20 Gallon Planted Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon Planted Shrimp Tank

About 3 weeks in now:

Specs:
Tank - generic 20g long from big als, with black silicone.
Equipment - AC20 (filled with only ceramic media, and crushed coral to negate the levels of acidity the fluval substrate encourages) + intake sponge, Marineland visi-therm heater (kept at around 78 degrees), 4' Lithonia diamond plate shop light (2 light bulb capacity) + two T8 32w bulbs, programmable 7-day timer from homedepot set to 10hrs a day, and has not failed for over a year now.
Care/maintenance products - Flourish excel and iron, API leaf zone, Seachem prime (ftw).
Substrate/flora - Fluval plant stratum, play sand (homedepot), 2 kinds of anubias, rotala (2 kinds?), java fern and moss, ludwigia, vallisneria, dwarf sag, micro chain sword, hygrophila polysperma, crypt wendtii bronze and i think willisii, pothos vines, malaysian driftwood and don't know the type stuck to the wall.
Livestock - 1x oto catfish waiting for more, 1x amano shrimp also waiting for buddies, ~50-60 cherry shrimp all transferred from the 5.5 gallon.
Future plans - more oto catfish (~3), amano shrimp (~2-4), cherry shrimp (just to introduce different batches to the existing blood line), maybe a flower shrimp, some kind of plant friendly snail, a couple more species of plants, and fish are still a question mark.

Hit me with everything you got! Thanks for stopping by, and i will update the growth if people are interested.

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very good start. The dw attached to the glass looks brilliant. What's your trick?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It was a piece of wood that comes with a rock base attached to it to start. I then unscrewed the rock weight off, bored out the hole a bit, then took a suction cup (that has a loop on it) and crammed it in there. it surprisingly has not come off for over a few months in my old nano 5.5g tank. then to hide the gaps between the glass and the base of the wood, i just grew some java moss in that area. Thank you btw.

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is an awesome scape! I love how there is like islands and it makes it look so natural. Makes the tank look bigger than it actually is.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
That is an awesome scape! I love how there is like islands and it makes it look so natural. Makes the tank look bigger than it actually is.
Thank you! I wanted a winding path but didn't know how to do it without a deeper tank, so this is how it ended up. Cannot wait for everything to grow in.

JAVA MOSS

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really beautiful, and I like your choice of plants too. I have a 20 long and I am thinking of reworking it a little bit like this, but I had been wondering what kind of plants would be good to use. I would also be turning it into a shrimp tank.

Your moss has grown in wonderfully. I have a terrible time growing java moss, although I have tried growing it in different ways. It looks unhealthy and grows lots of hair algae. I know moss is essential for a shrimp tank, and I think it is so lovely too. Although I've been trying for 6 months to grow it, maybe I will eventually find out the secret!

Anyway, your tank looks lovely and I hope it does very well for you!

My 20 Gallon Long Plant Collection:
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water7 View Post
Really beautiful, and I like your choice of plants too. I have a 20 long and I am thinking of reworking it a little bit like this, but I had been wondering what kind of plants would be good to use. I would also be turning it into a shrimp tank.

Your moss has grown in wonderfully. I have a terrible time growing java moss, although I have tried growing it in different ways. It looks unhealthy and grows lots of hair algae. I know moss is essential for a shrimp tank, and I think it is so lovely too. Although I've been trying for 6 months to grow it, maybe I will eventually find out the secret!

Anyway, your tank looks lovely and I hope it does very well for you!
Thank you, and much appreciated. To be fair, most of this moss has been in my tanks from a few months to almost a year now.

My methods: for the smaller moss covered things like rocks, i used a shower loofah, cut it up, and stretched it as i wrapped it over the moss + rock. i then collected the ends towards the bottom and then twisted it like a bag of bread. then i used a zip tie, fed it through random holes and locked it up. this point becomes a peg/leg to push into the substrate. for the driftwood, i used sewing thread/fishing line/arts and craft stretchy clear plastic string (used to make bracelets i guess), and wrapped it several times while not caring how much it showed. now at this point when its all done, i let it grow out and get all straggly but i dont trim it. i rewrap with more thread again but more spaced out. this ensures maximum surface area being eventually gripped by the moss. now is the time when i begin to trim. i repeat the trimming until all areas seem to be growing back evenly across the whole surface that is covered. that is how i get it so thick. in terms of nasty algae, ive only had BBA once and i destroyed it with hydrogen peroxide, and higher doses of excel (on separate occasions). with the peroxide, it should turn red then die, and with the excel it should slowly turn into nothingness.

for plants just take a look at my list and pick the ones you like, they are ALL easy care plants. good luck!

JAVA MOSS

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

I like your driftwood Idea. I might steal it. Looks good.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
I like your driftwood Idea. I might steal it. Looks good.
Doo it! Hopefully you can find a more interesting piece than this one too. Now that i look at it more, its so plain looking. Should have found one with more character you know?

JAVA MOSS

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, good news everyone! My chain sword decided conditions were just right for it to produce red leaves again, wooooh! Photos soon when i can get a better camera other than my old blackberry. It cant take close-ups very well.

JAVA MOSS

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Screw it, dug up the other blackberry (that got run over by my chevy venture... twice trying to look for it LOL).

Terrible photos but these may do the trick in the mean time.

The new red leaves on the chain sword grass:

First couple runners off them:

The pothos and root growth:

Java moss liking the tank as well:

Mr. Amano himself! Just kidding, sort of:

The "oh cool tank man, but this sponge...." syndrome:

These guys are cool though, still a pain to get out of the old tank:

Where a lot of the moss decor came from, and what used to be my nano 5g:

And what it was before that, you can really see the red in the chain sword in this one as there were more of those leaves produced at this time:

More updates to come in time.

JAVA MOSS

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Off to a good start! I really like your use of soil and sand, very nice aquascape!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
Off to a good start! I really like your use of soil and sand, very nice aquascape!
Thanks! Now that i think more and more about this scape, i realize that, it wont even matter any more lol. Once the 2 foreground grasses fill in, it will hardly be visible

JAVA MOSS

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hokay, last thing ill be updating tonight.

A little back story: A while ago my buddy got hooked into the hobby when I showed him the possibilities of aquariums these days (I say that like I've been in this for years), so he purchased the cheapest setup he thought he could get. This kind of spelled for disaster in the end... poor fish. I tried to teach him as much as I could, but for lack of a better word, I couldn't teach the meat head. I finally convinced him to take my old Marineland bio wheel filter as all he had on his, not even cycled 10g, was this thing - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo .
Needless to say, it was worthless and did nothing for him. He tried to throw it out once i hooked him up with the bio wheel, but with my tinkering needs I grabbed it and took it apart. Low and behold, look what i find inside:

Its a mini powerhead! I've been needing one! I got so excited, and made sure he didn't want it and it was mine. Now fast forward to the present, skipping the whole time that I forgot I even had this effing thing. I plug it in, it works, but its too strong so i chopped off a couple blades. It began tossing my Fluval stratum around - .
Tried it again, and then it became a little dream come true.

I had to do some more tinkering though, without something on the intake this would be the perfect blender for my cherry shrimp. So I grabbed a hot glue gun and made and intake tube adapter thingy, and then zip tied a piece of nylon on the end. After that, keeping the glue gun warm for more action, I literally found the biggest suction cup I could find and glued that sucker to the left side the pump, and this is the end product - .
I'm so glad this hideous thing will be well hidden LOL. The reason for attaching the suction cup on the side was so I could fire it up and down, I wasn't focused on the side to side. This is so I could return water to the intake of my AC20 (which is mounted on the right side wall of the tank) -
... annnd it's out of sight pretty much. There is some noise coming from it, ill probably have to leave hot glue dabs where i cut the blades to replace counter weight action. I'll see if that helps tomorrow.

Oh, and my dad gave me a clipping from one of his spider plants! - .
I hope it's not so close to the light that it gets fried

JAVA MOSS

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank you for your explanation of how you do the moss. I appreciate the ideas!

My 20 Gallon Long Plant Collection:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode