Super(ish?) High Tech 60p Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super(ish?) High Tech 60p Build

Hello everyone! I am new member here (this is my first post) and thought I would stop looking at all the beautiful setups, stop taking advantage of the trove of information, and post something to contribute. Below is my ongoing ghetto (used stuff) yet super (almost fully automated) high tech set up.

Disclaimer: This is my first setup in 15 years as I have been on hiatus due to lack of time and space since I have moved to the city. So be prepared, because I may just end up with a high tech algae farm. This is an ongoing process that will take some time to complete. Also, I tried to save money by sourcing as much as I could from craigslist and doing a bunch of DIY. This probably resulted in spending way more money and time than if I just went to AFA and bought the stuff retail.

Setup:

Lighting:
DIY LED setup from RapidLED and craigslist
14 3W 6500k white CREE LEDs
6 3W Royal Blue CREE LEDs
One LED driver for each color that can be independently controlled (see the "other section)

Tank+Stand:
ADA 60-P
DIY stand (What a nightmare)

Filtration:
Eheim ecco
Do!Aqua Lilys

Substrate:
ADA Power Sand
ADA Amazonia

Hardscape:
Shooting for Iwagumi(ish)
Seiryu Stone

CO2 / Ferts:
EI from GLA
10 lb CO2 tank with milwaukee reg and electronic solenoid
milwaukee PH controller
3 peristaltic pumps (micros, macros and top off)
Cheap reactor

Automation:
Easy IO Controller: this will control when the ferts are dosed and it will also allow me to put both color lights on different schedules. The lights will also turn on at different rates, I will explain more about this down the road. Why have the lights on different schedules? Just because the controller can do it, so what the heck? The controller also has an input for the water temp, enables the CO2 just before the light come on, cuts power to the LED drivers to save power when not in use, controls the heat sink fan, and reads the heat sink's temp.

DGBox: This will allow me to access any information in the above controller on my phone or computer. I can also adjust the light output, fan speed, enable and disable stuff via the phone. This also has an alarming feature that will email me when stuff goes wrong.

Pictures:
Stand build:

Other:

Crude Drawings for the automation sutff:

IO List:

Schematic:

Let me know what you think

More pics to come...

Last edited by Jack0; 12-17-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most impressive. I see a lot of similar LED fixtures being built lately, with great results. The electronic aspect of configuring such a set-up is beyond me!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Controls before wiring:

Controls after wiring:

Controls mounted in stand:

Controls in hidden position:

Picture of potential pump placement:

I'll keep the updating this as I progress. Maybe I should have posted everything at once, when it was all done...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Very nice looking setup.

I wasn't familiar with that controller so I Googled the cost. Is it really that expensive? Curious, why you chose it over other options (e.g Apex). It's a very nice unit no doubt with everything it can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
Very nice looking setup.

I wasn't familiar with that controller so I Googled the cost. Is it really that expensive? Curious, why you chose it over other options (e.g Apex). It's a very nice unit no doubt with everything it can do.
I chose it because I use it at work, I know how to program it, and I had one laying around for testing purposes. It is extremely overkill for a 17 gallon freshwater or even a 300 gallon reef setup. There is much more potential there, I just have to think how to utilize it. Maybe an automated fish feeder hidden in my light fixture? Any ideas?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
There are some nice automated frozen fish food feeders on reef forums...just need a mini fridge

You could add a pH probe, heater controls, add weather effects...lots of options!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Planted Member

Subscribed to this!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
There are some nice automated frozen fish food feeders on reef forums...just need a mini fridge

You could add a pH probe, heater controls, add weather effects...lots of options!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Frozen fish food feeders, interesting...Do you happen to have a link? I do have a ph probe but when I called Milwaukee to find out what kind of signal (voltage, current, resistance, etc.) it uses, they would not tell me for some reason. So I am just using their ph controller's output in series with a relay to turn the the CO2 on and off. It would be nice to read the ph directly so I can plot it over time which might give me an idea of how much CO2 my plants are using or if I need to adjust my CO2 supply.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode