soil over it

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Elatine hydropiper
Personal experience: Great for keeping a short plant, is very short compared to most carpet type.
One drawback: Can NOT live in water with higher temp than 75F. But that is my experience.
I may not have had enough light/ferts etc. Lack of one or more of those could have been the cause
of it dieing.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Algae Grower

Those long and shallow tanks are killer. Nice scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode