New Lights, New Plants, 16 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
New Lights, New Plants, 16 Gallon

I recently upgraded my lighting to a Satellite single 40 watt with a 6500/10,000k bulb and I am now able to grow some stems with the lighting increase. I am at 2.5 watts per gallon now, and I wanted to show my tank's new face.
The tank's equipment is
75 watt stealth heater
150 penguin run with with Aquaclear sponges and bio-max
Rio 170 pump

I run pressurized CO2 through a nano glass diffuser at 1 bubble per second

The substrate is plain black gravel that has been in the tank for about 4 years. I plan to upgrade to black Flourite when it becomes available.

My dosing schedule is a daily dosing of 1.5 ml PPS macro solution, 1 ml Flourish, 6 drops Flourish Fe, and 1.5 ml Flourish Excel. I have been running this program for about a month with great growth and no algae.

The flora consists of Hemianthus micranthemoides, Narrow Leaf java fern, 'Windelov' java fern, Ludwigia glandulosa, Rotala rotundifolia, Alternanthera reineckii 'Lilacina', SŁŖwassertang, Flame moss (Taxiphyllum species), Potamogeton gayi, and Hygrophila difformis. I was never able to have a foreground with my old lighting and I am loving my HM foreground.

The fauna includes 11 gold cloud minnows, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 Apistogramma cacatuoides, 2 ottos 3 amano shrimp . My husband likes to name the bigger fish. The bristlenose is called Frank and the apisto's name is Mohawk.

Any comments and critisms are welcome. This tank has been come along way since I got into planted tanks, but its getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 with frank.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	4111  

Name:	Aquariums 094.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	4112  

Name:	Frank.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	4113  

Last edited by General Tso; 08-22-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Looks very nice!

Just one thing.....careful with the HM foreground though, as I've read they will grow vertically...which means more pruning as compared to using HC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
hm foreground

not always true about the hm growing verticle...i had some i put in my 55 (3.5-3.75 wpg) and it immediately took on a horizontal growth... you just have tohave high light to get a nice carpet...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
does your bristlenose uproot plants? i have a couple in a 40 gallon and i'm planning on moving one to the 20long to take care of some temp algae on the glass and anubias.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
No, I haven't seen him uprooting plants. He mainly hangs on his driftwood and comes out to mooch when I feed the other fish. He used to be a fairly decent algae eater, but now he is a fish food hog. I would like to trade him in, but my husband likes him too much. I added the two ottos because of his laziness and they do a great job cleaning the stems.

As soon as I open the top, he magically appears and stares at me with his ugly face waiting for something to hit bottom. I am surprised that he hasn't torn up the HM. I did have to tie the moss and subwassertang down really tight because he kept ripping that up.

As for the HM foreground, I realize that it will need frequent trimming, but I am elated that it grows so well deep in the tank. I used to use 2 20 watt LOA screw in compact fluorescents for lighting and the only thing I could get to grow at the bottom of my tank was java moss and anubias. I don't mind getting my hands wet to trim it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode