It's been a year since I started my first hi-tech planted tank, so I thought I'd start a photo thread and hopefully get some useful critiques, advice now that I feel like I have a handle on the basics.
Here's the tank a year ago, with about 2 month's growth.
And here's the tank today. This is after a move to a new house with many plants culled and a re-scape. Back to square 1, in a way.
It's an basically an Amazonians community tank. High lights (3.5wpg), pressurized CO2, but I'm lazy on the PMDD and water changes, so I keep making an algae battle for myself
7 large diamond tetras (centerpiece)
3 German Blue rams
9 Red-eye tetras
1 Peckoltia pleco
1 Farlowella cat
12 Amanos (new)
- The huge Swords, which are actually children of the original swords in the first picture. The one now anchored to the top of the left stump grew there on its own and shaded out its mother.
- I think a Crypt of some kind, which is small in the bottom center of the old pic and big on the left corner of the new pic. Now sending out runners. One of my small successes
- The Pennywort, which grew like a weed all over the old pic, but I cut back to a few stems in the new pic.
- The Riccia mats, in progress.
- 2 Anubias nana, anchored to the stumps (new)
Stuff that's gone from the old tank: Rotala, which got shaded out by the Pennywort, a small clipping of that plant lives on in the Apisto fry tank. The hairgrass which met a similar fate. The micro swords, which were constantly eaten, by the pleco I think.
I'm just beginning to know enough to critique my own work. I need to ditch the pea gravel substrate for something better, but that will take some serious motivation. The 2 driftwood stumps are rather dominating, as are the swords -- it would be nice to have something more to scale, to make the tank feel bigger instead of claustrophobic.
I'd to love to hear advice, critiques, and words of support.