Fluval Spec SW Florida native biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec SW Florida native biotope

Hello everyone, tanks been up for a couple weeks and I decided I need to start a journal for it as it seems to change all the time. I had this tank set up previously with my lovely late betta and didn't have much luck with the plants I had in it so now I'm giving it another try. Ever since I was a kid I loved catching little fish and minnows, so I thought why not make a planted tank with what's directly available to me in my backyard? This is my result.

-1 female heterandria formosa.
- roughly ten ghost shrimp.
- couple pond snails.

As for plants as of yet I have:

- azolla caroliniana
- bacopa monnieri
- eleocharis parvula
- pistia stratioes

I have my substrate set up with a layer of organic mix capped with sugar sand. Rocks were collected at the beach, most likely fossils of some kind. The driftwood I'm not sure what kind but I collected it on a kayak/camping trip on a cape outside of Marco Island. I use no heater as they are natives. Lighting is a clip on Finnex 26w.

Been trying to catch a couple more h. Formosa but the last attempt failed. I caught the first one with a lot of gambusia when I visited two different ponds and a ditch so.. I don't exactly recall which she came from. Hopefully I will have a little more luck on future outings.

Sorry for a lackluster beginning photo but it was taken by my phone and was prior to the addition of bacopa. I hope to take some more worthwhile photos soon with my real camera, once I position the plants a little better and visit my moms as she has a computer! Overall I must say I am enjoying this little tank... It is exciting going out not knowing what you're going to discover. And just goes to show you don't have to make a trip to the pet store or spend money on a planted tank, as we have beauty already here!

Current photo (minus bacopa) with crappy phone.

Taken before with my Nikon. It was only a rock bottom so I decided to redo it with a soil bottom for the plants, and the sugar sand cap with arbitrary bits of plant matter is reminiscent of many Florida streams and springs.

And of my lone h. Formosa. I think she is cute nevertheless.

That is all for now. Looking forward and hoping the plants grow in well!

.: Nikon Pimp #074 :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looking really nice, maybe you can find more minnows or pygmy sunfish. Makes me miss FL, I didn't appreciate the aquarium possibilities!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is a really cool idea, I was always in the rivers and ponds as a kid too! Aesthetic scape too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode