28g bowfront to 40 g breeder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
28g bowfront to 40 g breeder

The story began October 1st when I decided to set up my first planted tank with a 28g bow-front tank.

I immediately went for a high tech setup due to my impatience for seeing results. This is my equipment setup

20 in 4x 18w T5HO lighting
fluval 206 filter
5lb co2 tank with glass diffuser

Being in love with the aquascape of the masters I went for the "best" substrate I could buy, ADA amazonian aqua soil, and began planting right away. On the first day this is what I had setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone upload 11-27 075 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	241929
Some relatively easy and hardy plants which include,
-Dwarf hairgrass
-anubias barteri var. nana
-Aponogeton crispus
-alternanthera reineckii
-amazon compacta

After nearly 2 months of fighting different algae, dialing in my fertilizing regime I though I had some pretty good success resulting in this.

Name:	Phone upload 11-27 116 (1280x720).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	241937

I had fellow enthusiast donate some baby tears and pogostemon helferi trimmings also, which i attached to some driftwood and planted around the driftwood respectively.

The above picture was taken 11-22-13 and then disaster struck thanksgiving evening at 11 pm. I awoke to my wife shaking me and yelling "The tank is leaking! The tank is leaking!" Sure enough the bottom pane of glass had cracked right in half causing water to start leaking from the bottom.

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	241953

I immediately run for a spare pump so I can save as much water as i can into Rubbermaid containers and transport the fish into their new temporary homes.

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	241945

The plants however were not so lucky with their homes, being placed into a single 5 gallon bucket with what remained of the water that wasn't covering my floor.

Much to my luck I had a spare 40 g breeder tank just lying around, but no stand for it. Black friday I spent at home depot buying lumber and building a good enoughy stand to get my fish out of the Rubbermaid and my plants back into substrate. And here is their new home, very incomplete but with exuberant amounts of potential .

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	241969

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	241961

Here's my list of improvements for the larger tank in no particular order
-set up new aquascape
-upgrade filtration
-inline co2 reactor
-paint/ finish stand

I'm pretty much brand new here, but have been lurking the forums for quite some time and would appreciate any comments advice or questions.

thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Spare 40 breeder? Awesome.

Good call starting this hobby with pressurized CO2 instead of Excel or DIY. My advice would be to slow down, watch how the plants grow, remember most growth/algae issues are CO2 related, and spend lots of time in a chair directly in front of the tank. I'm still working on all of these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have discovered that 40 breeders are my favorite footprint! I think once the plants grow in this will look very nice. That driftwood is beautiful, BTW.

Eheim Pimp #475

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Aside from your tank tragedy, I'm in a similar situation. Started not knowing nothin' on a 29g, worked by way into high tech, currently migrating to a 40b, although I have the luxury of taking my time. I think finishing the stand will be the most difficult part. I'm building one as well, and it was a lot more work than I thought. I'm not much of a woodworker though. Since you really only have the frame at this point, you might want to build a 2nd frame and finish the 2nd one. That way you can leave your setup undisturbed until you make the transition. Then you can have a spare frame for another 40b...:-). What light do you have on the 40b right now? Do you find that the glass diffuser is adequate? I have one and I'm not too thrilled with it. I'm going to switch over to a Rex Grigg reactor.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys just a little update.

I added some more dwarf hair grass from a friend to help carpet the bottom a bit faster along with some more p. helferi. I had a bad out break of brown diatoms, due to the quick transfer, luckily my LFS had a sale on some otocinclus so I bought 4 and holy cow are they eating machines. Within 3 days they cleared up every bit of algae EVERYWHERE, gotta get some veggies and wafers now.

Hyzer- the tank is right next to my computer desk so I always have an eye on it. The wife always laughs at me for "getting lost" in the aquarium when I just stare at it.

Majerah1- I got the driftwood from a cool website that only allows handmade/ natural items for sale and you can find nice driftwood for CHEAP. (not sure about posting websites so pm me if you want to know.)

Bennyjam- I have a t5ho 36Wx2 light fixture with a flora max bulb( pinkish colored) and a 10k bulb. I haven't noticed to big of plant growth difference from using the 6700k bulbs from the 29, but it may be to soon to tell. I'm also having to crank the co2 a bit high (6-7 bps) to allow ~30ppm in the tank so it does work, but I already have order an inline diffuser just so i can conserve my 5lb co2 tank.

I'll post some pics later today i do have some messy growth but i don't want to trim anything for a few weeks to minimize my plant loss. And I'm painting the stand tomorrow, my first day off in over 2 months! Is there any concern with paint fumes near the fish tank that I should take precautions for or would I be okay because I'm using brushes not spray paint.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i got these today and all setup pretty happy with it so far.

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	248385

it's a fluval co2 indicator, I know they're cheap but as long as it will work i'm okay with it.

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	248377

The inline co2 atomizer was a bit tricky to install. I have a fluval filter with the black ribbed tubing and that doesn't attach very well to the atomizer. I bought some vinyl tubing from home depot and just replaced ribbed hosing from the out take of the filter to the bottom of the atomizer then used the white rubber booties to attach the black hosing to the atomizer so I could bend the out take around the lip of the tank.

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	248393

I dropped my atomizer to about 1 bps compared to the 4-5 bps i had on a glass diffuser. I've never used one before and will have to experiment a bit to figure out how much i can push it before the fish start to freak out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

Excited to see this grown in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode