Getting back into planted tank - 10g test tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back into planted tank - 10g test tank

Hi guys!

I just recently decided to get back into the hobby with a simple 10g tank setup.

Hardware: 10g all-glass tank, hood
2x19w spiral flourescent 5000 kevin
Pressurize CO2 (shared with my Ca reactor for my saltwater tank)
Aquaclear HOB 200gph
Redsea C02 diffuser (this thing doesn't do the job it claims to)

The tank was set up about 2 months ago. This is to test my skill before I take the bait and do a 75-120g tank with big school of cardinal and rummy nose (my two very favorite fishies).

The pics are pretty crappy since I only have a cheapo Canon A95. Don't laugh please!

Full tank shot. There is a depth to the tank that the camera doesn't pick up at all. You guys just have to take my words for it. The plants are growing very nicely. I trimmed them several times already. I'm still waiting for the HC to wake up and grow into a nice lawn on the right side

Java fern closeup, this is a plantlet that is growing rapidly

Pearlgrass closeup

Creeping jenny closeup

Rotala indica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Beautiful tank. I just love how its so pleasing to the eye. I think your ready for a larger tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Great come back. Excellent layout, you did an awsome job.

One thing I would do though is cut those Java Lace leafs with the BBA on them to prevent it fro spreading to the rest of the plant. Or you could just give them am excell treatment directly on the infected areas.

Besides that I think its a great start!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
It is very nice.
i like the plant selection, but i think your fish selection needs weaking, quickly.
I counted 20 fish in the first pic, way too much for a ten.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Correction, 21 fish . I agree way too much for a 10g!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:35 PM

yeah, i see neons or cards (i can't tell) rummynose, and some little rainbows. the fish will behave more naturally and look more pleasing for a planted tank if you stick with all one species of schooling fish
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow, I didn't know that people actually counted my fish! Great job counting guys!

There are no algae on the java ferns. All of the old leaves of my java ferns have these black dots. I am no botanical expert but if they behave anything like real ferns, these are their spores!

I set the tank up mostly with the pseudomugil furcata and threadfin rainbow in mind. However, when I saw tank-raised cardinal and rummy nose that are healthy, vibrant and available at the LFS, I just couldn't pass them up. They will go into the big tank that I am setting up.

I am appreciative of all the inputs, however:

1. One's sense of aesthetic appeal is different from others. While I like having only one or two species of schooling fish in one tank myself (hence the above explanation), there is nothing wrong with having three, four or five species in the same tank if they behave peacefully to one another. On a related subject, it drives me nuts when I look at the judge's comments on the aquatic-gardeners.org aquascape contest and saw they always criticized the artificially bred colored varieties of fish, whether it is discuss or anything else. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder folks!

2. As far how much fish is too much, it all depends on how big the fish is, how efficient the filtration system is, and how often and how big water change is. While eventually the fish population in this tank will be thinned out, currently there is no problem. I personally like less fish in the tank since it is easier to keep algae under control,\. But if one decides to keep 21 fish in a tank with a good filtration system, thick plant growth, and frequent water change, and the fish don't hover at the surface gasping for air, then what is the problem?

Again, I am very appreciative of the input and am not trying to be argumentative. I just want to offer another viewpoint!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

while i agree with your opinions, one i don't agree with is the #2.
There is only so much room in an aquarium. i agree, overstocking can be done, but ther's a point where enough is enough. It's like putting You in a 20ft.x10ft room with 20 other people for months on end.
yes, you could live, but you wouldn't be comfortable at all.

Since you have small fish, and obviously have intentions to move some out into a large tank(right?) it's not so bad, it's temporary right?
If they were say small cichlids or gouramies, that wouldn't work.
just make sure you keep up waterchanges!!!

-Devin-
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
while i agree with your opinions, one i don't agree with is the #2.
There is only so much room in an aquarium. i agree, overstocking can be done, but ther's a point where enough is enough. It's like putting You in a 20ft.x10ft room with 20 other people for months on end.
yes, you could live, but you wouldn't be comfortable at all.

Since you have small fish, and obviously have intentions to move some out into a large tank(right?) it's not so bad, it's temporary right?
If they were say small cichlids or gouramies, that wouldn't work.
just make sure you keep up waterchanges!!!
I agree. Temporary situations like this one is fine but as long as it stays temporary. I think 10 Neons and a Betta really is the Maximum if you were going to have a large school but thats even pushing it. Can be done but theres always negatives. You did make good points to counter our points, and these are our counters to your counter!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM

and i never said you CAN'T have more than one species in a tank, but schooling fish behave more naturally when you only have one species of SCHOOLING fish. that doesn't mean you can't have some algae eaters and a single, pair, or trio of centerpiece fish. but it tends to get confusing when you have say 6 neons, 6 rummynose, and 6 harlequin rasboras. the fish tend to scatter and not form a nice tight school like they would if you had just 18 rasboras, or just 18 neons, or just 18 rummynose.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All of us have heard of the "inch per gallon" rule; but I wonder on what bases it was formed? Obviously there is a limit to how much you can stock a tank, but how do we know what that limit is? Any tank would be too small comparing to the natural environment where wild fish come from. How do you know that ten neons and a betta would be "pushing it" in a 10g tank? I'd say the only way to know is to observe the fish: if they eat, grow, reproduce and don't act stress, then you are ok.

This would be the end of my argument on the subject.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13 View Post
and i never said you CAN'T have more than one species in a tank, but schooling fish behave more naturally when you only have one species of SCHOOLING fish. that doesn't mean you can't have some algae eaters and a single, pair, or trio of centerpiece fish. but it tends to get confusing when you have say 6 neons, 6 rummynose, and 6 harlequin rasboras. the fish tend to scatter and not form a nice tight school like they would if you had just 18 rasboras, or just 18 neons, or just 18 rummynose.
I have never traveled to the Amazon to see how fish school, but I think different species do school together! Also, it is thought that fish school to avoid predators. I observed this first hand in my previous 55g tank. When the plants were small, the tetras would school together, especially when I approached the tank; but when the tank was filled with more plants, they would not school anymore (since they felt more secure?)

Like you, I do like just one or two species of schooling fish in a tank; but that only means that you and I share the same opinion; it doesn't mean that opinion is somehow more valid then others. If the idea of having 6 neons, 6 rummynose, and 6 harlequin rasboras rocks somebody's boat, by all means let them have at it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well, rummies wil school with most anything, most tetras and rasbos won't school together.
they may if under frightfull conditions.

i agree, if you like 3 small schools over a big one, so be it.

the 1"/gallon rule is a general rule, like a guide line.
it doesn't apply to nano tanks, discus, goldfish(they need like 20 gallons ea. really.), large fish, african cichlids, and more.

but, be reasonable, 21 small slender fish can live in a ten ok, but it's no paradise.

I think 10 neons and a betta is ok for a 10, you could add algae eaters and snails and shrimp and still be good.

but, when there's all fish, and a lot of them, it gets a bit crowded, talking swimming room here.

Ok, i'm through with the argument, at least we know they'll be ok.

-Devin-
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Better pics

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

those are much better.
Can you get into the HM lawn to scrub the algea?lol.

-Devin-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode