Brasky's 40g Breeder Journal (Updated 9/18) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Brasky's 40g Breeder Journal (Updated 9/18)

Hello all, Brasky here... I'm a relative newcomer to this absolutely wonderful hobby (as my first tank shows) but I hope to redeem myself with my next one!

A member on another forum graciously helped me out with all my questions, suggested startup plants and all the equipment necessary. I give most, if not all of my credit to him.

Firstly, I guess I should list the specifications.
AGA 40g Breeder - done!
DIMyself Stand - $48 odd dollars worth of plywood, 2x6, and 2x4. - done!
4 bags of Eco-Complete - done!
Filstar RENA XP2 - done!
5lb CO2 with Rexulator - yet to be ordered!
Current Nova Extreme High Output T5 Fixture-36" (156w) - yet to be ordered!
2x Giesemann PowerChrome Midday 6000K (to replace the actinics in the Nova) - yet to be ordered!

Plants, for now, will be...
-Alternanthera Reineckii
-Blyxa Japonica
-Water Sprite

The rock came from my buddies' dads' old tank from... about 20 years ago.

Fish and shrimp will come later once I'm all cycled. I'm thinking either Amanos or RCS. Most likely plenty of pond snails as well... Fish will likely be a lot of Cardinal Tetras... maybe more

I got my hardscape and EC put in last night and filled it for some leak checking... so far nothing!

Pictures are next I suppose! Don't mind the camera phone, I sold my Nikon D70 a while ago (Oh, forgive my messy room, it's not usually this bad )

Setup at the end of my bed...

Filled with water. Water is kinda clear, still waiting on the filter...

The Blyxa will go in the right side, the AR will sit on the left side and the sprite will be in the middle-ish. I can't wait to get everything finally in! Look back in a few days for my filter to get here...

Last edited by Bill Brasky; 09-19-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
great start! cant wait to see the finished product, good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
- excellent choice for a tank. If the 40g long I'm using now weren't free (friend's abandoned tank), 40breeder was my first choice.
- great choice for substrate. Try a black background on the tank and you'll be amazed on how the colors of the plants and fish will stand out. Of course if you don't like it you can just take off the background
- I admire people with woodworking skills, how I wish I had the time, tools, space/place, and patience for this.

As for your light, 156W is sure a lot of wattage, I'm guessing this is a 4x39W.
- Does the bulbs come with separate parabolic reflectors? If not, you may want to look into DIYing this so as to get as much light from the bulbs into the tank and not wasted on restrike with the neighboring bulbs.
- How many power cords does it have? If it has 2 power cords (each cord powering 2 bulbs), you can run them on separate timers, 2 bulbs on throughout the photoperiod, the other only on for a few hours in the middle of the photoperiod (something like a mid-day blast). If there is only one power cord, you might be able to DIY it into 2 separate (not sure, I believe it depends on the fixture's wiring) cords.
....or just run all on throughout the photoperiod....but remember, more light means more CO2 and ferts needed to maximize plant growth and minimize algae madness.

I'm sure everyone will tell you to stock it up with as much fast growing stem plants from the get-go to minimize the initial algae blooms, and then just slowly replace them with the plants that you want.

Oh, if your tank is that close to the bed, expect your bed to get wet several times....and you might want to be careful with non-sleep activities with the bed, specifically those that involve movement that might cause water from your tank to splash out

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
- excellent choice for a tank. If the 40g long I'm using now weren't free (friend's abandoned tank), 40breeder was my first choice.
- great choice for substrate. Try a black background on the tank and you'll be amazed on how the colors of the plants and fish will stand out. Of course if you don't like it you can just take off the background
- I admire people with woodworking skills, how I wish I had the time, tools, space/place, and patience for this.

As for your light, 156W is sure a lot of wattage, I'm guessing this is a 4x39W.
- Does the bulbs come with separate parabolic reflectors? If not, you may want to look into DIYing this so as to get as much light from the bulbs into the tank and not wasted on restrike with the neighboring bulbs.
- How many power cords does it have? If it has 2 power cords (each cord powering 2 bulbs), you can run them on separate timers, 2 bulbs on throughout the photoperiod, the other only on for a few hours in the middle of the photoperiod (something like a mid-day blast). If there is only one power cord, you might be able to DIY it into 2 separate (not sure, I believe it depends on the fixture's wiring) cords.
....or just run all on throughout the photoperiod....but remember, more light means more CO2 and ferts needed to maximize plant growth and minimize algae madness.

I'm sure everyone will tell you to stock it up with as much fast growing stem plants from the get-go to minimize the initial algae blooms, and then just slowly replace them with the plants that you want.

Oh, if your tank is that close to the bed, expect your bed to get wet several times....and you might want to be careful with non-sleep activities with the bed, specifically those that involve movement that might cause water from your tank to splash out
It's far enough from the edge of the bed so that there won't be any "issues"

You're correct on the 4x39. It does have 2 cords so that's a nice bonus. As for the individual reflectors, I do not know. All the descriptions say "A German Parabolic Reflector..."

As for the substrate, it really is amazing. Planting in this is going to be so much easier than pea gravel. Plus, it's about 5 inches deep at it's deepest part. I can't wait to get some nice lookin plants in here!

edit: whoops, forgot one thing! I'll be using Rex's dry ferts with EI dosing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I like the Japanese "Engrish" phrasing on the title.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!

I got my XP2 in yesterday, set it up (easiest part of building this tank!) and got my plants in. I've been floating an old filter from my other tank in the water and the cycle is near finished already...

Speaking of the filter... wow. I don't know where people get off saying it's loud at all! Whisper quiet, VERY easy to set up, awesome construction quality... I could go on. My only regret is that I didn't order the XP3 for 10 bucks more I can see how having that extra basket helps in filtration.

It's all set up minus some more Water Sprite and Alternanthera reinekii I've yet to stick in but it's looking beautiful!

I'm borrowing my 96w CF light from my other tank for now... don't really have med-high light plants in that one anyways!

Sadly, I can't get my camera phone to transfer my photos over We'll have to wait till my buddy brings his Rebel XT over.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, forgive the Macbook webcam, but the lazy friend is taking his time...

I'm waiting on some more Alternanthera to fill in between the Blyxa and Water Sprite and on the hill a bit. Blyxa has grown quite a bit without any co2 or ferts already. A bunch of new shoots on the Sprite but the Alternanthera is looking a little yucky... we'll see how it goes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update! It's been a while, but I figured I'd post some new pictures. Forgive me if the old one's aren't up.

I got some new plants from a member here along with some more rummynose tetras. I've got 10 of them and am waiting a few more weeks (should I?) before I put 12 cardinal tetras in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode