Thor's Two Tanks (Iwagumi & Manzanita) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thor's Two Tanks (Iwagumi & Manzanita)

Note: Added second tank to thread. Updates will always be on new post.

Well after a one year hiatus from the tank game I am back. Grad school has kept me busy, but I couldn't stop the itch so I decided to revive my AGA 5 gal.

Long story short, I decided on a whim to derim the tank last week because I didn't want to buy a new rimless tank. After successfully derimming the tank I then set out to find supplies....That takes us to today.

This morning I drove up to visit Soup12 and ended up leaving with quite a bit. Aside from little odds and ends, I bought a good amount of Seiryu Stone, some manzanita, a mini fugeray, and a filter. I also got a few plants (HC, ferns, and some stem plants).

After setting the tank up in a variety of ways, I opted to go stone only. I will be carpeting the front with HC and filling in behind the rocks with stems, ferns, and anubis petite or whatever fits.

For the next few weeks I will be running 12hr photoperiods for the emersed HC to get a start. After the carpet has got a good hold I will reduce lighting, fill and dose macro/micro, and start up my paintball co2. If all goes well I will add some shrimp down the road.

Pictures at start are crappy due to condensation on glass, but I tried to get some decent images of main rock. Hopefully you can get an idea.

-Thor

Whole Tank

Main Rock

Last edited by tenzero1; 12-31-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Decided to combine two tanks into one thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well not much to report, but I did order two pots of HC to get a bit more of a head start. I have also planted a temporary tank with some manzanita and some stem plants that will be going into this tank. I believe I have L. Red and sunset hygro which should add some nice contrast to my carpet. More pics of tanks to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: Added more HC to speed up the carpet a tad. Also, I am planning on adding sunset hygro and L. Red behind the rock on the left, but I am second guessing myself. Any recommendations on what taller plants to add in the back left?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

For any of you out there I will do an update.

Over the past week and a half I was gone for the holiday. Over that time the tank had a massive algae outbreak, but thankfully it wasn't the worst algae.

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning it up and unfortunately broke the stem of my diffuser. For now I have my diffuser sitting on the main rock until I can get a new one.

I also have not gotten a new filter yet. I am debating on swapping out for my fluval c3 or buying a zoomed 501 (any opinions?).

My L. Red in the back left corner is taking off so I have been trimming and replanting stems to make a dense bush. I would like recommendations on some other plants to maybe place around the rocks that are low in height, but add dimension.

Suggestions always welcome!

(I rotated photos, but for some reason they do not stay that way...?)

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided to add my tank I keep in my office at school. I set it up to keep leftover plants in while I started other things and also to let my driftwood finish soaking. Its starting to look decent despite it being my "throw away tank".

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added 20 or so cherry shrimp to the office tank today. Hopefully, they situate well and I can get some pictures soon.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Really nice setup!!! Where did you get that lamp???
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Really nice setup!!! Where did you get that lamp???
The lamp on my iwagumi is from ikea. I drilled it into my stand.

Updates soon...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
both ur tanks are splendid n have lots of potential!

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Izabella- thank you!

UPDATE:Sorry about the terrible photos my camera is crappy!

Have cherry shrimp in the office tank now. Also fought some issues with my HC so I am currently re-establishing areas of my carpet. I now have a full regulator for my paintball co2, so it is much more controlled. I have also moved the filter on my iwagumi to the left side to improve co2 diffusion. I believe that inadequate flow was causing co2 to not disperse to the bottom of the tank which resulting in browning HC. Only time will tell if it turns around.

The last manzi scape is up to date the iwagumi is a photo from a few weeks ago when I got some b. Japonica. The blyxa is doing well right now and is starting to turn light pink, which is exciting!

Two Weeks Ago

Two Weeks Ago

Current

Random Pics

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Really love the look of your office tank. I always wanted to do that deep in a forest look. Bet the shrimp love it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
Really love the look of your office tank. I always wanted to do that deep in a forest look. Bet the shrimp love it.
Thank you. They seem to enjoy it enough to have babies haha!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like your office tank, it looks really good. Well done
Good luck...

FISHY
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Is that xmas moss in the office tank? It looks terrific with those spindly branches. It does look like an ideal shrimp heaven.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys!

It is just standard java moss that likes to branch. I do agree that it does look somewhat like xmas moss!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode