My shrimp tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My shrimp tank...

Ok so I have been a member of this site for like 3 days now... and i have been staring at it all week while at work (sun-tue lol) Now tomorrow is my day off and I would like to start my shrimp tank... But before i do that i would like to tell you all my plan so if something is wrong you can stop me before i get to far into it.

1)The tank is about 5gal. Dont remember of the top of my head.

2)I am leaning towards the dirt meth with MGOPM and Black Diomand so the shrimp and plants will stand out.

3)I am wanting to use " Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump " x2

4)For my light i would like to see if i could get the "14W Daylight CFL (walmart brand) in the "stock" hood.

Did i mention i am trying to do this build as cheap as poss because im not "allowed" to spend money right now due to my wedding comming up???

How big of a tank will the Black Diomand do? im guessing i will have left over from the little tank and would like to poss mix it with my Petco Sand i have in my 56c and due the dirt meth in that as well...

I thank you in advance for your feed back and for reading my post. I will add pics as soon as I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
You can get 50lbs of bdbs for around 9.00

I've done two five gallons, a ten gallon and a 20 long with one bag.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Make sure the bulb/bulbs are 6500k or close to it, not just "Daylight". Some daylight bulbs are 6500k but others are 5000k and I have even seen 3200k that say daylight.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Actually it's advised to have a couple different bulbs for your lighting, this is because of chlorophyll A and chlorophyll B nanometer (nm) wavelengths that encourage better plants growth. See image below

As you can see the best wavelengths for lighting are around 420nm (blue) and 660nm (red), this is why you see people like Tom Barr using multiple bulb lighting systems for their tanks because the bulbs they are using cover the entire nanometer wavelengths that aquatic plants grow at. For my T5HO quad (4 bulb) lighting system I plan to go with 1 x Aquawave red 3000k, 1 x power chrome aqua flora, 1 x ATI Blue Special 12,000k, and 1 x 6500k

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 11-06-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
what kinds of plants are you planning on?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Today's update:

I picked the tank up from my moms and it is just a cheap-o 5gal bow front walmart tank. She also gave me $10 to get lunch which i used for getting the back blacked out. Gotta love moms!

Here are a few pics...

Went to my buddy who does car decals and had him wrap the back in black car vinyl.

Sorry for the dirty glass. lol.

So with that said i checked to see if the CFL light would fit in the hood and it does... For now i just threw in a 60watt=14watt actual usage but it is only a 5000k. I will have to get a 6500k on my next trip to walmart.

As for plants, i do not know what i am going to plant, any suggestions are welcome!!!! As i am still new to this i do not really know what i can grow with said bulb^ and what the shrimp will "Like".

I am taking a trip to a local shop tonight that i found out about on here just to take a look and see if maybe i can get my filters, if not i will order them on amazon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So i just ordered my sponge filter and air pump. it will be here friday so tomorrow im going to tractor supply and home depot to get my bdbs and mgopm then all i will need is plants, and other scaping items! I figured that since the tank is only a 5gal i would only go with one sponge filter... i can always add another one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So i have been housing my fish in the 5gal tank for the last few days while i was trying to get my 56g tank redone. And with my dad going in the hospital on tue it was a little hard to get it do, but today i finally got some time to do it, take a few pics and post a quick update before i go back up to the hos. so here are the pics!

Before:

during:

After:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sry for the flash in some of the pics. Im hoping that the hair grass will grow around the stump end...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So update on my shrimp tank, I went yesterday and got 8 shrimps that moved in last night. They also have two room mates (snails). Pics will come up later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode