29 Gallon Tank
Planted

Equipment -
AquaClear 30
Aqueon Quiet Flow 30
Cobalt Aquatics Neotherm 100 watt Heater
Odyssea 24" T5 Dual High Output Light Fixture 48W 6700K

Fish
2x Angelfish (Silver Striped and Gold Pearlscale)
5x Rummynose Tetras
1x Gold Ram
1x Albino SAE
2x Otos
1x Neon Tetra
1x Cheery Barb
2x Plateus Corydoras
1x Kuhli Loach

Plants-
Amazon Swords
Java Moss/Christmas Moss mix
Java Fern
Rotala Indica
Dwarf Sag
Red / Purple / Green Cabomba
Green Crypt
Water Sprite
Ludwigia Repens / Narrowleaf
Aquarium Lily

Chemicals Used -
Seachem Flourish Excel
Seachem Iron
Root Tabs
API Leaf Zone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	246721  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	246729  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nice! How is this setup going? I am literally planning out nearly an identical stocking for my planted 29g. I've always wanted to keep angels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
So this is high(?) light, bottled co2, and just root tabs for ferts? Might have to try planting my 29g if it can go that well, damn. Haven't wanted to convert mine over to planted because of all the work that went into my 75g, but if it can be done that simply and look that nice I'm all for it! Let me know more!

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.

Last edited by Rush3737; 01-31-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: more

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1X neon tetra and 1X cherry barb?
Isn't that kind of a sad state of affairs for schooling fish like that?

And how are the angels treating the other fish? I too want to do angels but I'm reluctant since I hear they're temperamental.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html
I have one of those Odyssea units and when I replaced one bulb/w one of these I got color that was much more life like/realistic lookin.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=13823

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Very Pretty Tank!

Hmmm I think I need more plants. I had visions of a school of Angels in my 39 gallon tank. I bought 4, one died and sometimes the mated pair pick on the third. I have an albino bristle nose and two zebra danio's. My plants look pathetic and I'm an unemployed college student. Any suggestions on a shoe string budget?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Algae Grower

4 angels in a 29g is quite over stocked not even counting the others. in my opinion. I saw you said 39 gallon in your later post so I'm kinda confused. Either way, with the four you would be just about stocked.

Sent using these stoopid hooves..

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Algae Grower

It's not necessarily overstocked at all. It depends on a lot of things, like the size of the angels, the quality of your filter, how many plants you have and what kind of water change regimen you've got going. I've got a 29 with 23 fish and 7 inverts in it and they've been thriving in there for years now.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

I would agree that it may not today be overstocked, but there are some very serious problems with the fish stocking and things will become problematic sooner or later.

Two angelfish will fill a 29g, if they are a mated pair; if both are males, eventually one may end up dead.

The characins are shoaling fish that must have a group, as someone else mentioned. Not only is this best for them, but on their own characins frequentlly become stressed and aggressive, and nipping the angels is almost a certainty in time. The angels will also see some of these fish as food, so it is a two-way street.

Rummys (Hyphessobrycon bleheri) are one tetra that is always better in larger groups, and I would say never fewer than 8, but 12+ is better still. I'm not suggesting that here, as the tank is just too small for all these fish to be in proper-sized groupings plus the angels. The corys need more too, no less than five. And kuhlii should have at least three, though five or six would be better for them too.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, MA
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
Nice! How is this setup going? I am literally planning out nearly an identical stocking for my planted 29g. I've always wanted to keep angels.

The setup a been going great!!

29 Gallon Planted Tank

5.5 Gallon Sakura Shrimp Tank
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparte View Post
1X neon tetra and 1X cherry barb?
Isn't that kind of a sad state of affairs for schooling fish like that?

And how are the angels treating the other fish? I too want to do angels but I'm reluctant since I hear they're temperamental.

Yea . I did have more of these guys but they died and I feel that my tank is stocked just to the top now . So I don't think I can ass anymore.

29 Gallon Planted Tank

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2ak View Post
4 angels in a 29g is quite over stocked not even counting the others. in my opinion. I saw you said 39 gallon in your later post so I'm kinda confused. Either way, with the four you would be just about stocked.

Sent using these stoopid hooves..

Four angels? I only have 2 angels. One striped and one is pearlscale. They are a breeding pair now and lay eggs every 2-3 weeks.

29 Gallon Planted Tank

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparte View Post
It's not necessarily overstocked at all. It depends on a lot of things, like the size of the angels, the quality of your filter, how many plants you have and what kind of water change regimen you've got going. I've got a 29 with 23 fish and 7 inverts in it and they've been thriving in there for years now.

True. I have two filters for 30 gallons and do 25 percent water changes every week.

29 Gallon Planted Tank

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would agree that it may not today be overstocked, but there are some very serious problems with the fish stocking and things will become problematic sooner or later.

Two angelfish will fill a 29g, if they are a mated pair; if both are males, eventually one may end up dead.

The characins are shoaling fish that must have a group, as someone else mentioned. Not only is this best for them, but on their own characins frequentlly become stressed and aggressive, and nipping the angels is almost a certainty in time. The angels will also see some of these fish as food, so it is a two-way street.

Rummys (Hyphessobrycon bleheri) are one tetra that is always better in larger groups, and I would say never fewer than 8, but 12+ is better still. I'm not suggesting that here, as the tank is just too small for all these fish to be in proper-sized groupings plus the angels. The corys need more too, no less than five. And kuhlii should have at least three, though five or six would be better for them too.

Byron.

Thanks for your input.
I have had these angels since they were juveniles and luckily they are a breeding pair . They are laying eggs right now lol.

29 Gallon Planted Tank

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The weird thing about these single fish just as the neon and the cherry barb, they just school with my rummys

29 Gallon Planted Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode