New 100gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 100gal

I would like to present my new 100gal layout. It is about to receive its first trim after 4 weeks since setup. Would like critique, ideas and suggestions.

Week 1

Week 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

you've got a great looking carpet there, very nice start to a very nice tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
yea, ditto. great looking glosso. i have NEVER had luck with the stuff. it looks so dead like it wouldn't come back in that first pic, then lively in the second pic. i've planted glosso that's looked better than that and all it did was melt and foul the tank. so how about some specs?

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
where did you get those amazing rocks? They must be huge? Do you know what kind of rock that is?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

Really nice start. I wouldn't mind some details either.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone thanks for the positive comments.

The specs of the tank are as follows

Tank-120x60x60cm

Filtration- Eheim pro III

Lighting- Giessmann 2x150wmH, 2x30wT8 , Halides run 6 hours and T8's run 12 hours.

Co2- Dupla Alpha fitting, aquamedic reactor 1000 running inline on the outlet of the pro3. Co2 runs at 1bps.

Substrate- 1x18L Powersand special, 6.5 (approx) 9L bags Aquasoil amazonia normal type.

Plants include Limnophila aromatica, didiplid diandra, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Micranthemum umbrosum, Rotala sp. green, Ludwigia arcuata, Glosostigma elatinoides, eleocharis acicularis, masilea hirsuata, ranunculus inundatus and nesea pendicillata.

Currently there are approx 50 caridina sp. ? and approx 20 ottocinclus.

The rocks were sourced from a local bonsai nursery. They are Japanese Petrified rock imported from Japan. The largest rock you see was cut in half from about 90cm to the current size of approx 45cm. The others are about 15-25cm and all have about a diameter equalling your hand spread They are awesome to see firsthand.

I beleive the glosso carpet is all about intense light. I have my light unit approx 20cm only above the surface. I have never had problems with this plant.

Thanks guys comments welcomed.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:58 PM

Nice tank, but looks too symmetric too me. i like it more "natural looking".
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

120cm x 60 cm x 60 cm is 48" x 24" x 24", or 120 US gallons.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAMX View Post
The rocks were sourced from a local bonsai nursery. They are Japanese Petrified rock imported from Japan.
I assume you meant to post petrified wood.
they look more like African Pagoda stones.
do you remember what you paid per pound?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Narhay i never worked it out exactly thanks for the correction.

Spypet, no idea just going by what the guy told me, im not a rock/wood expert.

Thanks Subotaj, i like symetrical. Iwagumi style is new to me and this is my first tank using this rock. Of course i aim to improve.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
i'm loving how it looks

and the stones look more like massive ohko (ADA name?) stone. pagoda is more parallel layers. do you mind telling us how much the rocks cost per pound? you've got me curious too they are lovely
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
more likely what ADA calls Shou Stones
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...uct&cPath=7_14
it's a type of sandstone with copper verdigris
for color, and it's shale rip-up clasts eroded.
cost around $4usd/pound before shipping.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Hi all

Thanks Storm_rider, im lovin how it looks to. Its my first time at using stones so im really enjoying the experience.

As i work in kilo's and Australian currency you will have to bear with me lol. I bought 7 x70cm pieces all which had approx 20-30cm diameter for $10 each. I then cut some pieces in half/3rd to get my stones. It would have been about 40-50kg of rock in weight. The nursery had many different types of stones and colors. They were getting some more types from Japan currently so i am due to go up and see the boys.

The rocks look similar to the ones you show Spypet. Not sure about the price though. At that price it would have cost me over $400. That's insane for rock that occurs naturally. I bought twice the amount you see in my tank for what is probably $30 USD and around 100 pounds.

Here is a pic of Half of what i bought.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
more likely what ADA calls Shou Stones
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...uct&cPath=7_14
it's a type of sandstone with copper verdigris
for color, and it's shale rip-up clasts eroded.
cost around $4usd/pound before shipping.

They are not Shou Stone. They look exactly like Ohko Stone. I have Ohko Stone and they look exactly like it. But who cares, they look nice.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
How can you guys tell what kind of stones they are from the pics?

I mean I have read so many different posts were ppl had completely ifferent stones and said they were something, I am just wondering?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode