7G Aqua Top 12" Cube DSM Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
7G Aqua Top 12" Cube DSM Journal

Here is a new project I am just getting started with - a nice high clarity nano tank. Lighting will initially be with a 6500K Feit Electric 40W CFL using a Zoo Med deep dome fixture. The unit will be hung with a full sized Zoo Med lamp stand. I went all ADA with Power Sand, Aqua Soil Amazonia II Normal and Powder Type with 9 pounds of Seiryu Stone for the hardscape. A Hydor 25w Hydrokable substrate heater paired with a Hydor Hydroset electronic external thermostat will keep everything toasty. Even though substrate heating is out of style, I love that it is out of sight. I'm old and still recall when Dupla and Tunze cable heaters were the Ferraris of the planted tank world.

More to come as I am installing the fixtures and planting this weekend.

Thanks for looking...

(Thanks to Tony A. for the killer stand! Much love Brother!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	232049  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by andrewjohn007; 11-08-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Addition - shout out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Killer Nano Cube CFL Fixture!

So after I set up the Zoo Med fixture with matching stand, I found that it left something to be desired. It certainly wasn't the intensity of the Feit 40 watt CFL, as the bulb had great color and lit up the tank like a blow torch. Unfortunately it just seemed a little primitive and bulky for what I had envisioned. After burning up the net, I came across this total gem. A 24" gooseneck task lamp from Moffatt. If you want to light up a nano cube with a CFL, I highly recommend this reasonably priced, industrial quality fixture. At the moment I only have a 6500K 13w Phillips CFL installed, which I intend to use throughout the tank's DSM. However, after flooding, a 6500 26W Longstar should fit in there nicely as a replacement and still provide ample PAR for even the pickiest of ground covering flora...

I almost sprung for the Kessil LED, but for less than a third of the price, I decided to turn my back on Mother Earth and offer my share in creating mercury contaminated landfills...

Just check this sexy unit out and maybe you can forgive my toxic carbon footprint...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.3 G with fixture.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	238849  

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
really cool lighting find, looks to be great for smaller sized cubes!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Nice stand! Did you already consider the AquaTop Nano LED light? I'm currently also doing a dry start and it seems to do well over my cube.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I looked up the lamp you have as I am still not 100% fixed on my nano-to-be's lighting but its a bit more pricy then my cheap [bleep] self wants to spend on a lamp, but it certainly does look nice!
Look forward to seeing how this turns out ^^
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

12.28.13 Update (Almost Two Weeks DSM)

After losing patience trying to source some decent Glosso, I decided to go with the tried and true HC as a foreground (read: chickened out on Glosso) and ramp it up with some HM in the midground. I have a lone E. angustifolia ‘Vesuvius’ in the back right that will eventually be joined by two more.

So far I haven't lost but a handful of sprigs that didn't take root. I am aiming to flood this one quicker, but have to build a regulator first. Here we go again...

Still loving the fixture. Tons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12.29.13 7G DSM.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	251849  

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Looking great right now! What do you plan to put in this tank?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the props! I am open to suggestions on the fauna. Schooling types are probably out of the question due to the size constraints. Maybe some smaller labyrinth species?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A few weeks of DSM

HC and HM are spreading nicely. CO2 and filtration in the works...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	258969  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks good! I want that stand, it'd go perfect with my tv stand which is an old dresser painted the same color.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Carpet coming nicely

Time to grow the swords up and across...
Attached Images

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
nicely filling in!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

Looks good, it's hard to get an even center focal hard scape balanced. But you did, I like, I like!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)
Wow!! Your tank filled in really well!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the props! I've said it before and I'll say it again, TPT and it's members have been an invaluable source of information and inspiration. I would love to see more domestic entries into the international competitions....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode