The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

13K views 89 replies 24 participants last post by  billbug68 
#1 ·
Hello all! Well, as the title states, I've decided to set up my 12 long as an Iwagumi again. I originally planned on going with a different look, but decided this would be best, as I already had all the materials on hand, just waiting to be used.

Here is the original attempt...

On my previous setup I was running a Finnex Ray 2, and it was just way too much light. This time around I will be using the Current USA Satellite LED plus. I have to say guys, I LOVE THIS LIGHT! Alright, so lets get down to buisness!

Equipment:
• Tank: Mr Aqua 12 gallon long frameless aquarium
• Filtration: Fluval 106 canister with Cal Aqua Labs lily pipes
• Heater: Hydor 1/2" inline 200 watts
• Lighting: Current USA satellite +
• Co2: GLA Atomic V2 paintball regulator, 20oz paintball tanks, NAG hang on diffuser, eBay special drop checker

Hardscape:
• Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
• Stones: Seiryu

Planned Flora:
• HC or UG carpet, still undecided

Planned Fauna:
• 5-6 Otocinculis
• 16 Neon tetras
• 5+ Amano Shrimp

Well, I think that's about it for now. I've been messing with the hardscape here and there for a few days now. I believe I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I'm a little bummed, as I need just a tad bit more substrate. I want to add a small gradual slope to the right front, to compliment the slope going towards the back left. I guess you'll see what I mean once I can order some more aquasoil... Anyways, here's some quick cell phone pics from this morning. Enjoy! :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I need to add some more aquasoil, but this is all I have ATM. I'll probably order another bag next week some time. I'm going to add just a little bit to the back left and to the front right. Keep in mind there will be a thick carpet eventually... ;) that'll add some height as well.

I dunno about the stones, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I kinda like the V shape I created. It may break the some rules of Iwagumi, but I love utilizing negative space.

#8 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna try to stick to my guns this time and not add any background plants. I enjoyed the first scape the most before I added the Blyxa. However, I've already considered AR mini or some sort of colorful rotala in the center of the main rock formation, with some hydrocotyle in front of that to soften the transition... I'm gonna TRY to just keep it carpet only, though... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Cool Scape! Are you reusing the old AS? If not you could put that under the new AS and use the to create the slope. I usually use pebbles in a net bag to create slopes. It's cheaper than AS and holds the slope longer. But having another bag of AS is always good too. if you have extra AS you could always use it for another tank(or an excuse to get another tank).

#12 ·
Thanks! Unfortunately, this is all the AS I have at the moment. I need to order another bag. I'm also in the process of setting up a 20g grow out tank as well.

Thanks for the tip on building up the slopes, placing the pebbles in mesh bags is a great idea to keep it from mixing in with the AS. I may try that in the future!

#19 ·
Looked earlier in your thread and you posted that your going to use a Fluval 106 on this tank. Don't really have any experience with Hagen products (I'm a Ehiem pimp haha) but comparing the Fluval 6 line w/ the Ehiem Classic line, I think the 106 might be a little underpowered for such a long tank. The Ehiem 2213 is what I've researched as the canister of choice for this tank and the equivalent for the Fluval is 206. How will you lily pipes be set up?
:bounce:

#22 ·
Good to know. I'm still going thru my DSM period so, haven't even turned on my canister yet. Luckily, I can throttle down the flow on my 2213 so it doesn't disturb the scape when I flood. My set-up has both pipes (Cal Aqua nanos) on the same side too so knowing you were successful with that layout is comforting. The tank carpet will be using HC exclussively but may add patches of UG down the line. May be something you might want to try. Hope you enjoy your tank as much as I enjoy mine. :bounce:

#25 ·
Okay, bout to start work right now but I'm gonna try to start replying to all these comments I woke up to!

Of course I remember you bro! I hope all is well! Yeah, I'm considering UG but I'm only receiving a small portion. Plus, the last tank I saw with it had some gnarly lookin roots and runners in the substrate against the front glass. Kinda looked weird, and I'm all OCD about stuff like that. Well see.

Glad to have you here, brother, and happy Veterans Day!

Good to know. I'm still going thru my DSM period so, haven't even turned on my canister yet. Luckily, I can throttle down the flow on my 2213 so it doesn't disturb the scape when I flood. My set-up has both pipes (Cal Aqua nanos) on the same side too so knowing you were successful with that layout is comforting. The tank carpet will be using HC exclussively but may add patches of UG down the line. May be something you might want to try. Hope you enjoy your tank as much as I enjoy mine. :bounce:
I feel that a jet pipe would do this tank better than the standard lily pipes that kind of send the flow down at an angle, rather than straight across the tank like a jet pipe would. I honestly liked the flow better with the stock fluval in and outs, but the lily pipes look so much better! ;) The circulation in the last setup was obviously greatly reduces once I added all the blyxa, which is one of the reasons I'll be trying to stick with carpet only this time around.

#26 ·
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

What ya'll do in such little space is awesome. As I'm lease locked to ten gallon or less, I've tried to get smaller types of
plants growing so my tank will be/look in a better size perspective. My issue is that I really don't want "fantastic" plant
growth. So no Co2($) but regular Excel(at manufacturers suggested doses, not higher)and Leaf Zone/Pride/Sea Chem Flourite
and API Pure Laterite mixed substrate. And I grossly overkilled the lights by buying an Odyssea T5 dual bulb fixture.
Watching this and other similar threads to learn more about all this...thank you.
Thanks dude! I hope you find your way with your tank, good luck! ;)

#24 ·
What ya'll do in such little space is awesome. As I'm lease locked to ten gallon or less, I've tried to get smaller types of
plants growing so my tank will be/look in a better size perspective. My issue is that I really don't want "fantastic" plant
growth. So no Co2($) but regular Excel(at manufacturers suggested doses, not higher)and Leaf Zone/Pride/Sea Chem Flourite
and API Pure Laterite mixed substrate. And I grossly overkilled the lights by buying an Odyssea T5 dual bulb fixture.
Watching this and other similar threads to learn more about all this...thank you.

#32 ·
Decided to go with HC again.

I like the idea of HC with some hairgrass patches around the stones. This is something I wanted to do with the last scape, but went another direction.

So, Friday night became dry start night. This is my first attempt at a dry start, so tips and tricks are welcome, and greatly appreciated.

#35 ·
Personally, I like to do dry starts. I think that you can establish a root network that holds tighter when flooded. When I dry start I cover my tank in saran wrap then tape 3 sides of the tank down air tight. I leave one end open to do my occasional misting, however, on your tank you may need both ends open due to the length. Also, once my HC starts to grow well I trim it and spread the trimmings out to increase the spread rate.

The layout looks great! Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.