Rodneys *original* scape (56k= [insert clever remark here] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rodneys *original* scape (56k= [insert clever remark here]

Well my algea problems are gone and my water has finally cleared up so I figured I would start *another* journal. In this thread I hope to try to make an aquarium with ideas and a style I can call my own.(no ada knock-offs).

I suppose I should let you all know what my aquarium has been going through so.. algea of every kind , cloudy and green water and plenty of black-outs. Through the whole experience I have developed a better appreciation for an clean, algee-free aquarium. I had to drive 8 hours to get my kuhli loaches and a quality (no petsmart or petco die after two hours and is not used to eating crap) oto. I also recived a nice portion of un I.D'ed awsome moss
This is going to be a slow-going thread with updates every weekend. This is not going to be one of those " I wish I were japanese" tanks and im not going to pretend I am either, Im an American I don't think it gives us a good name when we talk about all this "zen" crap when it has nothing to do with our culture.

So..

Specs:
all glass aquarium (nothing fancy)
40 watt sattilite whatever deal
diy co2
a heater...
1 20lb bag of eco complete

Fauna:
3 kuhli loaches (love em)
1 oto
and 3 sparkling gouramis as soon as I can find them.

Here are a few photographs so far:
Un I.D'ed moss:

Kuhli loaches: (I love the things, they look like they have tiny mustaches)

Left side:

right side:

Full tanks shot:

Experiment carpet:

And if you can't tell from the photographs I don't take em for a living but agian, I'll do the best I can

Rodney

10 gallon.
20 gallon long low light garden.

Last edited by rodney; 08-14-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
1. funky moss - I like it
2. glad to hear that someone is going to take a step away, come up with an original idea, and quit copying what others are doing
3. love kuhli loaches
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comment

The "moss" is actually algae But eh I got it for free and free is always good anyway I cut out my C02 because I don't want to kill it off. So im going to start dosing a little more flourish instead. The plan is for the stuff to form a carpet on the bottom of the aquarium...sort of.

Im looking to buy a new filter for the tank, any recomendations?
EDIT: i was actually considering a biowheel filter, I know this outgasses co2 but will it have any impact on flourish excel?

comments always welcome

rodney

10 gallon.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

I was gonna say this "moss" is most likely some sort of algea, thus i would get rid of it.

Do yourself a favor with the filter and go with a canister. It the way to go with a planted tank. You'll get a good bang for the buck by going with a RENA filstar. The bio-wheel will not have any effects on the excel, as far as I know, but if you ever decide to upgrade to either DIY or pressurised co2 you'll be kicking yourself for not going with a canister.

JP
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

MrJP- Thanks for the comment. I was just looking for the cheap way out but I do agree That I should just go with a canister. But as one last attempt to not spend any money LOL im building my own filter. Im thinking a wet/dry trickle sort of filter we'll see how that goes.

Rodney

10 gallon.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wouldn't want to let all of my comment'ers be disapointed( /sarcasm...) so...

what do you think?

I have no idea what I will need to pump the water back into my aquarium so Im counting on someone responding say, before lunch time.

I havn't thought up all of my options yet so a few things may change.

I should be done with it all this week-end except the java moss part because no one sells it around here so maybe I will come up with an alternative.

Comments ALWAYS welcome

Rodney

10 gallon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How far will the pump have to push water vertically? You should be able to use a powerhead, and the height it needs to move the water will determine what model to get.

I can ship you some java moss, if you want some. Just cover shipping cost.

Any reason you plan on using carbon in the filter?

Nice, ghetto picture, btw
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I'll tell you one thing, the top fin 30 is a piece of crap! For 20 bucks it'll lift my water about 4 inches extremely slow.

I smell a return...

My water is VERY cloudy...again

BUT I'll see if I can get an update done tonight.

Rodney

EDIT: Out of anger I forgot to reply back to my oh so faithful commenters

10 gallon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evercl92 View Post
How far will the pump have to push water vertically? You should be able to use a powerhead, and the height it needs to move the water will determine what model to get.

I can ship you some java moss, if you want some. Just cover shipping cost.

Any reason you plan on using carbon in the filter?

Nice, ghetto picture, btw

about the carbon, Im pretty much using it because I have it lol

Today there has been multiple dissasters concerning my aquarium. Im pretty stressed now and the medication im on isn't helping any so I will post further details later on.

Yeah, the diagram is pretty detailed is it not lol

Rodney

Comments always welcome!!!

10 gallon.

Last edited by rodney; 08-26-2007 at 06:30 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Upate numero 1

I know the updates a little late but like I said, My water was real cloudy. I woke up this morning to find a clear aquarium so I think I have finally beat it

Not much has happened this last week, however I decided to scrap the filter Idea and just go with my aquaclear. And I also planted a very small lawn of micro sword because It may be awhile before my algae lawn begins to grow.

I am contemplating on what oher plants I have that would go well with the scape, But the only thing I can think of now are my sword plants.

Micro sword:

algae propogation:

Left side:

Right side:

Full tank shot 1:

Full tank shot 2:

Comments always welcome!

Rodney

10 gallon.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A big project was started today in adding a 4-5" lift in the substrate at the left of the tank. I used popsickle sticks and non cotton thread along with some cheese clothe to help build a divider. I plan on building some "Christmas trees" on top of it.

Like I said, theres going to be alot of experimenting going on in this tank with a Very minimal budget. If this doesn't work out, I'll try something else. But I pretty much have the entire tank built up on paper as well as in my head.

My only regret was to make sure the kuhlis were safe before moving some of the substrate.

Also a tip: a major moving of the substrate can result in cloudy water long term (Longer than a week) so go a litttle at a time and when your done tun the light of for awhile to be safe.

Comments always welcome,

Rodney

10 gallon.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like it's going to turn out quite nice. I'd like to see it in about a week.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
personally i think the algae "carpet" is a very unique and creative idea. Too many people think that a little bit of unplanned nature in our tanks is a horrible thing. I'm sure lots of people here have plenty of algae they'd be more than happy to send you I know I have a bit myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode