Planted Tank + Goldfish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Tank + Goldfish

Hi all, newbie here, having a look round and some lovely tanks on here!

I have a Rio 120L tank that I started with plain grey pea gravel and plastic plants about 6 months ago and now have progressed to a fully planted tank with JBL aquabasis fertilser substrate and black sand/gravel.

Im thinking of moving the goldfish to a smaller Rena tank i have and move into Tropicals. So any suggestions would be most welcome especially since im only just starting to research Tropicals...

A couple of pics below, any comments appreciated....!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
How small is the other tank. Your tank is a fine size for them as it is. Dont go with anything under 20g's if you move them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi, was thinking of moving them between 2 other tanks, both just 35L though but im thinking that i will keep them in the bigger planted tank and start a tropical tank in one of the smaller ones.

Any ideas what I could start with in a 35L tall Rena tank that would be good for a beginner to tropicals?
I fancy a community tank. Ive seen a lovely tank in my LFS that has a couple of sea-horses, 2 clown-fish and a blue one that looks like Dory from Nemo lol!

Think id like to have it set up with white sand/fine gravel and some Coral and a few tall plants?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Ive seen a lovely tank in my LFS that has a couple of sea-horses, 2 clown-fish and a blue one that looks like Dory from Nemo lol!
You know all three of those are saltwater, right? And that's a WHOLE different ballgame than freshwater planted tanks (though I agree that they look awfully cool! ).

If you want a planted tank, I'd concentrate on growing the plants first, then figure out which fish you want. I'm still a bit of a newb to planted tanks, but have found it a LOT easier to learn how to grow the plants without the added balancing act of fish in the tank. Later, I'll add fish ~ probably some of the beautiful Endler strains SwampRiverAquatics.com sells, or maybe a big tank with some angelfish. Right now I just have bettas, some wild Endler-like guppies and shrimp ~ all low-bioload stuff.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
When you say "Tropical" - that means that the water is warm and from a "tropical" area near the equator. Seahorses and clown fish are tropical saltwater, and the tanks on this site are mostly tropical freshwater, with a few coldwater freshwater like yours is currently (goldies like cooler water). Were you thinking of freshwater (sweetwater) or saltwater?

Many people here might be able to help with saltwater, but you may have better luck on a saltwater-centered forum

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, ive only started looking at all things tropical!

I was thinking of Freshwater tropicals as I would basically only need to add a heater to my current planted tank.

What freshwater tropicals would be a good start for my tank?
Any links to articles I could read that would be good? Ideally would like a list of the different tropical fish with pics....

thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Good fish for a tropical planted involve:

Schoolers- Tetras, Danios, Rasboras
Bottomfeeders- Corydoras, Shrimp, Apple Snails, Nerite Snails
Algae Eaters- Otocinclus, Amano Shrimp, Free Petsmart snails(Ramshorn, Trumpet, Pond),
Centerpieces- Bettas, Gouramis, Large school of fish, Dwarf Cichlids

Those are few ideas. All look great in a smaller planted tank. As for plants here is a good list for lower light(and also fast growers).

Foreground-Marsilea Minuta(not the fastest in lower light but its a nice plant), Anubia tied to rocks, Moss tied to rocks.
Midground- Cryptocorynes, Anubia tied to rock/Driftwood, Moss Tied to driftwood, Java Fern tied to driftwood
Background-Hygrophila, Rotala, Ludwgia, Anacharis, Hornwort, Large Java fern, small Amazaon swords.

Read Rex Griggs Site.

Rex Griggs site

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode