biocbue 14 planted "Gaia's Garden" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
biocbue 14 planted "Gaia's Garden"

so for about a year or so i've been planning this tank for my bedside table. After searching and searching for a cheap tank that would fit i finally gave up and settled for a biocube 14. it's the exact dimensions of my bedside table and fits perfect so i didn't mind too much. anyway this is my first "high tech" (kinda) tank. The scape has been in my head forever and finally has come to fruition. Soo.. here is how i set it up and the steps i took blah blah blah...

first the hardscape... for this tank i wanted to do an open forest kinda theme. i've seen forest themes done before but they were too crowded for my taste.
so i ordered a couple of manzanita trees from save-on-crafts.com. cheapest trees i could find ($9 a piece) and were actually really good quality.

after soaking and boiling for like ever i added them to the tank.
i used instant ocean holdfast epoxy to keep them in place.

next i filled in substrate and placed my rocks. they were old ones my dad bought a long time ago from some aquarium store.

next comes planting.

then i filled that sucker with water. let it sit for a bit then started adding fish. don't worry, don't worry this water was already cycled from a 10 gallon i had set up for a while.

let the leds on for about a day and then turned on the real lights the next.

and as of now this is what the tank looks like

anyway this tank uses 2 6500k cfl bulbs (gonna update to the new finnex soon) along with 2 of the biocube leds, white and blue.
in the back i took out the biocube filter media and put a heater in the first chamber. (from bottom to top) seachem bio matrix, purigen and a blue bonded pad in the second chamber. and the third chamber has the pump and biocube UV. i also took off the outlet thing and put in a loc-line spray bar. this tank is currently home to 3 gouramis, 4 glolight tetras (one died ) about 11 amano shrimp, 2 otocinclus, a bunch of nerite snails, and 2 ghost shrimp that i had left from another tank. the flora includes a bunch of dwarf hairgrass, like 3 anubias nana, 2 anubias congensis, 2 hygrophila, some cyperus, and some hornwort(that i wish would stay anchored and root). and sorry i have no idea what the scientific names of the plants are.
anyway as i said earlier i'm gonna switch out the lights soon to the new finnex fugeray planted+ and gonna go pick up a drop checker (cuz i have no idea what i'm doing with the c02)
this tank is on a 7.5 hour daylight period with no lights on at night and c02 is currently at 1 bubble ever 2 seconds. i use ro/di water with added seachem equilibrium. i dose seachem flourish, trace, and the other ones as needed.
next post will probably be me retrofiting the lights and the new drop checker lol.

Let my know your thoughts and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
beautiful, whats the orange thing?

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The orange thing up top? That's the loc-line spray bar. Couldn't find a black one lol.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Very pretty!

Unfortunately, cycled water does zero. Its the filter media that houses the beneficial bacteria. You will see an ammonia spike, leading to a nitrite spike so since you're doing a fish in cycle be prepared to do water changes often
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you have the rhizomes buried on the anubias? It looks like it from the pictures. That will kill them.

Deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So far I haven't had any ammonia or nitrate problems. Ammonia has been at a constant 0 and nitrite has not gone above .25. I think the plants are taking care of most of it.

And yea they are barely under the substrate. Just enough to keep it rooted. One of them is actually poking out from under. And all of them have grown new leaves since being in the tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you are getting a niteIte reading at all, your tank is not cycled.
A "silent cycle" is possible, but you'd need a lot more plant mass for that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A silent cycle/ no cycle at all is what I was going for.
I tested the water today and am is 0, Nitrite is 0, nitrate is 0, and Ph is 7. There probably was a cycle (cuz I lost a tetra) but it's over now. This tank is about a month and a week old btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

quick update. Got my new drop checker in the mail today. ordered from ebay with 4dkh solution. after letting the co2 run all day today the drop checker indicates a mostly greenish blue tint. will let it run again all day tomorrow and then make adjustments. anchored the hornwort down with rocks. and bought home 2 new glolight tetras today. They are rather pale but i believe it is from crappy food etc. hopefully they will regain some color and look as healthy as my others. Almost immediately after acclimating and introducing them into the tank all the tetras starting schooling together again (yay! was tired of them fighting amongst each other) so here are some quick pics ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great! I'm a sucker for gouramis

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode