Narhay's 10 Gallon Rimless Office Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Narhay's 10 Gallon Rimless Office Aquarium

My bowl has come to an end:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...242&highlight=

And moved into a rimless 10 gallon next to my desk at the office. I moved the plants over last night and haven't put in the hardscape yet but it is on the to-do list. Lights just turned on so everything is a bit out of whack but should settle in the next few days. I am a fan of the eclectic overgrown jungle look so that is what I will be going for. Plans are guppies and either CRS or RCS but this could change. Maybe neons or harlequins. Or maybe something else. It is looking relatively homely for the time being but the hardscape and some background stems should perk it up a bit.

Eheim 2213 - flow is high for the little tank but should calm once more plant matter settles in.
Eheim 50W heater
Ikea Desklamp w/6500k 13W CFL x 2
Eco-complete black fine 20lbs

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
Cryptocoryne parva
(I believe)
Anubias nana
Enchinodorus tenellus

Last edited by narhay; 12-12-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Algae Grower

I like those lights.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. I like them too and at $10 each with a 3 dollar bulb in a vertical position with a nice big reflector I think they produce a lot of light for the dollar. I can also lower and raise it depending on conditions so it is great. Only thing is consistency with the light height and making them the same level. I can also swing them out of the way for maintenance.

Tomorrow I will be looking for some rocks. There is a drainage rainfall collection area nearby that I will pillage for some limestone.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I added some rocks. I'll take my DSLR camera to the office one day but here is a cellphone picture for now. I'll be adding quite a few more species of plants once things have settled...there is always room for a new plant.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A bit of an update:

Added this past Saturday with some cycled filter material:
3 Female guppies
2 Male Guppies
4 Otocinclus

I've added some new plants (red ludwigia, water sprite, valisneria spiralis, and some smaller leaved plant in the back right that I can't seem to ID but grows quite well). I had a cyanobacteria/diatom issue for quite some time but with the addition of the otos it has cleared up quite nicely. I am also able to see tiny little amphipod type creatures skittering around on the leaves and substrate. Never seen anything like that in my other freshwater aquariums. I think the guppies may have decimated their population though. Next stop are some cherry shrimp and I think I should be good for fish for now if the guppies reproduce.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Awesome tank!

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks great!

Needs some floaters though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the nice words.

The valisneria and a few of the other stems should grow to the surface and curl around so that will take care of the floaty bits for the surface. I need to leave it for a few months to grow in and fill out but I'm happy with how it is going now.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A small update but there is at least one guppy fry as of Thursday evening. The adults were trying to eat it for a while but it seemed to evade their interests. The otos have really cleaned everything up nicely from the algae I had.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The aquarium more or less sat as is for the past two and a half years. Some of the plants did ok, others slowly declined. It wasn't getting a lot of attention and my job took me away quite a bit. The guppies came and went but there were always quite a number of them. I changed jobs so I had to move the aquarium back home for a couple weeks. This is what the interim aquarium looked like:

Nothing special but I had to do quite a bit of pruning due to a black type of algae growing on the leaves. It sat like that for a few weeks while I collected things to get it running again.

I bought a bunch of tropica plants, a finnex planted+ 24/7 and a few co2 paintball tanks with an aquatek mini regulator and some miscellaneous diffuser and drop checker bits from eBay. Photos are difficult because there is lighting around the aquarium but this is how it looks now:

Some new growth on the rotala.

What are the two large plants at the back and is that dwarf sag in the bottom left corner?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just curious, how is the eheim 2213 doing? I know you said it was a little high at first, but I've heard a lot about eheims decreasing drastically in flow rate as they age. Is the current flow rate good? Asking because I have a 2211 on my 10g currently and it started fine, but decreased quite a bit, even after installing a 2213 impeller.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It was a great filter and the flow was fine after a while. I can't have a canister on this desk so I am using an ac20.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
I've heard a lot about eheims decreasing drastically in flow rate as they age. Is the current flow rate good? Asking because I have a 2211 on my 10g currently and it started fine, but decreased quite a bit, even after installing a 2213 impeller.
Mine decreased a lot. To the point where the spray bar was barely spraying. I cleaned the canister and media and when I turned it back on it just about blew my mystery snail out of the tank. It's a little TOO heavy now. Though, how it should be.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are the plants:

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'

Gratiola viscidula

Marsilea hirsuta

Anubias nana

Microsorum pteropus

Heteranthera zosterifolia

Cryptocoryne wendtii green

Rotala wallichii

Hydrocotyle tripartita

Unknowns:

Hygrophila spp?

Unknown small leafed plant

Dwarf sag?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank is doing well. New growth noted everywhere except the crypts. They are melting a bit but I'm hoping for a recovery. Noted a couple pond snails but it's just extra algae control.

The plants I have tentatively identified as hydgrophila polysperma, sagittaria subulata and moneywort.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode