29G High Humidity Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
29G High Humidity Riparium

29G High Humidity Riparium

I'm working on another new high humidity riparium setup. I have done a few of these before. The most impressive high humidity planting was the one that I had in this 55G tank a few years ago...

High humidity ripariums are really great because you can keep emersed specimens of collector crypts and similar plants that demand very moist air in a real scaped display tank with fish. Emersed crypts are more often kept in simple growout tanks with shallow water not really designed as displays.

I have a few real good plants on hand that I can use in this new setup...
  • Bolbitis heteroclita
  • Cryptocoryne usteriana
  • C. pontederiifolia
  • C. wendtii - various different varieties
  • Lagenandra thwaitesii
  • Licuala aurantica - a mini swamp palm tree. Cool!
  • Schismatoglottis sp.

I think that I am going to use a standard 29G tank (30.3" x 12.5" x 18.8") for this little project. The dimensions of this one are a good compromise between something taking up a bit less space, while still having some room for plants. The riparium planters are about 4" wide, so I should be able to fit seven different plants in planters in this enclosure. I already have a 29G here, although the glass is a little beat up. I might go buy another new one.

Lagenandra thwaitesii is one among several different emersed aquatics that I have grown very well in the riparium planters. Once you get this plant established and with plenty of root ferts it blooms with these amazing maroon spathes over and over again.

I'm going over to the shop tonight. Maybe I'll have some new pictures pretty soon.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Dude this thing looks amazing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Dude this thing looks amazing!
You mean the Lagenandra?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
You mean the Lagenandra?
Yep, reminds me of some sort of carniverous pitcher plant ya know. The old tanks looks amazing also, cant wait to see the new project. Speaking of cariverous plants, ever thought of doing a high humidity tank scaped with carniverous plants! Lol

Also in my thread a few posts down someone was looking for riparium plants like the ones u sold to me so I pointed them in ur direction

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Yep, reminds me of some sort of carniverous pitcher plant ya know. The old tanks looks amazing also, cant wait to see the new project. Speaking of cariverous plants, ever thought of doing a high humidity tank scaped with carniverous plants! Lol

Also in my thread a few posts down someone was looking for riparium plants like the ones u sold to me so I pointed them in ur direction
Thanks for the reference!

Most carnivorous plants need bright light, excellent air circulation and very clean, soft water, so they would be pretty unhappy in a setup like this and probably dead before very long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode