~sandiegoryu's 10 gallon~ 12.09.07 Update! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
~sandiegoryu's 10 gallon~ 12.09.07 Update!

How do you think of the hardscape? In terms of plants, I'm lacking in that department and I barely have an idea of what I want. I planted Eleocharis parvula in the front, one measily Vallisneria nana in the back left there, some kind of Rotala, and HM. Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking Narrow leaf Java fern tied in the middle area of where all the driftwood meet. Then let the Eleocharis parvula go around the right part making sort of a little coast, the Eleocharis parvula being the ocean, and the driftwood/other plants I'll get being the not ocean :-P.

Edit: Light is only 30 watts so I'm looking for low tech. I'm not gonna plan to dose anything special besides Flourish. I had this tank with flourite and I had no algae problems except clado so I'm expecting with the addition of Aquasoil, I won't have to change my dosing.

Edit edit: Fauna: only 2 Microrasbora Kubotai (hopefully that will change), and around 10 RCS for algae control for now. Hopefully will be replaced by another shrimp. I plan to keep this a shrimp friendly tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 12-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I like the wood a lot all you need is some moss on the ends , also is the landscape all flat? if it is make some parts high and low and adding a black or blue background would make the wood stand out more. good luck

Filstar pimp#48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks about the wood. I'm not gonna choose to use moss this time. I don't think I'll like the look of it and it'll be a pain to take off if i don't like it. If you are referring to the substrate as the landscape then no it's not flat. It's higher in the back and lower in the front but not sloped to one side.

And I have a black background but just didn't choose to use it. I guess I will then :-D.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
H Sandie

I hope you dont mind a newbie commenting on your tank.

I love the wood, its loaded with character. I agree that you should avoid the moss with this piece. Concentrate on stem plant arrangement. You should look at 'happiness in the meadow'' by Dimitri Roger, a well documented and executed aquascape that can be viewed here http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?op...d=29&catid=160

Your piece of wood would work well with a similar scape of stem plants. I wish you luck with this layout and look forward to your presentation.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

i'm kinda new too, but doesn't 30watts on a 10gallon exceed the low-tech neighborhood. that's 3wpg. i'd cod2 that... but that's just me.

btw. i like the wood.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
10 gallons dont count on the wpg rule

i have 20 over mine and its low tech no co2 tank. seems to work well though

and i think the hardscape of this is very nice

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

^that's why i'm new. learn something everyday. i was hoping i was wrong, because i have several tens that i don't feel like doing any co2 on. thanks!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for comments on the wood. I got a great idea from another person on another site. I think I'm gonna go with his idea.

Yah some people put 50 watts on a 10 gallon and its finally a high tech. I would consider mine a fine line between low tech and medium tech. I know for a fact it's low because I've used these lights for the past year and had no problems on growth and algae. Except clado. Yuck. IME, clado only appears when its introduced. Even well maintained tanks will grow it well unless you take it out the moment you see it and have an army of amano shrimp.

Update: the tank is on only day two now, no one has died yet even though Aquasoil is supposed to bring a massive ammonia spike. Maybe Purigen helped?

Happiness in the Meadow looks like a really nice tank. But I'm afraid I need more light for many of the plant he's using, and I it'll be hard to trim it perfectly like him :-P. I don't like his hardscape too much either :-P.

This was the idea:
light green is some carpeting plant, he suggested marsilea minuta, and then the dark green some kind of anubias but I'm not a fan of anubias so I decided to go with crypts.

Thanks everyone for comments/ideas!

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just came up with this. Excuse the horrible drawing but i've got an idea now.

I will dump the stem plants.

The long ones in the back are vallisneria nana (supposing I can make it grow like that)

The light greenish bluish ones in the middle of the driftwood will be Microsorum Pteropus Windelov: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...pec=Microsorum

The brown will be Cryptocoryne Becketii "Petchii" http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...c=Cryptocoryne

The light green next to the brown is going to be Cryptocoryne parva. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...c=Cryptocoryne

The grass looking thing, will be Eleocharis Parvula (because I already have it).

Any comments? Hopefully the Vallisneria nana won't cover the driftwood like that.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Love the skills Sandiego lol. I have these skills. Mostly cause I have no life and a lot of time to Copy, Cut, And paste lol.

Anyway I think that will look awesome once planted. Keep us updated.

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hha that actually looks nice though. Mine's just lines and colors and lots of dots :-P.

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Yeah I take a while. And also it keeps me wanting to try the layout because it gives a better idea of what t may look like(that is my own tank design).

I'd love to see how your idea with the Windelov JF works out in the center of the wood though. Im not to "taken" by it. Maybe its just a wait and see thing.

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I HOPE it's a wait and see thing. Otherwise I'll make it grow out and let the plants multiply, then sell the plants back and try to get some more plants to try another scape :-P.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen it done but Windelov gets more of a unruly appearence to it. I would say go with either Narrow Leaf or even regular Java. Although its more common I think it would even better. Just my .02c.

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I've always wanted to try windelov :-P. One of my favorite plants that I've not owned yet. If it won't work I'll try java fern.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode