Anubias dying - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anubias dying

Hi I am a newbie when it comes to plants in tanks,

Hope someone can help me out!

I have recently set up a discus tank and bought 5 Anubias plants. Bought Anubias as they told me they are hardy plants and need low light, no fertz etc...

A few I have tied a few to driftwood, others tied to rocks. In order to do this I had to trim the roots.

After a few weeks all my Anubia plants (barteri round leaf and Congensis) started to die. Congensis started to turn black and leaves fell off, Barteri plants started to disintegrate and leaves started to get loose.

I was very upset by this and cannot understand how this happened. The only plant that seems to still be ok is the Barteri Nana. This is the only plant that i did not need to trim off the roots. Can this be the reason?

My temp in the tank is 29 degrees C, Ph approx 7 and have two 50 cms T5 11 watts tubes. Tank is approx 400 liters.

I would like to remove dying plants and start again. Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Thanks
SGB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131123_142245.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	241713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Planted Member

Did you put any fertz? Its look like nutrient defiency and/or near strong source of light.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

Anubias dying

Congrats on discus tank!! Even better you're going planted. No it doesn't have to be deficiency necessarily. Anubia leaves melt or die when you change temp or move them. Clipping roots is healthy and they will grow back attached to whatever u tied them to. I have nana, coff, and barteri in my discus tank with even higher temp. Pick a shaded area like under driftwood and put the anubia on rock there. I noticed algae on leaves when they are in direct light. Just clip off dead leaves and wait a week, you'll see they grow back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my 150 gallon planted discus tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Urbach,

No i did not put any fertz in the beginning, I only put when I realized that plants were not doing well.

I only have three 11 watt T5 tubes in a 400 liter aquariums. 130 by 60 by 55 cms. Do you think that is a lot of light for such plants?

One thing that i forgot to mention is that I dipped them for 15 mins in potassium permanganate to get rid of any snails etc..but this was done 2 weeks before i so signs of dying plants!

Thanks,

Steve b
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Algae Grower

They can probably still grow in that little light (like .33 watts per gallon ) but leaves will be small and very slow to grow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies,

I was going to remove them and do new ones but I will wait a week and see if I see some improvement..i will put some fertz maybe it will help.

It removed the plants for a few hours and put them in cold water so maybe thats the reason..not sure!

I thought it was because i trimmed of the roots! seems not!

I have attached a pic of my tank with the plants in question. Have a look at the middle barteri and the one under the driftwood!

Thanks a lot,

SGB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	242129  

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Algae Grower

When I add salt the anubias don't like it much

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode