Artificial plant aquascape... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Artificial plant aquascape...

Since I'm poor college kid on a severely limited budget, I can't afford to drop hundreds on plants or supplies. However that doesn'tkeep me from practicing my aquascaping skills.

My mother is in love with my 30 gallon planted guppy tank. She wanted me to do something like that in her 55 gallon, very dimly lit community tank. Knowing she was not prepared to make the investments neccessary to make her tank look like the ones I've shown her in books and here...for mothers day I gave her the next best thing. I went to and arts and crafts chain store and bought like $60 worth of artificial plants. I took them home, rinsed them really, really well and I spent th next 4-5 hours creating this...

Although it's all fake, and you don't get the true awe you get from a beautifully planted tank, I still really am happy with how it looks. Dear Mother wouldn't have the patience to put up with maintenence on a tank like that, but she can still have that look.

What do you guys think? Tacky...or a good way to practice design on a dime, so to speak.

~Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:24 PM

it looks really nice, but u do know that plastic plants cost more than real ones
an they dont really need that much maintenance

defo a good way to practice but your obvious scaping talents are wasted, im only 16 and i use real plants, some people such as resguy are younger!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Nice but live plants will be much better. Great way to practice scaping though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have several planted tanks of my own, I'm all about live plants...but for mothers day I couldn't afford to get her all the lights, plants, CO2, etc and it would certainly be more than the $60 spend.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think it looks very nice and a nice gesture on your part. I know everyone here is all about live plants,including me, but some people like the look but not the price and maintenance. Im sure yoour mother is very happy.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Very nice! Can't ever go wrong with a Buddha if you ask me. It just has that 'tranquility' thing about it. The curving substrate is a really nice touch, drawing the eye along from the statue to the palm fronds on the right.

You know, a non-aquarium person would probably look at that and think 'wow!' more than if they saw a real planted tank.

Have you added any ramshorn snails in there? The micro-rough surfaces of plastic plants are a magnet for algae and very hard to clean I've heard, so recruiting some help may be a good idea.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:52 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was going to say the same thing. Fake plants seem to attract brown algae pretty easily. I would look into ottos over snails though. They don't reproduce nearly as fast lol.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Best looking fake plants tank I have ever seen. Congrats.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM

this guys the takashi amano of fake plants
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
if you limit yourself to the fake plants they sell in pet stores then yeah, your tank is gonna look like crap. if you integrate many of the plastic and silk plants they sell in craft stores, then the possibilities are endless as long as you don't get carried away and start "growing" underwater tea roses besides good filtration and avoiding over feeding, a way to reduce the brown gunk from forming on plastic and silk plant parts is to dose your tank Monthly with Chemiclean red slime cyano bacteria remover which may be an "off label" solution, but it works!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Doesn't look bad at all. Not feeling the plastic Buddha, but to each his own....

For some cool plastic plant scapes, check out www.aquariumdesigngroup.com's gallery.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
check out www.aquariumdesigngroup.com gallery
I Vote this Stupid Design of the Year
Guy's got a view of his porch and pool
and he blocks it with a clear back tank,
that makes his fireplace look ridiculous.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
NIce scape with the fakes.
they are making it easier, the people who make plastic plants.
they now have hairgrass, you should do a foreground.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Wow! I would have never believed that plastic plants could actually make a tank look good. I'll bet your mom loves it!

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
I love this tank! Great job!

Not everyone can keep live plants, and I think this is a great example of what can be done with silk plants.

Eheim Pimpette #230

is the remedy for stupidity.

It's not the size of the tank, but how you use it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode